Dinosaurs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolfman200789
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Dinosaurs

Post by wolfman200789 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:43 pm

I find dinosaurs interesting but there not my favorite ancient creatures. The were not the first animals to evolve after all. All birds evolved from dinosaurs with their closest living relative being the modern turkey. Dinosaurs originally evolved from small reptiles and first began to appear 231 million years ago. About a single hop backwards in terms of the history of planet earth. Some of the dinosaurs that fascinated me the most where of coarse Tyrannosaurus Rex, The triceratops which I have a tooth fragment of in my fossil collection, and Microraptor gui which was small dinosaur with feathered arms whose tree gliding behavior mimicked that of a flying squirrel. At the same time the dinosaurs existed there where of course marine reptiles like Tylosaurus , The first sea turtles, sharks of many kinds some may look like the modern ones while others where so bizarre and scary they could outdo JAWS any day. On the land there existed many small modern looking lizard, as well as the first mammals. The era of the dinosaurs which lasted from when they first appeared 231 million years ago to when their reign ended when an asteroid the size of MT. Everest and planet earth collided with one another wiping out nearly all life on earth dinosaurs included. It is one of my favorite points in all of earth's history. It makes my mind reel and gives a feeling of excitement.

Oh and as to why I said the earth and asteroid collided with each other is because they did. The earth is not stationary of course and it travels fast. It orbits the sun at a speed of 18 miles per second. This means the every second the earth moves ahead by 18 miles. so an asteroid impact like the one that killed the dinosaurs is not a slow earth being hit by a fast asteroid. But instead a high speed collision where both victims are going very very fast. That is why the asteroid vaporized upon impact leaving only a crater to tell us what happened to the asteroid and to the dinosaurs.
"Beauty can be found in every stone, plant, creature, and person. You just have to look hard enough to see it." me-

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 2365e2.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 975638.jpg

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 pm

My favourite herbivore in the Jurassic Era would be Stegosaurus, favourite carnivore is Ceratosaurus.
My favourite herbivore in the Cretaceous Era is probably the Ouranasaurus, while my favourite carnivore would be the Albertosaurus. I like T-Rex too, obviously, but everyone likes that one. :P

Speaking of dinosaurs (which I've always loved!), if you like Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis....there are a few games like that currently in very early development where you build a theme park and stick dinosaurs inside it.

They are:

Mesozoica
Prehistoric Kingdom

There is one where you get to play as dinosaurs, but it is in VERY early stages of development. It's called:

The Isle
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:59 am

SolitaryHowl wrote: My favourite herbivore in the Cretaceous Era is probably the Ouranasaurus, while my favourite carnivore would be the Albertosaurus. I like T-Rex too, obviously, but everyone likes that one. :P
Just letting everyone know that it's spelled T. rex (like C. lupus or H. sapiens) ;)
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:02 am

La Striata wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote: My favourite herbivore in the Cretaceous Era is probably the Ouranasaurus, while my favourite carnivore would be the Albertosaurus. I like T-Rex too, obviously, but everyone likes that one. :P
Just letting everyone know that it's spelled T. rex (like C. lupus or H. sapiens) ;)
Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction!
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Tokyon

Post by Tokyon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 am

Funny, because I've some interesting for dinosaurs too.

When I was just a little girl, my favorite toys aren't barbies, but reality dinosaurs toys interested me and those ones was my one of my favorite toys at that time.

I was playing every day with my dinosaur toys and sometimes I figured to be one of carnivorous dinosaurs. Not that world's the secondly biggest carnivorous dinosaurs who knowed name by "Dinosaur Rex" but first world's biggest ( I just can't remember that name at this time. ).

