General Bird of Prey Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: General Bird of Prey Discussion

Post by alethe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 pm

hawks, in the united states, are not social animals and will not flock together. The raptor you are likely seeing is a kite--either a mississippi kite or a swallow tailed kite!

we don't have swallow tailed kites in my area, so i don't know too horribly much about them, but mississippi kites look like this and they make cute "pew pew" sounds.

They mainly eat bugs and small birds. they are migratory; they migrate to the USA all the way from Argentina! they are mostly here in the spring/summer time.

swallow tailed kites look like this.

edit: actually, i stand corrected. there IS a hawk that is a pack hunter in the USA! the harris hawk. it lives in the deserts of Arizona to Texas. they hunt in family bands of around 5-6 members.
they stack on each other too, because they don't like their bums being spiked by cactus and bird back is softer than cactus spines, haha.

some falconers have also tried to fly aplomado falcons in a cast (in falconry, groups of birds used to hunt are called a cast), but i'm not sure the success of those birds being used as they usually aren't social.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:43 pm

I once spotted an owl sitting on a bird feeder! I have also spotted vultures eating fox or deer roadkill.
Did you know that WILD golden eagles prey on adult reindeer!
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 pm

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:43 pm
Golden eagles can take down wolves, too. It's usually falconry eagles, but wild ones are certainly capable of it (though less inclined to make an attempt)!
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 pm

valkea wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 pm
elkhunter123456 wrote:
Golden eagles can take down wolves, too. It's usually falconry eagles, but wild ones are certainly capable of it (though less inclined to make an attempt)!
Nice fact! could you tell me about the relationship between eagles and coyotes in yellowstone? (Predation or competition)
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 pm
valkea wrote:
elkhunter123456 wrote:
Nice fact! could you tell me about the relationship between eagles and coyotes in yellowstone? (Predation or competition)
yeah I don't really know anything about that, sorry.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 am

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 pm
valkea wrote:
elkhunter123456 wrote:
Competition, mostly. eagles and coyotes are scavengers for the most part. eagles do not hunt unless they absolutely have to, and would rather steal their food or scavenge. as far as i'm aware, coyotes are similar in behavior. usually a bird won't prey on another predator; keep in mind they all want to survive in the long run.

here is a video of an eagle stealing from a fox: https://vimeo.com/272024913
a bit graphic (dead bunny and the fox gets tossed around a little but is mostly uninjured)

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:36 pm

I recently moved out west in the US, and was blown away by the number of raptors just on the side of the highway. Like Rough-legged and Ferruginous hawks. Oof, they are gorgeous. That and I saw some Golden Eagles cruising around. I have seen a few in Cape May and up in Appalachia Pennsylvania (I actually caught one at a banding station too), but something about it being out west made it more special.

I wanna watch that video really badly that you posted Alethe, but my wifi is terrible. I can see the title though, and of course it's a bald eagle hahaha. They are the biggest punks. If I had a dollar for the number of times I saw bald eagles harassing osprey for their fish...

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:44 am

Ospreys are my favorite birds of prey. I grew up in a town along the North Platte River, and I would see them every year during the summer. There are pairs that would return to the same nesting platform and raise offspring every year. I was able to observe some behaviors like bringing nesting material back and diving for fish. Now I live in an eastern state, but the city I live in is also along a river, so I've seen ospreys on occasion in late summer and early fall.

Other species I've seen in the wild are seen bald eagles, golden eagles, turkey vultures and some hawk species such as marsh hawks, kestrels and red-tailed hawks.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Speaking of ospreys! I did a big gravel ride this summer to a lake that had ospreys. Here are some phone pictures of their nests that I saw:

DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur