General Bear Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

SpiritPelt

General Bear Discussion

Post by SpiritPelt » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Grizzly Bears
Fast Facts
Height: 3- 3 ½ feet at shoulders.
Length: 6-7 feet.
Weight: Adult males 300 - 850 lbs; females 200 - 450 lbs.
Top speed 35 mph.
Lifespan 20 - 25 years.

Diet
Grizzly bears are omnivorous and will eat both vegetation and animals. Grasses, sedges, roots, berries, insects, fish, carrion and small and large mammals. In some areas grizzly bears eat moose, caribou and elk, in others they eat salmon. Grizzly bear diet varies depending on what foods are available in that particular season.

Did You Know?
Grizzly bears have a better sense of smell than a hound dog and can detect food from miles away.

Population
Historically, there were around 50,000 grizzly bears in North America. Today, there are 1,000 - 1,200 grizzly bears remaining in five separate populations in the lower 48 states. In Alaska, there are thought to be over 30,000 grizzly bears.

Range
Grizzly bears are found in a variety of habitats, from dense forests, to subalpine meadows and arctic tundra. In North America, grizzly bears are found in western Canada, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Historically, they could be found from Alaska to Mexico, California to Ohio. The grizzly bear was once common on the Great Plains. However, human encroachment has forced the remaining brown bear populations to move to rugged mountains and remote forests that are undisturbed by humans. See a grizzly bear range map >>

Behavior
Bears live solitary lives except during breeding, cub rearing, and in areas with a super-abundant food supply such as salmon streams. Grizzly bears hibernate during the winter for 5-8 months, and usually dig their dens on north-facing slopes to ensure good snow cover.

Grizzly bears need to eat a lot in the summer and fall in order to build up sufficient fat reserves for surviving the denning period. This is particularly true for pregnant females who give birth to one pound cubs and then nurse them to about 20 pounds before emerging from the den in April -May.

Did You Know?
Grizzly bears may gain as much as three pounds of weight a day as they prepare for hibernation.
Reproduction
Mating Season: Early May through mid-July
Gestation: Anywhere from 180-270 days, including delayed implantation.
Litter Size: 1-3 cubs
The young are born in January or February while the mothers are hibernating in a den. Cubs will remain with their mothers for at least 2 - 4 years.

Climate Change and Other Threats
Once common throughout the mountains and the Great Plains the grizzly bear (or brown bear) has been reduced to 2% of their historic range in the lower 48 states. A total of only 1,200-1,400 individuals still survive in five populations. For thirty years, Defenders has been actively involved in trying to make sure that this remarkable animal is recovered throughout its range.

The biggest threat to grizzly bear survival in the lower 48 is human-caused mortality. Bears come into conflict with humans when they are attracted by garbage, pet foods and bird food. This can often lead to the lethal removal of the bear. Climate change is making these conflicts more likely by contributing to the decline the whitebark pine, whose seeds are of one of the bears’ most important natural food sources. Warmer temperatures and drought have led to the expansion of white pine blister rust and pine beetle outbreaks. As the whitebark pine declines, grizzly bears are spending less time feeding at high elevations, and more time searching for substitute food sources, often in closer proximity to people.

Some brown bears are accidentally killed by hunters who mistake them for black bears, which are legal to hunt. And lastly, illegal killing (poaching) of bears remains another reason for their decline. Another threat is habitat degradation due to development, logging, road-building and energy and mineral exploration.
Source- http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_h ... y_bear.php

EDIT: The topic has now been changed to 'General Bear Discussion,' so there can be one whole topic to discuss bears instead of just one species.
Last edited by Quivira on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changing name of the topic.

Xathier
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Grizzly Bears

Post by Xathier » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing and adding to my knowlege of Grizzly Bears! :) But it is unfortunate that the population is declining :(
I am Xathier

I am proud

I am confident

I am independant

Rawr.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Re: General Bear Discussion

Post by Quivira » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:47 pm

-topic name changed to General Bear Discussion so users can now discuss all types of bears-

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

whitetip

Post by whitetip » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 pm

this is very Interesting , its sad to see the population is declining thanks for the info.

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I love all bears. Grizzly bear are one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing about grizzlys!
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

dustydawn
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by dustydawn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 am

Bears are such big animals. I find it amazing, that they start out so little, and become so big.
Probably one of the biggest bears I've seen was in Yellowstone. It was far out on the tree line, and it was huge, you really didn't need binoculars to see it. Such beautiful animals to watch.
" too many feelings "

" and love is a word used too much and much too soon "
icon : soranofavalor

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Very interesting topic. ^^
I personally love bears, they're amazing creatures. I'm currently really into kodiaks, pandas, and polar bears. I'm not really sure why I like bears so much, but I just find them really neat, unique creatures. =3
I have never seen a wild bear before, but I have seen polars and grizzlies in zoos.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Oceansong-Direwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Oceansong-Direwolf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Well, I never really cared for grizzlies. I've always preferred the Asiatic black bear. I don't know why. There just so awesome. :3

Oh, and the extinct short-faced bear could smell up to 13 miles away, while grizzlies can only smell up to 6 miles away (prehistoric animals rule)
One raindrop among millions.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 pm

-moved to Mammals-

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Bears have always fascinated me. They are such bold intelligent creatures. Anyways, here are some cool facts I found about bears in general. =]

1. Bears are good climbers and swimmers and despite their size can run quite quickly over short distances. Bears can run more than 45 kph.

2. Bears are, on the whole, solitary animals and only really congregate together when food is plentiful, like when catching salmon in streams.

3. Bears have an excellent sense of smell, much better than a dog and possibly the best of any mammal. It is mostly used to find food but is also used to detect the scent of other bears.

4. Bears are carnivores but most (except the Polar Bear) are heading towards becoming herbivores, eating mainly nuts, berries, fruit and other vegetation. Insects, rodents and fish are also a large part of their diet. Larger animals that bears eat have usually already been killed. Bears don’t like honey but are opportunistic feeders so will go through human garbage.

5. Bears usually hibernate in dens during the winter but occasionally come out if disturbed. Bears are known to not eat, drink or urinate for months during their hibernation. Mothers only waken to give birth, usually in January, to take good care of their cubs.

6. Bears can stand and sit quite comfortably and be in balance just like humans.

7. Bears can communicate vocally similar to dogs, by barking, growling, whining and roaring to accentuate threats, warnings, excitement and alarm. They rarely growl when aggressive and are mostly silent. The best way to warn a bear you are coming is to make a lot of noise so it runs away.

8. Despite their reputation, bears are not actually violent and rarely attack other animals or humans. The main reason they would act aggressively is when they are surprised and when mothers protect their young cubs or there is a territory dispute. Even in these cases aggression is mostly only used as a threat.

9. Bears are intelligent mammals, have a large brain and are known to have a very good memory and are good at navigating in very large territory.

10. There are 8 main living species of bear. The Polar Bear, the Gobi Bear and the Giant Panda are the most endangered, living in the Arctic, Gobi Desert and Western China respectively. The remaining bears are the other Brown bears, (which include the large Grizzly and Kodiak bears), Black bears, Sloth bear, Red Panda and Sun bear, which are also threatened species. Koala bears are not bears.

SOURCE: http://crazycreatures.org/2009/11/16/bear_facts/
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Redwalker

Post by Redwalker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Bears are such beautiful creatures. I love the sun bear. The sun bear is the smallest known species of bear (around 6 feet in height I believe) Cutest little bugs ever <3
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,