Does anybody know what bird this is?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

ShadoWolf0913
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Does anybody know what bird this is?

Post by ShadoWolf0913 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:43 pm

I was outside the other day and came across this bird:

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 3e2f1f.jpg

Does anybody know what it could be? I am almost positive it is some kind of eagle or hawk, but I'm not sure. I was not able to get very close before it flew away, but I would estimate that it was maybe 2 feet tall, mostly brown and white, and it was in central New Jersey. Sorry the picture is not all that great, but it flew away before I could get a better one. I am pretty curious what it is, because I have never seen a bird like that around here before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!
"Real strength means being able to face your problems and overcome them. Only then are you truly free."

~ShadoWolf, proud alphess of NightClaw Pack

The Olive lord
Pup
Pup

Re: Does anybody know what bird this is?

Post by The Olive lord » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Hmm well I dont know a lot about birds but I don't think its a eagle, a red tailed hawk maybe.. maybe even a falcon? Wish I could be more help but I'm pretty sure its a hawk of some type...
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein

ShadoWolf0913
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadoWolf0913 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm

The Olive lord wrote:Hmm well I dont know a lot about birds but I don't think its a eagle, a red tailed hawk maybe.. maybe even a falcon? Wish I could be more help but I'm pretty sure its a hawk of some type...
I thought so too, but it was a pretty big bird, bigger (I think) than a hawk or falcon. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I would estimate that it was at least two feet tall. Of course, I am no bird expert, so I really don't know, but it just seemed more likely it was an eagle...
"Real strength means being able to face your problems and overcome them. Only then are you truly free."

The Olive lord
Pup
Pup

Post by The Olive lord » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:58 pm

ShadoWolf0913 wrote:It's hard to tell from the picture, but I would estimate that it was at least two feet tall.
Exactly why I said hawk, hawks are usually about 2 feet tall when they're full grown. Eagles look much darker then that and don't have a speckled back like that.
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 pm

I want to say it's a Red-tailed, but the thing that gets me is the bands on the tail. Makes me wonder if it's a Red-shouldered hawk.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nwoody.jpg

ShadoWolf0913
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadoWolf0913 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Oh, well maybe it was a hawk, then. I always thought they were smaller than that, but again, I am in no way an expert. XD
Kivia wrote:I want to say it's a Red-tailed, but the thing that gets me is the bands on the tail. Makes me wonder if it's a Red-shouldered hawk.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nwoody.jpg
That could be it...I think the one I saw had more white on it, but I could be remembering wrong. They do look quite similar. :) Thanks!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Could you describe the color of it, like the back and the front? It's difficult to tell due to the light in the photograph^^'

And I'm pretty sure it's a hawk- many species are migrating through the area right now. Bald Eagles are around as well, but it doesn't look like juvenile to me.

ShadoWolf0913
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadoWolf0913 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Kivia wrote:Could you describe the color of it, like the back and the front? It's difficult to tell due to the light in the photograph^^'

And I'm pretty sure it's a hawk- many species are migrating through the area right now. Bald Eagles are around as well, but it doesn't look like juvenile to me.
I believe it was mostly brown with darker markings and maybe some white on the front, but I am not sure. It flew off pretty fast, so I did not get to have a very close look and I'm afraid I can't give much more detail than that, sorry. :/