Most irritating animal misconceptions

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Re: Most irritating animal misconceptions

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Hm, well....where do I start? Oh, I know... (some serious sass below, be warned!)

- Wolves have a strict hierarchy, like Alpha, Beta, Omega, etc. Just, no...stop it.
- Wolves are 'saints' and can do no wrong; for example they don't surplus kill, their welfare goes above everything else (people are complaining they were recently delisted from the ESA, despite their populations being HEALTHY)
- You can successfully take a wolf puppy from the wild and expect it to act like a dog, because its so cute and how can cute animals possibly do anything wrong!?

- Dogs don't see colour, they only see black and white. No, they can see colour, just not LIKE us. They can't see certain colours as well or as vivid. They can see the colour blue for example quite clearly, but they can't distinguish red and green very well

- Reptiles, like snakes, are evil and disgusting and should be wiped off the face of the planet. They do nothing.
- Amphibians are slimy, abhorrent, stink, and are disgusting creatures.

- We evolved FROM monkeys. No. Monkeys and Humans have a shared/common ancestor, we branched off separately into our own species from there. For use to 'evolve from chimps' that would mean there would be no more chimps
- Monkeys are cute & cuddly and are our best friends forever. No

- Daddy long legs are spiders, have fangs, are poisonous & can kill humans.

- Mother birds abandon their young when you touch them.

- Bats are blind.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:54 am

- A whale shark is a whale (nope, it's considered a shark even though it's big and doesn't eat meat)

- All musquitoes bite (to be honest, some species of musquitoes live on nectar from certain plants.)

- Kiwi birds don't have wings (They do have wings but they're very small and are hidden under their feathers)

- Kiwi birds have hairs instead of feathers (They have feathers that look like hairs)

- Platypus are not mammals (They clearly are, there a documentaries out there that show platypus laying eggs and when the eggs hatch, their young start drinking their milk)
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Mozzarella
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mozzarella » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:- Daddy long legs are spiders, have fangs, are poisonous & can kill humans.
This one probably comes from the fact that there are three creatures commonly called "Daddy long legs". Only one of them is a spider (the cellar spider), and none of them are dangerous to humans.

Now that that's out of the way:
-Insects aren't animals.
-Humans aren't animals.
-Spiders are evil and are out to get you.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:44 pm

-Cats are mean and don't love you. (Can't stand this one.)
-Platypuses are teal. (It may sound like a joke but I had this conversation before with multiple people. They are BROWN, not teal.)

And finally, the big one.

-Animals don't have feelings. (They DO, and they are living breathing creatures just like us with personalities, lives, and emotion.)
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

Obedear
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Obedear » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:36 pm

-Pitbulls (or any kind of dog breed for that matter) can't be dangerous unless they're trained to be.
-Wild animals, raised in captivity from birth, are inherently tame.
Let me explain
This ugliness, this cruelty, this repulsiveness
It will all die out
And now, I cry for all that is beautiful

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Opheya wrote:-Pitbulls (or any kind of dog breed for that matter) can't be dangerous unless they're trained to be.
adding to this thought:
-- pitbulls are extremely aggressive 100% of the time because they're fighting dogs and that is all they are. man love hearing about that one.

anyway, on a different note:
-- you can get warts from touching a frog/toad
-- touching a baby bird with bare hands is an automatic death sentence because the mother bird will not accept the tiny bird spawn due to human scent being on them
-- BATS ARE BLIND ??????? they have eyes why do you think they have them if they CANNOT SEE OUT OF THEM??????
-- wasps will leave you alone if you leave them alone. okay first of all wasps are literally useless and they're tools so they will go after anything that they don't like. you could honestly just look at one the wrong way and it will sting you. second of all wasps are evil. thank you.
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
............ ............
sig © twinlinskis

Geronino
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Ari!

Post by Geronino » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:40 pm

A couple:

-Owls can turn their heads around 360 degrees.

-Sheep just follow the flock and can’t think for themselves.

-Ostriches bury their heads in the sand. (very popular one by the way.)

-Pigs are dirty.

-Bulls are enraged by the color red.

-Elephants are scared of mice. (I believed this one and the last one thanks to Disney.)

