On the islands of Komodo - National Park

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

MGandalf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Maria

On the islands of Komodo - National Park

Post by MGandalf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 am

National Park
The Komodo National Park is a national park in Indonesia located within the Lesser Sunda Islands in the border region between the provinces of East Nusa Tenggara and West Nusa Tenggara. The park includes the three larger islands Komodo, Padar and Rinca, and 26 smaller ones,[1] with a total area of 1,733 km² (603 km² of it land). The national park was founded in 1980 to protect the Komodo dragon, the world's largest lizard.[3] Later it was dedicated to protecting other species, including marine species. In 1991 the national park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[4]
Komodo National Park has been selected as one of the New7Wonders of Nature.

History
Komodo National Park was established in 1980 and was declared a World Heritage Site and a Man and Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1991. The park was initially established to conserve the unique Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis), first discovered by the scientific world in 1912 by J.K.H. Van Steyn. Since then conservation goals have expanded to protecting its entire biodiversity, both marine and terrestrial.

The majority of the people in and around the Park are fishermen originally from Bima (Sumbawa), Manggarai, South Flores, and South Sulawesi. Those from South Sulawesi are from the Suku Bajau or Bugis ethnic groups. The Suku Bajau were originally nomadic and moved from location to location in the region of Sulawesi, Nusa Tenggara and Maluku, to make their livelihoods. Descendants of the original people of Komodo, the Ata Modo, still live in Komodo, but there are no pure blood people left and their culture and language is slowly being integrated with the recent migrants.

Little is known of the early history of the Komodo islanders. They were subjects of the Sultanate of Bima, although the island’s remoteness from Bima meant its affairs were probably little troubled by the Sultanate other than by occasional demand for tribute.

Geography and climate
The park comprises a coastal section of western Flores, the three larger islands of Komodo, Padar and Rinca, 26 smaller islands and the surrounding waters of the Sape Straights. The islands of the national park are of volcanic origin. The terrain is generally rugged, characterized by rounded hills, with altitudes up to 735 m. The climate is one of the driest of Indonesia with annual rainfall between 800mm and 1000mm. Mean daily temperatures in the dry season from May to October are around 40°C.

Coordinates: 8°32′36″S 119°29′22″ECoordinates: 8°32′36″S 119°29′22″E
Area: 1,733 km²,[1] 2,193.22 km²[2]
Established: 1980
Visitors: 45,000 (in 2010)
Governing body: Ministry of Forestry
content taken from:
{http://www.wikipedia.org/}
By Dennol :wink:
Last edited by MGandalf on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Artworks Shop
My DeviantART

•°•°•°•∞|•·×±×·•|∞•°•°•°•
Maybe it was all in my mind,
But why should that mean
It is not real?
Sig × Black Burn
──────────────────
FIRE VALLEY PACK
ʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ - ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ
ᴀ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢ ᴘᴀᴄᴋ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ʙᴇᴇɴ
──────────────────
,---------------,
| Coca-Cola |,,|"""\,__,
| _________ |,,||_|_ ||)
/(@)(@)**/(@)***/(@)

DreamerDay

Re: On the islands of Komodo - National Park

Post by DreamerDay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Did you get this out from Google or some research site? Because I know you didn't write this, and with that you should at least quote it. Just saying.

xXEternalSoulXx

Post by xXEternalSoulXx » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Yeah, if you use any information from a website, you should always cite the article.

DreamerDay

Post by DreamerDay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Dennol wrote: {http://www.wikipedia.org/}
By Dennol :wink:
No...It's doesn't mean to just simply give the link. Just quote it.

MGandalf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Maria

Post by MGandalf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

how so it cited?

My Artworks Shop
My DeviantART

Maybe it was all in my mind,
But why should that mean
It is not real?
Sig × Black Burn
──────────────────
FIRE VALLEY PACK
ʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ - ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ
ᴀ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢ ᴘᴀᴄᴋ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ʙᴇᴇɴ
──────────────────
,---------------,
| Coca-Cola |,,|"""\,__,
| _________ |,,||_|_ ||)
/(@)(@)**/(@)***/(@)

DreamerDay

Post by DreamerDay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Dennol wrote:how so it cited?
Its cited because it's from a website and have rights. And with copy rights, you should respect it and not 'claim' you wrote it. So, this is the reason you should quote it.

I'm not trying to say you claim it any way, but it's look like you're 'claiming' it.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:08 am

• DreamerDay,

While your concern is appreciated, there are no strict formatting rules on how to cite something on WolfQuest. Since Dennol has provided the source of this information and stated where the content was taken from, he is in the clear :).
    Tonbei wrote:Putting something in quotations, like this sentence, is not the only way to cite something :wink: .