California Academy of Sciences: 3d Skull Views

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

California Academy of Sciences: 3d Skull Views

Post by alethe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 pm

http://legacy.calacademy.org/academy/exhibits/skulls/
Compare skull characteristics using these high-resolution 3D images

See what you can learn about the animals connected to the 3D skull scans in this gallery. By comparing a variety of characteristics—from tusks to eye sockets—you’ll learn more about how they protect themselves, what they eat, how they see the world, and even how humans have sometimes influenced the processes of natural selection.
How were these 3D images created?

Academy scientists and technicians partnered with Google to create interactive images of specimens from our research collections using an advanced, automated 3D imaging technique.

Note: The 3D images in this gallery were created using state-of-the-art technology, and consequently are not viewable on all web browsers. The 3D viewer is currently supported on the following browsers: Chrome 18 (or later) and Firefox 28 (or later). The viewer is not currently supported on tablet or mobile browsers.
I just found this, and because I adore skulls and bones, I just had to share. sad they didn't have more birds, though. I've been wanting to 3d model an owl skull to 3d print for education purposes at the raptor center I work at, and was hoping this would have an amazing reference image.

But the wolf skull it has in it is awesome. An entire section for canines, in fact.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: California Academy of Sciences: 3d Skull Views

Post by Koa » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks for sharing! If I recall correctly, wolf.org also has wolf skulls but these might be less dated.

Pegasos
Pup
Pup
Name: Maisa, Masaa

Re: California Academy of Sciences: 3d Skull Views

Post by Pegasos » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 am

Thanks for sharing! A secret whisper, would be nice to see these also on the game.
av by LupinzPack