BBC News - 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Nordue

BBC News - 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

Post by Nordue » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:46 pm

• This is quite an interesting event. Don't worry, the read is very short :wink:: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935.

What do you guys think? I am not sure I agree with zoos in the way they are currently operated to begin with, so seeing this evidence of surplus only strengthens that notion. They could have sterilized the giraffe, but I suppose then the giraffe becomes more of an expense than a profit, which we must remember is what zoos are primarily about. Because inbreeding in any population, wild or domestic, is problematic, I can see why the Copenhagen zoo was able to justify their actions. It's a complex issue for sure, especially since more than one zoo was willing to take in Marius.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: BBC News - 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

Post by La Striata » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am

I honestly don't see the big deal. The zoo is part of a giraffe breeding program, and a giraffe that cannot breed is a useless mouth to feed. The zoos that offered to take him in were also part of the breeding program, and had they been allowed to take and breed him with their own stock, they would have caused inbreeding problems in animals that are meant to be used as future saviours of the species.

If you want to grow a garden, you must be prepared to prune it. In any case, the killing was humane, and the meat not wasted. I bet those lions had the time of their lives. What I can't stand are those journalists (particularly in the UK) who are projecting their own disgust over the giraffe being publicly dissected in front of school children to other people.

"But it scared the children!!!"

"No, it scared you..."

I myself would have found the spectacle fascinating and educational.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Chumpkins_
Name:

Post by Chumpkins_ » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Agreed, La Striata. It could mess up all of the future giraffes generation, and he was put to a good cause, those lions sure were happy.

The journalist irritated me also, it would be educational.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm

• I think the media and public attention this issue recieved, as well as other recent media releases concerning animal welfare such as documentaries like Blackfish and the Cove, are increasingly informing the public of issues they may have otherwise not given much thought to. In this sense, I think a future without zoos due to animal rights/welfare concerns from a more informed public are not outside of reason.

laika_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by laika_wolf » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:06 pm

I disagree with putting down a perfectly healthy giraffe just because it can't breed with the females at that zoo. They could have traded the giraffe with another zoo for another animal. Zoos do it all the time to help with genetic diversity (and get new animals, of course). I don't think this was an ethical choice.
As for showing lions eating a giraffe, I think it's perfectly fine. We can't shelter kids forever. Circle of life, am I right?
☄☽ "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -John Lennon ☾☄
avvie & sig by me

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 am

laika_wolf wrote:
As for showing lions eating a giraffe, I think it's perfectly fine. We can't shelter kids forever. Circle of life, am I right?
Agree with you here. They'll see stuff like that sooner or later, and its an educational experience that might benefit them later.

I'm on the fence about the article, however. While it was an extra mouth to feed, I don't agree with putting it down, but then again it was feeding the lions for a meal.. I'm not sure where I stand here.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

laika_wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by laika_wolf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • I think the media and public attention this issue recieved, as well as other recent media releases concerning animal welfare such as documentaries like Blackfish and the Cove, are increasingly informing the public of issues they may have otherwise not given much thought to. In this sense, I think a future without zoos due to animal rights/welfare concerns from a more informed public are not outside of reason.
I commented on the article before, but I have done some personal research and I now completely agree with Tonbei. You can see just by visiting a zoo that many of the animals are pacing and swinging their heads which are signs of anxiety and mental illness in animals.
Another point that has to do with this story is that, in the wild, we wouldn't have to be killing animals to prevent inbreeding.
Many people would say that zoos are educational, but I think that seeing an animal behaving naturally and happily in their native environment would be much more educational than seeing a stressed-out animal in an exhibit, no matter how much effort you put into "replicating their habitat". This is definitely an interesting discussion. Maybe our entire society will shift into a world where animals are treated as equals rather than property or accessories.
☄☽ "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -John Lennon ☾☄
avvie & sig by me