The most endangered dolphins: Hector's Dolphins

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Have you ever heard of a Hector's Dolphin?

Yes.
33%
No.
67%

Total votes: 3

artistwolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

The most endangered dolphins: Hector's Dolphins

Post by artistwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 pm

A lot of people don't know about Hector's Dolphins, and their sub-species, the Maui Dolphin. But really, they are super important.
These dolphins are the smallest dolphins in the world, measuring only 4 feet long.
But they are also the most endangered dolphins. It is guessed that their population is only 55. In the whole world! :(
Okay, well they only live in the coastal waters off the coast of North Island, in New Zealand. These dolphins get caught in nets like gillnets- they are made of very fine mesh that the dolphins don't see. :cry:
Anyway, visit WWF's website for more info. ( http://worldwildlife.org/species/hector-s-dolphin )
And reply if you want to help out these dolphins!

Redwalker

Re: The most endangered dolphins: Hector's Dolphins

Post by Redwalker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Sound like cute little guys...shame there's so few. Are their any reserves? Wouldn't people try to keep them out of the waters that people fish in? Every animal is important, but unfortunately at this rate, the species itself seems in trouble (I would hate to say its already dead...because it isn't) But species go instinct all the time...its the sad truth...

I sure do love dolphins though <3
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,

artistwolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: The most endangered dolphins: Hector's Dolphins

Post by artistwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Well I've found out that these dolphins are protected along the West coast of the North Island and East coast of the South Island, but for full protection, it says that the areas need to be expanded to really grow the population. go to
http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/what-we ... stribution
for a map of their distribution.
Hmm. Unfortunately, it would seem that the dolphins are extremely slow at breeding. Typical, huh? :cry:
They prefer water that is only up to 100 meters deep... and that's were fishermen prefer too... :x
Anyway, i love dolphins & as long as people are aware of them, i feel as if we are helping a species survive a little longer. :)