Just now I just keep watch the some documents at those Nature Documentary channels. Sometimes I just keep dreaming if only I had those old toys.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:05 pm

I, also, used to have dinosaur toys as a little girl. I was fascinated by their behaviour and their different ways of dealing with different habitats. Even now I love them and the fact each one is so different yet they all have some similarities to one other and finding links between them is fun to me, especially because they are extinct and it's hard to find out about them for definite.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:24 pm

I've loved dinos since I was little. I still love them. If you haven't seen my posts in 'Other Video games' I usually post dino games. My favorite are Acrocanthosaurus, Raptors, and well... All of them cx

D0m

Post by D0m » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm

I have to say my favourite dinosaurs are probably Raptors, especially the Utahraptor. (My avvie <33)
I sometimes find it annoying when I rewatch the Jurassic Park series because there are so many mistakes, the one that bugs me most is the size of the Velociraptors; in reality they're not that big. Velociraptors (on a average sized, fully grown man) would stand to around their knee, whereas in the movies they are about a Utahraptor size (a little bit above the size of an average man). Another thing that bugs me is the name because their main dinosaurs were actually around in the Cretaceous period but I won't go into that. I still enjoy the films but that just bugs me ^.^

I really like to learn more about the Dinosaurs, we're discovering so many new species even now. This was actually a while ago but I head about the Wendyceritops, it's from the same family as the Triceratops and is named after the lady who found it (someone called Wendy). I am also fascinated by the way that the Dinosaurs all just "disappeared", there are a lot of theories about it and some of them are rather interesting and others are pretty much completely ridiculous.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Legendary Sucker
Name: Ruff

Post by Legendary Sucker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:44 pm

When I was a child I used to be anxious for Christmas, because I probably would have dinosaur toys as gifts... hahaha... (I have them till today but don't tell my parents or they will manage to give them to someone while I'm at the campus!) I never liked dolls (actually, they make me nervous with that face... staring meh), it's why they always gave me dinosaur toys.
I grew up watching Jurassic Park (many, many, many times), but I have no clue when my passion started. My favorite ones are the Allosaurus, with no apparent reason, just because they are pretty awesome and good-looking fossils (and digital dinos, lol).
I love to know more about their extinction and also about how would the world be if they hadn't been extincted. Look at the amazing brain that the Troodons and Raptors had! Have you ever imagined what would have happened if they had evolved since that time to today? If it took us 7 million years to supposedly evolve from the monkeys, what about them? Idk... it chills me when I think about it... So intriguing!
ℒιჩεятέ

▻▹ We believe ourselves redeemers, avengers, saviors. ◃◅
We dream of leaving our stamp upon the world...
▻▹ ...even as we give our lives in a conflict ◃◅
that will be recorded in no history book.

ƛℓℓ тнαт ωє ძσ, αℓℓ тнαт ωє αяє, вєɢɪηs αηძ єηძs ωɪтн σursєℓvєs

Av/Sig © Sobakka/Me

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:54 am

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:I have to say my favourite dinosaurs are probably Raptors, especially the Utahraptor. (My avvie <33)
I sometimes find it annoying when I rewatch the Jurassic Park series because there are so many mistakes, the one that bugs me most is the size of the Velociraptors; in reality they're not that big. Velociraptors (on a average sized, fully grown man) would stand to around their knee, whereas in the movies they are about a Utahraptor size (a little bit above the size of an average man). Another thing that bugs me is the name because their main dinosaurs were actually around in the Cretaceous period but I won't go into that. I still enjoy the films but that just bugs me ^.^

I'm surprised that was your only complaint. I would have thought the complete lack of feathers was the greatest mistake.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

D0m

Post by D0m » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Yes, that certainly was a mistake. However, as far as I know the idea of them having feathers is relatively new and came around after the release of Jurassic Park so I wouldn't exactly blame them for that. It is quite a large mistake but for the time it was made I don't think that they knew about Velociraptors having feathers.

Edit: According to the American Museum of Natural History's website, the bone with signs of "quill knobs" was unearthed in 1998.
The fossil specimen the group examined was a Velociraptor forearm unearthed in Mongolia in 1998. They found on it clear indications of quill knobs places where the quills of secondary feathers, the flight or wing feathers of modern birds, were anchored to the bone with ligaments.
And Jurassic Park was released July 16th, 1993 (in the UK), before the discovery of Velociraptors having feathers. So the fact they wouldn't of known about Velociraptors having feathers makes it not so bad (in my opinion), that's why I didn't mention it in my other post.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
〘 Skadoosh 〙