Most irritating animal misconceptions

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Most irritating animal misconceptions

Post by La Striata » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:27 am

The Jackson's chameleon is a pygmy Triceratops... Seriously, I've heard this being proposed.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Rawhead
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rawhead » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 pm

La Striata wrote:The Jackson's chameleon is a pygmy Triceratops... Seriously, I've heard this being proposed.

This made my evening. They do have a visual resemblance. It's completely understandable that any sane, moderately cultured person would think a pet-store chameleon was actually a pocket dinosaur...
:roll:

I want one.
╭━━━━━━━━━╮╭┓┈┈┏╮
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃┃╰╮╭╯┃
┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┃╰━┓┏━╯
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈╰━━╯┃
Hiya
┣━━━━━━╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┃Hiya
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯Hiya

_Nimbus_
Pup
Pup

Post by _Nimbus_ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:25 pm

-The maned wolf is a wolf.
Shh, shh, do you hear that? Those are the winds of change.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:20 pm

- Spotted hyenas are stupid, clumsy animals (they're actually smarter than wolves and agile enough to avoid the paw swipes of a lion).

- Chimps are cute hobbit-like creatures (the adults are actually huge, and strong enough to tear a person's arm off)
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 am

That carnivorous dinosaurs [bar a few] were more closely related to Lizards than birds.
It truth, they are closer to birds.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Latra

Post by Latra » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Squirrels are stupid rodents. I doubt anyone believes this (except my grandfather, and he does say this a lot) Pigeons are rats with wings. Uhm frogs are slimy.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 am

It's possible for feathers to evolve into reptilian scales. That's seriously what people unable to accept that Velociraptor had feathers seem to think. Its predecessors (like Microraptor) were unambiguously feathered, and there is no evidence whatsoever of any feathered organism reverting to reptilian scales.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 am

That any domestic animal can be released into the wild.

As in like pet dogs could be released into the wild, I've heard so many people saying they would release dogs into the wild once they were older etc.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Aeva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aeva » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 pm

That goldfish have 3 second attention spans. They actually retain memories for months.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:53 pm

• Attention span and memory are different things though.

This is relevant:
    time wrote:No longer can we boast about 12 seconds of coherent thought

The average attention span for the notoriously ill-focused goldfish is nine seconds, but according to a new study from Microsoft Corp., people now generally lose concentration after eight seconds, highlighting the affects of an increasingly digitalized lifestyle on the brain.
    Source: http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

That humans aren't physically good at anything. We are actually excellent long-distance runners in hot conditions.

Aeva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aeva » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Well, despite the two things being different by definition, I'm assuming they should at least be related. You're right, though. But I'm pretty sure goldfish don't have 9 second attention spans.
Scientist have proven that goldfish memory spans are nowhere near as short as three seconds. Your goldfish can actually remember things for at least five months!

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:06 am

- The ostrich is the biggest modern bird (it actually was the elephant bird, which went extinct relatively recently and was the size of a young T. rex).

- Cheetahs live exclusively in Africa (there are cheetahs in Iran too).

- All non-human great apes are knuckle walkers (orangutans actually walk on the sides of their palms).

Stang
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Stang » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Horse Movies...

You do not feed a wild horse an apple and they suddenly love you forever. >.<

-Wild horses don't know what an apple is and can take weeks or months for them to even try it. When they do eat it for the first time, they bob their heads up and down and make funny faces like they just ate a lemon or something.... It's kind of funny at first. Then they realize it isn't so bad....Or some don't ever like apples...
-Wild horses don't associate food with your hand out to them. For all they know you're trying to touch them with a fireball.
-A freshly caught horse on average seems to take about a year to fully become 'domesticated' -- although there are always exceptions.
- Wild horses can be very destructive when it comes to their freedom or being away from other horses....I've had a yearling attempt to jump an eight foot fence.

Most horse movies be little how difficult it is to earn a feral horses trust, the relationship takes a lot of work and time to get there. Nonetheless it can be done.

With that said, the Black Stallion is not all that unrealistic, so gold star for them. :)
Mistelee
ϟ °.°.° ϟ
ϟ .°. ϟ
ϟ ~||~||~ ϟ
We, the wolves of the Silent Storm begin our rebirth.
Will you survive the storm?
\/~\/~\/~\/
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75928
Av/Sig © Name/Lupa

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 am

Stang wrote:Horse Movies...

Most horse movies be little how difficult it is to earn a feral horses trust, the relationship takes a lot of work and time to get there. Nonetheless it can be done.
I'd like to add that contrary to what's often written in romanticised depictions of medieval warfare, horses also don't suddenly go insane at the smell and sight of blood on battlefields. I once knew someone from a horse-eating country who regularly butchered horse carcasses without eliciting any measure of response from the live ones close by.

TheSeaWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by TheSeaWolf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:42 am

-Constrictor snakes (or any snake, really) are evil and dangerous.

-"That's not a whale, it's a dolphin!" Well dolphins are toothed whales. Cetacea = Whales, Dolphins = Cetaceans, Dolphins = Whales. Funny, why does no one say "That's not a whale, it's a rorqual!" or "That's not a whale, it's a Monodontid!" "That's not a canid, it's a wolf!" Just...just, stop, please. Stop butchering cetacean taxonomy. Just no.

-The fact that a cobra is the logo of some sports team called "The Vipers." Cobras aren't vipers. They're elapids.
Celebrating our oceans and the sea wolves who depend on them.
Proud leader of the Azure Mist Archipelago Pack. PM me for details or join our Discord server!
[Avatar by me!]