The Springtime Bugs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

The Springtime Bugs

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 pm

While it may not be springtime for everyone -- for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere...spring usually means warm weather, and warm weather means....creepy crawly time!

So, with the seasons changing, what kind of bugs have you been seeing more of?

We just had an invasion of stink bugs on our porch screen last week. The dogs were so fascinated by them.....thankfully they didn't try to eat them. We also have some HUGE bumble bees hanging out near our flower beds. They're so fat, cute, and kind of clumsy. :3

I lived in Florida most of my life, so I'm still not familiar with the exact species of bugs in Tennessee....but I'm always learning...and sometimes the hard way. :P
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: The Springtime Bugs

Post by Koroda » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, I've seen quite a few stinkbugs (one happened to use my pillow) and definatly more bees like you. I'he also seen a few of those little worms and those ticks. I found a monster sized one. At first you would think its a raisin, but when you see its legs, you think Tick. So, I've seen a lot of newcomers to my home and most (not all) I welcome here in Massachusetts. By the way, has anyone seen those Gypsy Moths yet?
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:47 pm

There have been stinkbugs living in my house all winter. I kept putting them in our indoor plants in hopes of them staying alive for spring. I've been seeing a lot of little moths, and there are a LOT of gnats that come out at dusk, at least out in the woods. It's been cold these past few days though, so not many bugs have been out.

Haven't seen any gypsy moths out yet here, Koroda- I'm sure they'll be here once it gets warmer^^

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I have yet to see anything gypsy moths...although I'm not sure I would see one here in TN. I'm just dreading the spiders. I have a nice storage shed --- and it usually does great against every pest, except orbweaver spiders. And I know they are supposed to be beneficial, but they get to be too much in the spring and summer. Yuck!

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 pm

There isn't a whole lot of variety of bugs in England but we had some hot weather last week (and snow forecast for tomorrow, apparently) so there were a lot of ladybirds and bumblebees, plus I saw a few Peacock butterflies around. There were also the not-so pleasant wasps, who I believe may have decided to build their nest in our roof, ack.

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 pm

I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada and so far I have seen one lazy wasp (that almost landed on me, eww), a few mosquitoes and too many ants. My dad had to kill them off before they entered the garage! We have had in the past two weeks spurts of really warm weather that hit around 25, even 28 just after March break!

Rumor has it that it is going to be a bad tick season in my area. I worry for my dog more so than me, as we like to use the back trails to get around. And her fur is the same color as the ticks, so they are hard to find until you feel them already having a feast on her blood :shock:.

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 am

Steeps wrote:Rumor has it that it is going to be a bad tick season in my area. I worry for my dog more so than me, as we like to use the back trails to get around. And her fur is the same color as the ticks, so they are hard to find until you feel them already having a feast on her blood :shock:.
Oh yeah, with the hotter weather it's going to be a bad flea and tick season for a lot of us. I was at Petco doing my dog training classes and after I was done for the day, I went to get some K9 Advantix for my dogs and they were pretty much out of everything! The cashier told me that sprays and shampoos were flying off the shelf.

Definitely not a creepy crawly I want anywhere in my home, yard, or especially on my animals. Usually they are worse in summer, so it's unfortunate they're already here in spring!

Tita
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Tita » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm

I've seen mosquitoes and gnats - lots of those guys. They're very pesky critters, and a huge nuisance. I am continuously bitten by them which causes a lot of itching. x3 I'm not a fan...this post should imply that LOL. What's worse, here we generally have a surplus of them so it gets pretty bad. Ants as well, although they're not too terrible.
Though I've also noticed more pleasant insects. c: I'll often see butterflies and bumble bees. They are nice to observe and so pretty. I'd prefer not to step on one of those bees though. xP
Go away, evil Mr. Scissors!

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Koroda » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Now that Summer is here, horseflies are showing up... :( One bit me on the bottom of my toe and I have to stand on my foot sideways. My Dad got a bee sting today, as well. I wonder what bugs will come next. Summertime is here! Goodbye spring bugs, hello summer bugs! Surprisingly enough, I only saw 1 gypsy moth this year.

EDIT: I saw a beautiful dragonfly last week. It had a metallic green body and pitch black wings. It really likes me, so I named it Jade. Jade always shows up on the recycling bin, I don't know why. All dragonflies like me for some reason and follow me around. :shock:
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....