WHALES

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Namara2000
Pup
Pup

WHALES

Post by Namara2000 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Sorry if there is one already like this. I searched it and couldn't find one like it. Whales rock! use this page to share cool facts about whales. Heres one now: In my school, we adopted whales and one grade adopted the only albino humpback in a THOUSAND YEARS or something like that. The whales name was Migaloo. Cool, huh? Tell us more.
DON'T PM ME CAUSE I WON'T ANSWER.
Proud Leader of the Silver Moon Pack.
If want a pack, check out mine. We are awesome.

Hamsterippo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: WHALES

Post by Hamsterippo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I love whales !!! My favorite whale is the narwhal. Their name is awesome and they are unicorns of the sea (lol) Their horns are actually teeth and they use them not for fighting but to measure depth and temperature. It's their most sensitive tooth.
•This account is inactive•

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Whales are cool. You want to know a whale fact just ask me. My goal in life is to s become three things. A marine bioligist,wolf bioligist,and wildlife photographer. Humback whales a cool. They are intelgent ennough to use a net. Heres what I mean humback whales have a feeding behavior callled bubble netting. It is tecqique the uses teamwork. One whale simply blows a ring of bubbles around a school of small fish for example something like sardines. Another whale uses sound to scare them. With the sound scaring the crud out of them and the bubbles traping them as if they were in a fishermens net. hey a free to feed as they please.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

Briggs
Pup
Pup

Post by Briggs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:01 pm

I love whales so much! My goal in like is to finally sea a wild one, but I don't go to the beach very often :C
I love Killer whales the best
-----------------------˚˚B R I G G S˚˚---------------------------------
º |Don't Believe In You, Believe In Me Who Believes In You| º
--------------------------Originally Joined WQ In 2007

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Briggs wrote:I love whales so much! My goal in like is to finally sea a wild one, but I don't go to the beach very often :C
I love Killer whales the best
Killer whales are not completly whalse or killers. The killer part comes from their varied diet that is penguins,seals,sharks,dolpins,greys and other whales etc. Its correctly called orca because its sientific name is orcinus orca. It is not even a full whale but insteead is the largest member of the dolphin family
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

Briggs
Pup
Pup

Post by Briggs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 pm

oh, well thanks for that fact, you must know a lot about whales. They are interesting
-----------------------˚˚B R I G G S˚˚---------------------------------
º |Don't Believe In You, Believe In Me Who Believes In You| º
--------------------------Originally Joined WQ In 2007

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Briggs wrote:oh, well thanks for that fact, you must know a lot about whales. They are interesting
your welcome im learning everyrhing I can about whales and other sea creatures as I hope to partialy work with whales and other sea creatures in the future.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Wow how have I managed to overlook this topic?
I love whales! Ever since I went ina sailing trip last year, I have been drawn to sea creatures.
We actually saw Orcas and although they are not whales, they can often be mistaken for one.
Although, we were very close to seeing humpback whales as well as blue whales. Amazing experience and I encourage others to jump on the opportunities offered to them to see these majestic and amazing creatures. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:11 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:Wow how have I managed to overlook this topic?
I love whales! Ever since I went ina sailing trip last year, I have been drawn to sea creatures.
We actually saw Orcas and although they are not whales, they can often be mistaken for one.
Although, we were very close to seeing humpback whales as well as blue whales. Amazing experience and I encourage others to jump on the opportunities offered to them to see these majestic and amazing creatures. ^^

Whale watching is one of my states big attractions. I live in washington. In fact anyone seen the movie free willy? The movies opening seen was film of a my very own local orca pod that roams the islands of puget sound. I have never seen them up close but I would love to. I have seen a humpback whale on a trip to Hawaii. My little sister was the first to spot it. I was the second. Even a marine bioligist in the chair next to us claimed it was buoy. That is until they saw the huge flipper raise up out of the water... I have not seen a whale other then that one time on a fist grade family vacation. I have been begging my father for a local whale watching trip for two years now.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Well I really hope you get to have the opportunity! ^ and yes, I have seen "Free Willy" great movie! ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am

Whale hybrid found! The fin and blues two of the most endangered whale species have been creating whale hybrids. It seems theres been wittnisses to these amazing hybrids since 1984 and maybe even before that.

A female hybrid between a fin (Balaenoptera physalus) and a blue whale (B. mnusculus) was caught in whaling operations in 1984 off northwestern Spain. Its coloration and body proportions were intermediate between those of a fin and a blue whale, although it was anomalously large (19.4 m) when compared to fin whales of similar age (4 yr). It was sexually immature, concomitant with its age but not its length if it were a fin whale. Molecular analyses revealed that the mother of the hybrid was a blue whale and the father a fin whale. Examination of data for the five fin-blue whale hybrids in the literature, plus other anecdotal reports, indicates that hybridization between these two species occurs in various geographic regions and is relatively frequent, notably in light of the absence of reported hybrids between other mysticetes. Either species may act as father or mother, and there does not appear to be a selection for a given sex among the hybrids. The reproductive capacity of these hybrids remains unknown, although incidence of reproductive impairment appears to be higher in hybrid males than in hybrid females.

sSilvers
Yearling
Yearling

Post by sSilvers » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I love whales ~ I like blue whales best.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Lithium, proud to be a Kuangalia of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816
/////////////////////////////////////Icon By Kivia

monkfishlover
Pup
Pup

Post by monkfishlover » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Hamsterippo wrote:I love whales !!! My favorite whale is the narwhal. Their name is awesome and they are unicorns of the sea (lol) Their horns are actually teeth and they use them not for fighting but to measure depth and temperature. It's their most sensitive tooth.
I love narwhals too! They're so cute! I have a narwhal plushie! :D

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 pm

I kinda like whales but it truley sad when people are killing them...
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

VianaBoo567
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by VianaBoo567 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Where I live sometimes wild humpback whales come in to give birth and nurse their young. Its awesome sometimes I can see them from my bedroom.