Belize Zoo

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Belize Zoo

Post by alethe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 am

So some of you know that I recently got back from a vacation to Belize. On the last day (yesterday), we spent the morning/lunch at the zoo before coming home.

The zoo was very unique, the best one I've been to yet. Its in the middle of no where, in the jungle. All of the animals are non-releasable, taken from illegal owners or bad situations in the wild, not for human entertainment. Its more like a sanctuary to me.

It was different than an American zoo by far. They didn't have many diverse species of animals, only those native to Belize. The security of the place was very.. lacking to say the least. Many of the cages were unlocked, and there were signs all over the jaguar cages that told you to keep your fingers out; they definitely haven't "fool proofed" the cages, that's for sure! But the animals themselves were very well cared for.

The zoo also offered many interactive tours with the animals, including an opportunity to feed their ambassador toucan, interact with two of the jaguars, and feed the tapiars. I, being the cat lover that I am, did one of the jaguar tours with "Lucky Boy," their black jaguar, just to see what it was like. The keeper called the cat over with food, and we got to get close to him (all from the safety of a chain-link fence). Sometimes he would place his paws on the fence, and we got to touch the pads.

I was, for the most part, very pleased with the zoo. We got to do a lot with the animals that isn't offered at an American zoo, and I could actually take decent photos without a zoom. If anyone has a chance to go, I advise taking it. The staff were friendly (one followed us through the big cats and carnivores with a meat bucket, so we got to watch the feeding and see them come close to the fence) and the atmosphere very welcoming. Overall, worth the trip, and I recommend it.

The official site is http://www.belizezoo.org/

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Re: Belize Zoo

Post by calxmity » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:24 am

I definitely recall being here when I went to Belize for a mission trip- however I don't remember the whole zoo, considering I was around 10. One of the only things I remember was that it was (like you said) VERY different than american zoos. Other than that, I hardly remember anything from that mission trip. \o/
green - cavetown