Inner ear structure lets cheetahs keep heads still in sprint

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Inner ear structure lets cheetahs keep heads still in sprint

Post by Koa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm

How Cheetahs Keep Their Heads Still While Sprinting
By Elaina Zachos, Feb. 5, 2018
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

A new report, published February 2 in Scientific Reports, shows that certain parts of the cheetah's inner ear help to make it a better hunter. The study marks the first time researchers have analyzed the big cats' inner ear.
Read the full article here:
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... nting-spd/

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Re: Inner ear structure lets cheetahs keep heads still in sp

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 am

I always find it amazing how they do that. Cheetahs rank on my list of top 3 favourite animals, so this is pretty interesting to me. Another thing I find amazing about cheetahs would be the King cheetah (Acinonyx rex).

Big cats seem to be good at have having special skills. Cheetahs of course, excel in speed, whereas lions and tigers seem to be built for power. I find they're very fascinating creatures.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am

ForeverEverest wrote:I always find it amazing how they do that. Cheetahs rank on my list of top 3 favourite animals, so this is pretty interesting to me. Another thing I find amazing about cheetahs would be the King cheetah (Acinonyx rex).

Big cats seem to be good at have having special skills. Cheetahs of course, excel in speed, whereas lions and tigers seem to be built for power. I find they're very fascinating creatures.
As the Wikipedia article stares, Acinonyx rex was its proposed species name. It’s no longer considered a separate species by the individual who proposed that name, because it exhibits a different mutation and nothing more.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 am

Koa wrote:As the Wikipedia article stares, Acinonyx rex was its proposed species name. It’s no longer considered a separate species by the individual who proposed that name, because it exhibits a different mutation and nothing more.
I kinda see the name Acinonyx rex as a name for cheetahs affected by the mutation personally, but yes, I see your point. I love the stripes down the back, and the slightly different spots. From what I've heard, they're a lot like white tigers. Sounds like a few are being kept in zoos, and being bred to keep a few with this interesting mutation around.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack