Invasive Species of Plants

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Invasive Species of Plants

Post by Edme1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm

I have recently learned about a few invasive species of plants. Plants may seem like little, slow-growing things, but they can have a major effect on an environment. For example, the kudzu vine was brought to America. Nobody thought it would do any harm, but the kudzu vine covers everything it touches, strangles other plants and deprives them of sunlight and water. It became a major issue a few years after it was introduced, and the government classified it as an invasive species. Another plant, the garlic mustard, was brought to America by trade ships. Once it was planted, it spread rapidly, and it is extremely hard to clear garlic mustard out of an area. It soon covered many forests and fields, and people began to realize that it was becoming a problem. Does anyone else know of any invasive plant species?
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Invasive Species of Plants

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Ya i know i see sometimes in Planet Earth About plants eating other small animals think that very interesting/ strange at the same time... But thanks for sharing.
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Invasive species, whether it be flora or fauna, are very dangerous to the balance of an ecosystem. I can name a few examples of plants here that have become a nuisance, like the bamboo someone planted in an abandoned lot, and it ended up consuming the whole lot and then grew into other yards. The ivy gets bad here too, and just grows on anything it can grab a hold of.
I don't know exact species names for these plants since I'm not all into the taxonomy of plants, but I'm sure official names are out there. xD

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 am

Kivia wrote:Invasive species, whether it be flora or fauna, are very dangerous to the balance of an ecosystem. I can name a few examples of plants here that have become a nuisance, like the bamboo someone planted in an abandoned lot, and it ended up consuming the whole lot and then grew into other yards. The ivy gets bad here too, and just grows on anything it can grab a hold of.
I don't know exact species names for these plants since I'm not all into the taxonomy of plants, but I'm sure official names are out there. xD
Yeah, they probably have long, hard to pronounce Latin scientific names. XD I have also heard of the Yellow Star Thistle that was introduced to the United States a long time ago and is still taking over ecosystems. There are probably lots more invasive species of plants, too, and I bet they all have fancy scientific names!
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

sepias
Name: bee

Post by sepias » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:32 pm

• In my region, there is an invasive species known as the Chinese Tallow Tree. This tree grows rapidly and saps water from the native species, making it a great and vital threat to other wildlife. Random statistic: Chinese Tallow Trees have decreased the 2.2 million southern wildlife species to just 500. Isn't that horrible? Hopefully, scientists can figure out a way to reduce the tree's terror without causing a huge magnitude on wildlife.

✧ ✧ . . . . . J U L E S . . . . . ✧ ✧

follow me on twitter @sleepydawgs
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

sig : alethe / av: seihes [deviantART]