Most irritating animal misconceptions

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: Most irritating animal misconceptions

Post by alethe » Fri May 25, 2018 2:56 pm

that dogs are "uwu angels" and can't do any harm.
like no, dogs are predators, and can still harm smaller dogs, cats, birds, and other animals, even in "play." control them when in public, especially around unfamiliar animals.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am

The idea that tigers and jaguars, who are excellent swimmers, dislike water simply because domestic cats do.
The myth that Pitbulls can never be good pets; I have firsthand experience that this is not true.
The idea that hyenas are cowardly scavengers.
The myth that the wolves reintroduced to Yellowstone are "giant arctic wolves" is probably the most annoying for me.

In regards to the wild animals as pets myth, I read a book about the zoo that had many misconceptions about wolves. It went something like this: "Captured young enough, wolves can be kept in the space of a backyard, learn to live on cereal-based dog food, and live continually, even loyally, as man's best friend...The fox, coyote and dingo are also dogs, wrongly given different scientific names even though they can interbreed with regular dogs...The idea that killer wolves can be trained to live again in peace reminds us of that..."

I'm sure nearly all of us here would agree that wolves are so much better off with other wolves in the wilderness where they belong. A wolf should never be taken from the wild just so someone can get a "cool" pet.
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

Featherstone9086
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Feather/Fea

Post by Featherstone9086 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 pm

I hope this hasn't already been said, but...eagles don't make Red-tailed Hawk screes, nor does any other raptor except for said Red-tail. Also, believe it or not (yes, I'm looking at you, western movies) Bald Eagles don't frequent the desert making Red-tail screams.
“Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed on the world."
~ W.B. Yeats

"The bird that dares to fall is the bird who learns to fly."
:raven:

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:08 am

- Tortoises and turtles are not synonyms. Turtles live in water, tortoises live on land.

- Piranha will rip into anything that falls into the water. They're actually rather harmless.

- Rabbits make easy pets. They are actually very high maintenance animals and need a lot of attention and care.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

Post by Dinoman9877 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 am

La Striata wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:40 am
It's possible for feathers to evolve into reptilian scales. That's seriously what people unable to accept that Velociraptor had feathers seem to think. Its predecessors (like Microraptor) were unambiguously feathered, and there is no evidence whatsoever of any feathered organism reverting to reptilian scales.
And then the T. rex scale impressions were found. And also that’s not true because the scales on bird feet are derived from feathers.

- T. rex was not only a scavenger. No flightless terrestrial carnivore can survive only by scavenging, and many healed wounds in the bones of herbivores in the same time and place could only come from T. rex, including a tooth lodged in a hadrosaur vertebra which was healed over.

- Torosaurus and Triceratops are not the same animal. A theory a couple years back of Triceratops being a subadult Torosaurus got some traction, despite Triceratops being larger, and one species living in the northern US while the other lived in the south. The potential remains of a subadult Torosaurus have also been found, further debunking it.

- Spinosaurus was not a quadruped, that we know of. Over nearly 200 million years of evolution, not a single theropod has been known to revert to quadrupedalism, and their arms were not capable of supporting that weight.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 am

the idea that ostriches bury their heads in the sand.
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm

The idea that cow milk is good for cats (it's not, it can actually give them diarrhea).

The idea that bears often eat honey. While bears do eat from beehives, they are actually after the larvae and eggs of the bees and not the honey itself (though they will still eat honey sometimes, it isn't a major part of their diet).

The idea that carrots and other root vegetables are commonly eaten by rabbits. Rabbits actually eat weeds and grasses.

The myth that porcupines are capable of shooting their quills at attackers. They can't.

The phrase "blind as a bat". Bats actually can see, in fact, certain species of fruit-eating bats can actually see just a well if not better than humans. However, some insect eating bats have worse vision, but they definitely aren't fully blind.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 am

I'm sure it's been said before on this thread in other ways, but: iTs AlL iN HoW yOu TrAIN TheM. Inherited aggression is a very real phenomenon.

Also, the frequency of albinism in nature. A picture of a leucistic goose went viral in my city, but the poster mistakenly said it was albino. Then the comments went wild with all the other albino wildlife people have definitely seen :P . Albinism is actually quite rare in most animal groups, due to its linkage with other disadvantageous traits including vision, hearing, reproductive, and camouflage-related problems.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:11 am

DaniBeez wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 am
I'm sure it's been said before on this thread in other ways, but: iTs AlL iN HoW yOu TrAIN TheM. Inherited aggression is a very real phenomenon.

