The Water Bear- World's Strongest Animal

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

After You Read This Guide, What do you think about Water Bears Now?

Water Bears are now my favorite animal!
No votes
I think I will look into them more, they are very, very interesting!
100%
Wow, Water Bears are cool, but I like other animals way, way better than it.
No votes
Eh, it's ok.
No votes
I don't like them that much...
No votes
I hate them!
No votes

Total votes: 3

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

The Water Bear- World's Strongest Animal

Post by Koroda » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi, everyone! Have you heard of the Water Bear? If not, read about it right here! Looking for Water Bear info? Look no further! This is all you need to know about the basics of a Water Bear! If you just want to speed read, just read the words in red. They are the most important details.

Table of Contents
What is a Water Bear?
What Does a Water Bear Look Like?
What's Inside a Water Bear?
What do Water Bears Eat?
What is so Awesome About Water Bears, Exactly?
Where do I find these Things?
How Do I Catch a Water Bear?
What Else Can I Call a Water Bear?
Water Bear Experiences
Water Bear Pictures
Water Bear Videos

Enjoy the Water Bear Safari!

So, What Is A Water Bear?
The Water Bear is an amazing creature, the strongest in the world. When was it first discovered? The Water Bear was first recognized in 1773 but Goetz. I truly love the Water Bear and maybe you will too, if you like that sort of thing... So, Water Bears are pretty much bears that aren't bears. To make it simple, it's just like a bear, except it isn't really in the bear family.

What Does A Water Bear Look Like?
Imagine you are in front of a bear, any bear (not a Koala. They aren't the right body shape and aren't really bears). Now, shrink your bear until it's about 1.2 millimeters long. Now, give it segments like a worm has. Not too many, but maybe around 3 or 4. Now, give it 4 more legs, 2 on each side. Make it's mouth like a tube and make it translucent, meaning you can see a bit through it. That idea in your mind, my friend, is a Water Bear. Water Bears are 0.3 to 1.2 millimeters long. Wow, that's short! It has segments and eight legs.These legs are nothing like spider legs, though. The are plushy (if that's a word). On each foot is 4 to 6 claws, and they look a bit like bear claws. Also, the walk (or swim) around like they are walking in a slow bear gait. Most micro animals are weird-looking, but even though the Water Bear is ugly, its very cuddly compared to Bacteria. So, this little guy might remind you of a tick, but you might be like me and love how adorable it is!

What's Inside a Water Bear?
I won't be too detailed, so I will be quick on this subject. The Water Bear has a brain, as well as a rather peculiar mouth. The mouth is tubular (Like a tube) and is armed by stylets, which are like teeth that are used to munch on food. The Water Bear technically has all the same body parts as we do (Except for bones!).

What Do Water Bears Eat?
Water Bears eat little things, like:
-Plant Cells
-Algae
-Other Invertebrates

However, they don't just eat them. The stylets actually act like shots, which sqeeze out juices that Water Bears eat. Kind of like how a butterfly eats.

What Is So Awesome About Water Bears, Exactly?
(I will not red highlight this becuase all of it may be of interest to you)
So, here we are, at the interesting part! This part right here will blow. Your. Mind. Water Bears generally live around 100 years or so. An guess what? They can survive a whole decade without water! 85% of their bodies are made of water, but when they are thirsty, it is only 3%. Are you just begging for more interesting facts? Well, they can survive toxins that can kill humans easily! Still not impressed? Water Bears can survive at -272 C and 151 C! They can even survive Gamma Radiation at 5,000 lethal doses. 5 to 10 doses can kill a human! Basically, Water Bears can survive anything. Scientists have sent Water Bears up into outer space, and came back fine! They can survive the extremely low pressures of space and even very, very high pressure, which can be up to 1,200x the amout of pressure that we are below right now! So, you see that Water Bears can survive a lot! If you were like a Water Bear, you would be as strong as Superman! Now, that, I say, is amazing!

Where Do I Find These Things?
Well, you can find them pretty much everywhere. However, they are most common in moist places, like moss and some rivers. But sometimes, that isn't the case. You can find Water Bears on top of the Himalayas, buried under layers of ice and even at the bottom of the ocean!

How Do I Catch A Water Bear?
I'm not sure if this could be fun or not, but I have caught a Water Bear, maybe you might try it too! Take a little cup and get some moss. Then, soak it in a river. If you have a microscope, look into the cup. Can you see wiggly Water Bears? Congratulations! You have seen a real life Water Bear!

What Else Can I Call A Water Bear?
Two other names for Water Bears whale and Moss Piglet.

So, do you just love Water Bears right now? Or are you, thinking: Ugh, this creature is scaring me... Well, maybe share your experiences with Water Bears here. I will be adding a few stories and links to pictures and videos about Water Bears here. Enjoy! You know, Water Bears can make a nice little pet that you hardly need to care for and is very entertaining! (Just a thought!)

Water Bear Experiences
Once, I caught myself a Water Bear, and every day, I would feed it with water. However, I never met it before becuase my microscope refused to cooperate! Anyway, the Water Bear's name was H2o. I hope to catch another can call it Aqua Bear!

Water Bear Pictures
Nothing Yet!

Water Bear Videos
-I personally love this video :)
-This is the plushiness of the Water Bear
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

-wolfbeat-
Pup
Pup

Re: The Water Bear- World's Strongest Animal

Post by -wolfbeat- » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am

hahaha the worlds strongest animal is a microscopic animal that you can only see with a light microscope at 10X :lol:
twitter: @nbaron26 lol
discord: Baron#2020 lol

BlackScorpion
Pup
Pup

Re: The Water Bear- World's Strongest Animal

Post by BlackScorpion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

That is absolutely amazing. I will look into this further.
Aυтυмη

every leαғ ѕpeαĸѕ вlιѕѕ тo мe
¸.*¨*`.¸.*¨*`.¸
ғlυттerιɴɢ ғroм тнe αυтυмɴ тree
¸.*¨*`.¸.*¨*`.¸

Inactive