Hyena Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolftamer

Re: Hyenas!!!

Post by wolftamer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:44 pm

I think hyenas are really interesting. :D I've seen them on television, but I've been wanting to learn more about them. This really helps!Thanks for posting this, Loua

Winterwolf1

Post by Winterwolf1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I rather like hyenas. I find their build unique, I enjoyed reading what you have posted here. ^^
My favourite is probably the spotted hyena.
Icon made by Sambhur

Alsatian
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Alsatian » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 am

I think Hyenas are like my third favorite animals. They are very misunderstood, yes, and that's not good. I would try to protect them.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:30 am

Hyenas are incredibly fascinating creatures. They actually kill over 90% of their prey and are not strict carrion-eaters, like most people falsely believe. Lions steal a majority of their "own" prey from hyenas.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

DarkMyst
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: I have finished my novel outside of WQ, at 113,529 words, and I am editing it. Will be semi-inactive

Post by DarkMyst » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:03 pm

I like Hyenas very much, although I admit I have not found a strong "passion" for them as I have done with wolves. I am now finding though that I am liking them more and more, along with african wild dogs.
Hyenas are beautiful creatures, who are able to hunt many creatures larger than themselves, I have even heard of a pack of Hyenas hunting a giraffe, although I could be wrong on this.
I am angered by how many people think that Hyenas are cruel and vicious and "evil." Though they are strong and can be dangerous to humans, they would not attack unless provoked, like many animals.
Hyenas are beautiful creatures, it is a shame so many people seem to hate them so much.
Also, did you know that are the land-mammal that has the strongest force in their jaws?
I find that quite interesting, especially since there are many predators that are larger than they are.
I would love to write a story about a hyena, although I do not think I would be allowed to post it on here. XD
............---'----........Myst
........'.'...-------------------------------
.........'......."U-chebin Estel anim
I gave hope to men. I keep none for myself.
...------------......—Aragorn
......----'--'--.......DeviantART
....-'-......http://dritealtia.deviantart.com/
--'-----Icon :: Lupinzpack :: Sig :: DarkMyst

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:25 am

DarkMyst wrote:Also, did you know that are the land-mammal that has the strongest force in their jaws?
Hyenas have extremely well developed premolars which give them the bone-cracking capabilities. Hyenas have a 3x the bite force compared to a lion and 5x the bite force compared to a wolf. Their jaws have massive impact and pressure.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:15 pm

It's amazing that hyena's can digest everything there is to an animal, including bones, hooves and fur. Hyena's are well adapted and are amazing creatures with an extremely strong bite.^^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Alpha Female wrote:It's amazing that hyena's can digest everything there is to an animal, including bones, hooves and fur. Hyena's are well adapted and are amazing creatures with an extremely strong bite.^^
Actually, hyenas are unable to digest the hoofs and horns of their prey, but virtually every other part imaginable, including bones, fur and skin. You name it, and a hyena will eat it. XD
A single hyena can bring down an animal several times its size. Hyenas can digest virtually all parts of their herbivore prey except horns and hooves.

Source: http://special.news.msu.edu/hyena/spott ... php?hyenas

DarkMyst
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf
Location: I have finished my novel outside of WQ, at 113,529 words, and I am editing it. Will be semi-inactive

Post by DarkMyst » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Actually, Blightwolf, I saw a topic about how Hyena's "giggles" can be decoded, and although I didn't get to read all of it, I find that very interesting. Animals make sounds to communicate, but I didn't think that humans would be able to actually decode a way of vocal communication such as that.
I find that very mind-gripping (forgive my writers vocabulary) and amazing, seeing as we humans were previously unable to figure out what any signals animals made meant.
............---'----........Myst
.........'......."U-chebin Estel anim
I gave hope to men. I keep none for myself.
...------------......—Aragorn
......----'--'--.......DeviantART
....-'-......http://dritealtia.deviantart.com/
--'-----Icon :: Lupinzpack :: Sig :: DarkMyst

SpiritPelt

Hyena Discussion

Post by SpiritPelt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I went to Africa in... I dont know, like a year ago, and then I saw this forum.
When I went to Africa, I went on tour of the safari and we saw many different types of animals.
Personally, living in America, I dont see many exotic animals (except for in the zoo) and when I was there, we saw a... pack... of hyenas and a couple young lions (maybe the age of two) were teasing the hyenas and then the hyenas striked back.
There was a lot of false attacking and the hyenas were marking their territory but eventually, the hyenas got bored and went away, we followed the hyenas and then they went for some more trouble making.
A cheetah had cought some prey (an impala) and they kept on running at it and backing away, the voltures came in and the population piled up, forcing the cheetah to back-off.
The hyenas went in first and then the voltures picked off the last of the meat.
After that, the hyenas were lost when they had gone behind a few slopes.

I will always remember this moment with the hyenas. :3
Feel free to comment.

Here is some information I sort of remember from the trip:

Type:Mammal
Diet:Omnivore
Average life span in the wild:Up to 25 years
Size:Head and body, 34 to 59 in (86 to 150 cm); tail, 10 to 14 in (25 to 36 cm)
Weight:110 to 190 lbs (50 to 86 kg)
Group name:Clan
Size: relative to a 6-ft (2-m) man

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: Hyena Discussion

Post by Masika » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:00 am

Hello SpiritPelt,

Well, I'm actually going to move this over to the Nature & Wildlife section, since Hyenza aren't actually canids at all, they are greatly mistaken due to their apperance though :] They are actually more closely related to cats than canids.

-Thread Moved to Nature & Wildlife-
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

SpiritPelt

Post by SpiritPelt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Oh! Thanks a lot Silver! Wow, I didnt even know that! :3

portia
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by portia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I love hyenas. <3
And Silver is correct, hyenas are part of a sub-order of the order Carnivora which is Feliforma.
Wikipedia wrote:The Feliformia ("cat-like" carnivores, also Feloidea) are a suborder within the order Carnivora and includes cats (large and small), hyenas, mongooses, civets and related taxa. The other suborder of Carnivora is Caniformia ("dog-like" carnivores).
I saw a few hyenas on my visit to South Africa too and I have always adored them.

There is an old thread for hyenas [it hasn't been posted on since August 2010] and it has some interesting facts on hyenas too that you may not have known. :]
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36658

I think they are beautiful, misunderstood creatures that have only recently started getting the proper, positive recognition they deserve.
________Ͽ.Լ ᴀ ᴅ ʏ || Լ ᴜ ᴄ ɪ ғ ᴇ ʀ Ͼ
__......._.http://nymah-rose.deviantart.com
____.───────────────────────
__________Is ɪᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ
__________ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜɪs ᴋɪʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ?
____.───────────────────────
__._.______.___Av©Jewelz

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:09 am

I love hyenas, they are one of my favourite animals.

They are definitely underestimated; many people tend to assume that they are just scavengers, however they are pretty awesome hunters too - this video just illustrates their ability to bring down prey much larger than themselves:

I would love to go to Africa someday to see some wild hyenas; the ones I've seen have just been in reserves. My favourite hyena subspecies as to be the Striped Hyena - they are incredibly beautiful animals. :)

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolfyattitude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 am

You are lucky! I love hyenas when they laugh! It makes me laugh too!
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack