Crayfish - General Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Crayfish - General Discussion

Post by Sambhur » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 am

Crayfish – also called crawfish or crawdads – are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related; taxonomically, they are members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea. They breathe through feather-like gills and are found in bodies of water that do not freeze to the bottom. They are mostly found in brooks and streams where there is fresh water running, and which have shelter against predators. Most crayfish cannot tolerate polluted water, although some species such as the invasive Procambarus clarkii are more hardy. Crayfish feed on living and dead animals and plants.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

So, what's your opinion on crayfish? I don't think they're too bad, but I'm still a bit unsure about whether or not I'd be okay to hold one. :L I do find them quite interesting to look at, however.

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Crayfish - General Discussion

Post by Edme1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm not touching one.

But they are interesting creatures. I would love to read about them as long as I don't have to get within two feet of them.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:17 am

I'd hold one! :D

If you think about it, they're kind of adorable, in a crustacean sort of way. XD I'd have one as a pet, since according to what I'm reading right now on them they are kept in aquariums, but that's just me. Very interesting though, Jewelz! Thanks for sharing!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Ahahah, well I guess they are kind of cute in a way. :V Yeah, over here in Australia, I've known quite a few people who have kept yabbies as pets.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't know if I'd hold one.. they're cute in pictures but I think the same thing about spiders, and I haaate spiders XD

They are interesting things though. I could see having them in aquariums as well. Never really thought of them as "pets" but people keep stranger things as pets.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?