Mice and Cheese

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Mice and Cheese

Post by Koroda » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:02 am

Most people associate mice with cheese. In fact, I bet some stories about mice involve cheese. But is this actually true? The answer is no. Mice actually don't LOVE cheese. Some cheese is poisonous to mice, and its just not their kind of food. Mice like foods with more sugar like grains and seeds, not cheesy food like well, cheese. Say you have a mouse with 2 things near it, cheese and seed. It would eat the seed, not the cheese. If there was just cheese, the mouse would most likely eat it only if it was very hungry. Sorry if there is another forum like this or any of this information is incorrect.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Mice and Cheese

Post by Neamara » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I just love how common this misconception about mice and cheese is.

Clarification on the matter certainly does help, though, as I'm aware of a few stories that claim people intended to poison the mice they were baiting. :roll:

Still, interesting read.
Thanks for sharing this Koroda. ^^
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:32 pm

We've had mice problems before, and when one of them was in our pantry we noticed they went for the Flaming Hot Cheetoes. I don't know what it did to the mouse, but let's just say we didn't have any problems for awhile.

I believe we've tried peanut and it worked well, but generally we stick with mouse traps. Cheese.. never tried it, but I guess because like you said it doesn't work well.

ForgottenDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by ForgottenDreams » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks for sharing, Koroda. In fact, I've seen many online games with mice being associated with cheese, but it never struck me if they actually loved it as much as some say. I suppose that this 'theory' is a bit like the one which some believe that wolves howl at midnight. :roll:
Moving accounts to Crupi. See you there.

Icon © Nightangelwolf

Black Velvet
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Black Velvet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Did somebody say cheese?! :mrgreen:

I never knew that cheese isn't a mouse's favorite dish. Of course it would make sense that the mouse would want to go for the grains or sugars, because that could be found in the wild. I wonder how the mouse and cheese thing came to be. Perhaps it's one of those old wives tales or something?
Perhaps people associated mice with cheese when it came to trapping them. I guess when the first mouse trap caught a mouse, it was probably baited with cheese. Thus, everybody decided to use cheese as bait thinking it is the ideal food for attracting mice.
You may have a point about this. When it came to us trapping mice, we didn't use cheese. (Not to worry, we used the humane traps and would set the mice free in a new place). For bait, we would use a tiny piece of bread covered with peanut butter... and they LOVED it. Whenever we did use cheese for bait, we didn't catch anything.
Black velvet and that little boy's smile
Black velvet with that slow southern style
A new religion that'll bring ya to your knees
Black velvet if you please
-Alannah Myles

Author of "Silent Meadows"

LeaderOfDreams
Yearling
Yearling

Post by LeaderOfDreams » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Hmm..I guessed mice didn't eat cheese in their natural habitat. I just thought it was something they'd eat if found in the rubbish ect. I think the reason why people clean their kitchens and rooms in their room and then put down their mouse traps with cheese is a way to prove what you've said.

For some reason I have a new found love for mice and thanks for sharing.

Rosari
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Rosari » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 am

yeah I know, this a major misconception about mice. mice prefer grains and seeds over cheese. that oh-so-famous cartoon: Tom and Jerry has Jerry getting into trouble because he keeps stealing cheese, would simply be not true. but much media about mice are wrong, these movies and cartoons aren't made with the purpose to educate people about mice, they're there for entertainment. so many misconceptions about lots of animals get formed.

Siberian Husky
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siberian Husky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:07 am

I own two pet mice, and I would never even consider giving them cheese since mice are lactose intolerant.

Mice aren't really all that fond of cheese though, they are much more interested in grains like Rosari said.
Siberian Husky - シベリアンハスキー

Praise the Sun!

pengo123
Pup
Pup

Post by pengo123 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 am

Everyone thinks that mice only eat cheese,but to be honest they don't ...well they eat anything!
Wolflove

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Sat May 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks pengo123 It was interesting about Mice And Cheese. Lol. Just like Tom and Jerry! LOl

Honey wolf

Post by Honey wolf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks for sharing this! I've never known much about mice, all I really knew was that they liked cheese. But I was wrong.

VianaBoo567
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by VianaBoo567 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:17 am

My family used to have about six mice (I know crazy) and never once did we feed them cheese, we feed them this mice food which had grains and seeds. :mrgreen:

feusefanant
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by feusefanant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:41 am

Your'e right, alot of cheese is poisonous to mice (hence why people originally began using it in traps.) I never understood why it became so closely associated with them...
~The howl of the wolf can brighten the darkest of nights~

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Oops, have definitely fallen for this association! The more you know.

I was stocking our house's snap traps with peanut butter, but it would go mouldy after a while (using the "natural" kind was probably why). So I started using cheese, which seems to last longer before spoiling. Caught one so far with the cheese.

Shawn Woods has an amazing youtube channel all about trapping rodents. I learned a lot! I bet my landlord would take our rodent problem seriously if I sent him a picture of a bucket filled with drowned mice :roll: .
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur