Seen anything rare or uncommon birds in your area?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Seen anything rare or uncommon birds in your area?

Post by wolfman200789 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Guess What! I just got a chance to hear a really rare bird. I took the bus home from school today as always. I still have to walk from my bus stop to my house though. I got to my house and reached for the door handle when I was stoped by an odd bird call. One I have never heard before. Once inside I decided to look it up and try to identify it. I found an exact match of the sound I heard. It is a hawk that is not all that common here In Washington state.

It was a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

General Description

The Sharp-shinned Hawk is the smallest of the three North American accipiters. The female is larger than the male. Adults have solid gray upperparts and barred, reddish-brown underparts. Their long, square tails have gray and black bars with very narrow, white tips. Their eyes are red. Immature birds are brown above with diffuse brown streaking below; they have yellow eyes. Sharp-shinned Hawks have short, rounded wings that are set slightly more forward on their bodies than those of the larger, but similar-looking, Cooper's Hawk. Their heads are also relatively smaller and their gray caps less distinct than the Cooper's. The white tip of the tail of the Cooper's Hawk is usually wider than that of Sharp-shinned Hawk, especially in the fall. All of these differences are subtle, making it quite difficult to distinguish a male Cooper's Hawk from a female Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Habitat

Sharp-shinned Hawks inhabit coniferous or mixed woodlands, avoiding open country. While Cooper's Hawks appear to prefer deciduous forests, Sharp-shinned Hawks appear to prefer coniferous forests. During winter, they are often found in woodlots, towns, and parks.

Conservation Status

Sharp-shinned Hawk numbers dropped in the mid-20th Century as a result of eggshell thinning due to DDT. They were also easy, convenient targets at hawk migration points. The banning of DDT and changing attitudes towards predators have enabled the Sharp-shinned Hawk to recover well, although new declines have been discovered in some areas in the past few decades. These declines may be due to a variety of factors, including environmental contaminants, reduced prey supply, and habitat changes. In Washington, Sharp-shinned Hawks are poorly sampled, as they are hard to find during the breeding season. Christmas Bird Count data reflect a slight increase in Washington, but sample sizes are small, and this may or many not reflect a true increase.

In January they are listed as uncommon throughout washington state. With exception of an area called the blue mountains were it is listed as Rare.

The site were I learned about what I heard:
http://www.birdweb.org/BIRDWEB/bird/sharp-shinned_hawk

Have you heard or seen any birds you could not identify. Have you researched them and learned somthing about them?

I guess this is a topic for that.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

RedRaptor96
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Seen anything rare or uncommon birds in your area?

Post by RedRaptor96 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:24 pm

one time i saw a gyrfalcon not very common in North Carolina
also once i saw a wandering albtross also not very common in North Carolina
I long for a worthy opponent

NightRainDragon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Seen anything rare or uncommon birds in your area?

Post by NightRainDragon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am

Yes I did!!! In my neighborhood lately, there have been these tiny, almost humming bird sized brown birds that have a long, curved beak, and when they sing their call is almost like a VERY loud clicking sound!!! I have never seen these birds here before, but they sure are fun :D
-Night Rain-