-If you cut an earthworm in half, you will get two worms.
`·.`·.`·.`·.`·.(`·.¸ ¸.·´).·´.·´.·´.·´.·´
ι нανє ησт ƒαιє
ι'νє נυѕт ƒσυη 10,000 ωαуѕ тнαт ωση'т ωσяк
`.¸¸.`.¸¸.´¯`.¸¸.´.¸¸.´
:: av/sig/quote/LupinzPack/Samber/Thomas A. Edison ::

Uzumaaki
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Uzumaaki » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:13 pm

- parrots make really good pets because they're easy to take care of and they talk all the time

parrots are messy and loud and need constant attention. they have temper tantrums like children, they need constant stimulation to keep them occupied and happy, they have to have very diverse diets to stay healthy, they vary in personality and might not even like their owner, some don't talk, they can get depressed and self-mutilate- they're really complex animals. i love my parrot but he's so hard to deal with sometimes. people really have to do research into parrots before considering owning one.
av by theinfinite

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:18 pm

- falconry birds are pets
lol sweetie no (:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm

- Chickens are stupid and only good for eating (Not true, in fact, it's been scientifically proven that chickens are quite intelligent and they make affectionate pets as well as good pest control, as they eat mice and insects and other critters that are considered nuisances)

- Dog dominance fights are for Alpha-hood (Not at all, dominance fights are for resources, like food and mating rights, and the dog with the rights is something that's always changing)

- Pitbulls are harmless

- Pitbulls are killers

(Pitbulls are genetically prone to aggression due to their breeding, but can be good pets if you can handle them and keep them from having aggression issues, but they're not harmless saints either)

- Black panthers are a separate species (NOPE. They're melanistic leopards and jaguars)

- Pandas are cute and therefore harmless (They can get quite aggressive if you're not careful)

CanisLatransCoyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by CanisLatransCoyote » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:42 pm

The ones that irritate me the most are:

-Hyenas are evil, ugly, stupid, cowardly good for nothing scavengers.

-Tigers are bloodthirsty monsters.

-Wolves are evil, bloodthirsty monsters.

-Coyotes are evil, bloodthirsty, and out to kill you.

-Foxes are vermin.

-Wolves are gods.

-Black cats are bad luck.

-Cats don't love you.

-Pet rats = sewer rats.

-Pitbulls are evil.

-The [Insert Animal Here] is the best and better than any other animal.

-Dogs are better than cats.

-Cats are better than dogs.

-White tigers, golden tigers and any other colour variant of tiger is only achieved through inbreeding and crossbreeding.

-White tigers, golden tigers, etc are seperate species and are critically endangered.

-Lions are evil.

-Humans aren't animals.

-CanisLatrans :pawprint:

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:31 pm

The various negative stereotypes about cats.

Hyenas are vile evil scavengers that steal from lions. - If you look it up, lions actually steal from them more, and hyenas hunt most of what they eat.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am

CanisLatransCoyote wrote: -White tigers, golden tigers and any other colour variant of tiger is only achieved through inbreeding and crossbreeding.
i seriously hate to rain on your parade, but this "misconception" is true.
https://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/the-tr ... te-tigers/
https://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/8-fast ... te-tigers/
https://bigcatrescue.org/abuse-issues/i ... te-tigers/
http://tigersinamerica.org/whitetiger.htm
Today there are no white tigers in the wild. The last one was shot by a trophy hunter in 1958. There are 200 white tigers in captivity, the product of nine generations of inbreeding.

There's a reason why, in the United States, no AZA Accredited Zoo can breed them anymore. I'd take a gamble and say all white tigers in captivity are inbred in some way. The way the gene structure works (double recessive), it is easiest to get these crosses by inbreeding them.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 am

I find it annoying when people think "It's a predator, it'll eat you!".
I also find the misunderstandings of hyenas drive me crazy. I can stand and watch them for a long time at the zoo, and there are often adults telling their kids all kinds of junk. Usually Lion King related to be honest. Someone once said "Hyenas are mean, they ate Mufasa!" or some other junk like that. I mean, first of all, The Lion King is fictional. And second, that's not what happened in The lion king. The Lion King's hyenas are very inaccurate in my opinion. The colouration is wrong, they make dog sounds, and they act stupid. However, I do think they work quite well with the storyline, but that sadly leads to more misunderstanding about real hyenas. Hyenas are actually more closely related to cats than dogs, and are extremely intelligent.

If anyone's curious about spotted hyenas and would like to read a little about them, here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_hyena
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Sun May 13, 2018 12:41 pm

I don’t find very many misconceptions irritating to be honest, as most people usually just don’t know better/haven’t spent their time to fact check everything, which is fair. With so many different sources telling you different things it can be hard to know which is trustworthy, too.

The only ones that can really get me annoyed are the claims that a certain animal is bad/evil/unfeeling because its behavior doesn’t line up with what us humans generally deem “good”. I recently had a conversation that ended with the person disliking the animal because it didn’t mate for life, and that really grinds my gears.
--
► ϟϟ[ϟ]ϟϟ ◀︎
I've lost my way within this town
ϟ
බƖƦƀƠƝƎ꒚
ϟ
The tranquil ᎶᏞᎾᎳ of the song I know, it guides me
▴ ϟϟϟϟ⎶[ϟ]⎶ϟϟϟϟ ▴
--
ѕιggιє@NoyaTusk
αννιє@LupinzPack