Also, the frequency of albinism in nature. A picture of a leucistic goose went viral in my city, but the poster mistakenly said it was albino. Then the comments went wild with all the other albino wildlife people have definitely seen :P . Albinism is actually quite rare in most animal groups, due to its linkage with other disadvantageous traits including vision, hearing, reproductive, and camouflage-related problems.
Yeah, there's a serious misconception regarding just how rare albino animals are. We had an albino deer in our area a few years back, and people were always claiming that they'd seen it. Me and my dad actually got to see it grazing with the rest of the herd once, but it was so far away that we could barely make out the outline of it even with binoculars. Of course, later that fall some young farmer went out and killed it, and almost everyone in my town criticized this guy for not only killing such a rare animal but also for just taking the meat from it and leaving the rest of it to rot out in the sun. Nobody has seen an albino deer in our area ever since, though one local farm owner claimed to have seen a piebald deer in his cornfield last winter. A lot of people, especially those who don't know very much about animals, often seem to think that albino animals are much more common than they really are.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:07 pm

My goodness. I just read through all of these posts and some of these drove me right up the wall. And I see two people (The Chemist and elkhunter123456) pointed out ostriches can't bury their heads. I have had ostriches and NONE of them have buried their heads, though I will admit to having believed it when I was younger.

- Snakes are slimey

Not really. I haven't heard this except from people debunking it, but I can guarantee that if someone says 'they are not slimey' they are very right. I've actually pet one, it was smooth and, for lack of a better word, soft.
¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤ Snake To His Father ¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
▽ ▿
"We are monsters, rejects that nobody wanted. Now we want revenge for those who hated us and disgraced us. Soon all will see my family has grown stronger than if we'd stayed at our old homes, so much so that we may as well thank them!"

¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
Sig–Black Burn

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 am

YellowstoneWolves1 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:07 pm
My goodness. I just read through all of these posts and some of these drove me right up the wall. And I see two people (The Chemist and elkhunter123456) pointed out ostriches can't bury their heads. I have had ostriches and NONE of them have buried their heads, though I will admit to having believed it when I was younger.

- Snakes are slimey

Not really. I haven't heard this except from people debunking it, but I can guarantee that if someone says 'they are not slimey' they are very right. I've actually pet one, it was smooth and, for lack of a better word, soft.
I've heard several different snake species and can guarantee that none of them are slimy, Me personally never though that snake were sliming even before touching one.

Another misconception that annoys me is that worms can drown. Worms can breath perfectly fine under water.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

wolfgirl456
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Forest, Jenga

Post by wolfgirl456 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 pm

almost everything about coyotes. they seem to get similar treatment as wolves back then despite being much smaller..
a lot of people seem to believe they hunt in large packs in which they don't. they also don't actively hunt humans, not even children.
when i hear people say these things i'm like :I why
:ferret:

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rebela

Post by Rebela » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:00 am

I love the wolves of the sea - orcas - so much so, they're actually my favorite animal ever!
The most irritating misconceptions I hear the most about them is:
+ They're called killers so that's why they attack!
No reports of orcas harming a human have ever been recorded, except in captivity [for obvious reasons!].
+ They're killer whales. Whale is in their name!
They're not whales, they're actually the largest member of the dolphin family!
Also, their name killer whales is old, forgotten slang.
See here:
"Because of their fierce reputation, orca are sometimes called the Ballena asesina (“assassin whale”) by the Spanish. They were referred to as “whale killers” by sailors who witnessed their attacks on larger cetaceans, and over time this name was changed to “killer whales.”" - marinebio.org

this ends my ted talk thank you :'D
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

Hazelflower
Pup
Pup
Name: Hazel

Post by Hazelflower » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Okay, I could go on and on for days about this subject, but here`s one that really makes me mad: people who call themselves vegetarians eating fish! Fish (yes, I`m aware that its a term that lumps several groups of animals together) are Animals! Vegetarian means not eating animals! End of rant. Oh, here another one: people thinking that by necessity ferrets are smelly and stink up a house. Yes they do have a natural musk, but with good diet, proper care, and clean housing the smell can be kept to a minimum. It does take a bit of work, but there is no such thing as a "beginner`s pet". Caring for another living being is a commitment, regardless.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm

^On a similar vein, it puzzles me when people are eating fish but not other animals (pescetarian diet) "for the environment", when overfishing from wild stocks is still a rampant problem for many commercialized species, not to mention seafood mislabelling :? . Reducing meat of all kinds is generally good, but denying the environmental impact of seafood is not!

One I recently learned about was the amount of enclosure floor space hamsters should have: a minimum of ~500 square feet. Almost all commercial cage options are too small for both dwarfs and syrians. I had two dwarfs (unsure of exact species) for two years in a standard small cage, and I remember them occasionally chewing the bars, probably from boredom and the too-small cage. If I ever get another hamster, I will try a DIY bin cage. More room and more depth to increase the amount of bedding for burrowing :beaver:.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur