The Corvidae

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

The Corvidae

Post by Quivira » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am

I'm sure you've all heard of these guys. This is a family consisting of crows, ravens, jackdaws, jays, magpies, rooks, choughs, nutcrackers, piapiacs, and treepies.

I love these guys, and especially their vivid colors, which mostly consists of jet black, pure white, slate grey, and bright blue. I also love their ability to talk like parrots.

They're also some of the smartest birds, smarter than parrots.

Though they may be pests in some areas, I still love them. Do you?

More information on the Corvidae family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvidae

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: The Corvidae

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I love Corvids, I find them absolutely facinating. <3 Although I don't believe they are smarter than parrots, I do believe that they are nearly as intelligent.
One raindrop among millions.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:48 pm

It's pretty much been proven that they are smarter than parrots. Brain-wise, their brain covers most of their skull, and if their head were the size of ours, their brain size would be pretty close to ours and the same size as the apes and dolphins. It's larger scale-wise than a parrot's.
Also, since the young take more time to grow than a parrot, they also learn more and thus gain more intelligence.
And one of the most important things that proved that corvids were smarter than parrots was the mirror test. The European Magpie, which is a part of the Corvidae, is the only bird to recognize itself in a mirror, and very few other animals did so, all being mammals.

They are also known to talk and do more tricks than parrots, because of their easy learning capabilities and a more agile body structure.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

What is the root meaning of Corvidae?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

What do you mean? The basic meaning of the Corvidae is a family of birds such as crows and ravens. See the first post for all that information.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Redsky wrote:What do you mean? The basic meaning of the Corvidae is a family of birds such as crows and ravens. See the first post for all that information.
I mean the latin or whatever meaning. All words like those have one.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm

I have a family of three crows living next to our house; they like to wake me up in the morning but I don't mind because they are so beautiful to look at. =D

We actually had to help out one of the crows when it was a chick - it was still learning to fly and managed to get stuck in our garden and couldn't get back out again. Initially we thought it was hurt (at first impression it didn't look like a chick at all - he was pretty big!) but a woman from a rescue centre came and checked him over then reunited him with his parents. :> They all live as a trio now in the woods close to me so they are fun to watch.

A lot of people hate magpies in my area; sometimes I can understand why, because they tend to bully/chase the smaller birds. I still think they are rather pretty though.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:20 pm

JayMist wrote:
Redsky wrote:What do you mean? The basic meaning of the Corvidae is a family of birds such as crows and ravens. See the first post for all that information.
I mean the latin or whatever meaning. All words like those have one.
It means a bird family which consists of crows, ravens, and all that stuff. What else would it mean? That's the whole meaning of the word.

And cool story, Atropine! I've always been fascinated with the corids. I'd love a pet crow, raven or magpie someday. And yes, I also think magpies are pretty, especially with their glinting black feathers.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Atropine wrote:We actually had to help out one of the crows when it was a chick - it was still learning to fly and managed to get stuck in our garden and couldn't get back out again. Initially we thought it was hurt (at first impression it didn't look like a chick at all - he was pretty big!) but a woman from a rescue centre came and checked him over then reunited him with his parents. :> They all live as a trio now in the woods close to me so they are fun to watch.
Interesting story, Atropine! It's nice to know that the little - or should I say big? - chick is alright.^^
One raindrop among millions.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Bringing this back because I was gonna start my own thread for corvids inspired by alethe's raptor thread, but hey it already exists so that's cool.

Corvids are easily my favorite birds, they're so amazingly intelligent and beautiful and interesting to observe. Even the super loud blue jays that like to scream right next to my window. Crows specifically are my favorite, and have inspired a love of birds that I didn't really have (not to this extent, at least) before learning more about them and their intelligence and behavior. I also have a great fondness for magpies, because of association to a very good friend, intelligence, cute noises, and look at them oh my god they're so good

Corvids get a bad reputation, especially noticeable with crows and ravens, though I really hope in the future that more people come to realize how amazing they are and appreciate them instead of thinking of them as pests or bad omens. One of my probably unrealistic future goals is to have a pet crow one day, honestly, though it'd be a long time from now since I want to make sure I have the space and money and lifestyle to properly care for it and have a lot of prior experiences with crows and birds in general, since they're definitely not an easy animal to keep. For now though I'll be content with all the fake crows accumulating in my room.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:53 am

oh yes, corvids! I love these guys, super smart, wonderful birds. And beautiful too. I hate that crows and ravens get such a nasty rap.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:09 am

honestly also love corvids. and,,,, magpies. are wonderful, but i'm also a Big Fan of crows and ravens. i just really love these guys. i'm not such a fan of the negativity around them, though. they're so wonderful how could you not love.

i get a lot of magpies dotted around every so often, but i also get like three crows that consistently hover around either on my roof or the roof of the nursery opposite me, and i love it. and i pretty much always see both crows and magpies at school too.

my hockey coach set up an "easter egg hunt" with sweets once, and a magpie came down and stole one of them, and i was just watching and laughing, then she turned around like "what?" and started chasing it when she realised, which was probably one of my favourite things about this very stressful school year. thank you magpie. i hope you enjoyed your maoam.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 am

I love the cheekiness and intelligence of corvids, not to mention their beautiful aesthetics. We have a lot of jackdaws all over the place in the Netherlands, and I think they're my favourite corvid. Always fun to see them gang around, or around this time of the year, hang out with their scruffier, skinnier young.

I'm personally not a huge fan of magpies since they tend to strike me as a bit "meaner" - I've often witnessed them caught in harassing behaviour and whatnot I don't see in crows and the jackdaws here. They're beautiful to look at and witnessing their intelligence in action can definitely be cool, though.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:31 am

I love the intelligence of crows. I watched something about crows once, and they had this small bucket inside something (maybe a glass, but I don't remember for sure), so the crow couldn't reach it. The bucket had some food in it, and they gave the crow a piece of straight wire. The crow then bent the wire, and used it to hook the handle of the bucket and lift it up so it could get to the food.

I'm sure that's just one of many intelligent things they can do, but it still amazes me. I mean, they seem so much smarter than my dog.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack