Echidna's Ranked as Most Endangered Animal

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Echidna's Ranked as Most Endangered Animal

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:03 am

Weird mammals struggling for survival

A bat-eared bushbaby and a scaly anteater are amongst the bizarre species that have been added to a list of the 100 most evolutionarily distinct and globally endangered (EDGE) mammals in the world.

3 species of Echidna ranked most endangered
Conservationists from the Zoological Society of London's (ZSL) EDGE of Existence programme have drawn on the latest research to create a new list of the of the world's most unique and threatened mammal species. Three species of long-beaked echidna - extraordinary egg-laying mammals related to the duck-billed platypus - are ranked equal first on the new list.

Ranging from wide-eyed primates to hose-nosed tapirs, EDGE species exhibit the natural world's most weird and wonderful features, but despite their unique appeal, nature's ‘ugly ducklings' are struggling to compete with the poster boys of conservation and secure the funding needed to save them from extinction.

"EDGE mammals are one-of-a-kind and they represent the true diversity of life on earth. If we let these species disappear, their extraordinary features and unique behaviours will be lost forever," says Carly Waterman, EDGE Programme Manager.

Dolphin already extinct
The original number one EDGE mammal, the Yangtze River dolphin, is already believed to have gone extinct. Conservationists are now racing against time to raise the profile and initiate conservation for the other underrated species on the EDGE list in order to avoid them suffering the same fate.

"There are mammals across the world requiring conservation attention, but EDGE species must be our top priority. Variety is truly the spice of life when it comes to the natural world and if we fail to preserve this variety, we are threatening our very own existence," says Craig Turner, EDGE Conservation Biologist.

The EDGE team are now in the process of recruiting a new cohort of in-country conservationists to fly the flag for EDGE mammals that include the Asian tapir and the Ganges River dolphin.
Source: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/edge-echidnas.html

I find it quite unfortunate to hear that there's so many animals on the EDGE list, and many are being added. There is a small list of animals that were added on the link to the article. Animals like the Asian tapir, black and white ruffed lemur, and Chinese pangolin are on the list. I believe it's most likely harder to find funding to help support these animals because their not as "pretty" or widely known as other animals, like for instance a tiger compared to an echidna.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: Echidna's Ranked as Most Endangered Animal

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:10 am

How interesting Alpha Female, indeed it is very sad to see all those animals on the endangered list.
It is a shame to see some remarkiible and intelligent animals on there, hopefuly something can be done about this.
Thank you for sharing this information Alpha Female =D
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 am

Whaaaaat the Yangtze River dolphin is already believed to be extinct? I loved those things when I was little. I really hope they get going with conservation for them soon.

My friend loved Echidnas so I was always wondering what he was talking about when he mentioned them. Thanks for sharing; its a shame to hear they are threatened.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Aw. D'=
Echidnas are so cool. I mean, they're one of the only mammals that lay eggs. It's so unfortunate....

And thanks for the link with some of the other animals too; learned about a few new ones. =3
Aye, hopefully there's still a chance to save these species.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am

I love Echidna's... :C
This is quite an informing article Alpha Female, it's sad to hear that so many animals have been put up on the Endangered Species List; including the Echidna.
Thanks for sharing this with us, hopefully they can still be saved.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

IndianWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the moon with Wolves , Comanches ,and Apaches!

Post by IndianWolves » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:53 pm

It is sad that some animals become endangered and then extinct a lot of it is man kind with habitat loss, pollution, and introducing more species.
Boars are AWEFUL in america they destroy peoples land also destroying environment. Boars are becoming so over popullated that in the next few decades they will be in Most of the US Its Horid that some animals are becomeing enctinct and others are becoming so overpopulated that people can't stand the sight of them! :? :oops: :(
hi-la-hi ka-li-i hi-a da-na-wa-nv-ne-hi a-le a-la-s-di i-tsu-la
Go through the warpath and fight together.
CHEROKEE

I'm A mixed up Native American got a problem ?

FlamingSirius
Pup
Pup
Location: Eating M'n'M's (Pssst, I think he's gonna eat Gary!)

Post by FlamingSirius » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 am

I live in Australia so I have seen the Echidna in the wild.
It is very rare,and it is such a amazing creature
To start a Echidna sanctuary would be a good idea
I throw my money in the air sometimes,saying AAAAYYYOO!!!,not gonna paayyoo!

H.O.W.L supporter
Proud to be Australian

Go All Blacks!