Insects and Other Bugs

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Your Favorite Insect

Butterfly
37%
Lady Bug
18%
Fly
No votes
Mosquito
No votes
Beetles
8%
Other
37%

Total votes: 49

Amaroqwolf
Pup
Pup

Re: Insects and Other Bugs

Post by Amaroqwolf » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

I don't like insects as much as WOLVES.
I am ☾Amaroq☽,
The Alpha Male of the great ☼Starlight Pack☼.
I am loyal to my family and my packmates,
I am strong and will fight to the death to defend my home and territory,
Don’t forget that…

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:07 pm

LOL Yesterday was kind of funny.
We hd been dissmissed from school, and the place we wait for our cars to come, well,sitting there was a giant lopper grass hopper. And everyone was like, "EEEEEEWWWWWW" and, "Oh my gosh!!!" or, "some one step on it. . ." (-_-)
And being the slight tomboy that i am, i picked it up, and of course, everyone's like "EEEEEWWWWW"
And took it over to a tree and let it go.

Then like ten seconds later, a swarm of bees come down and attacked!! No one got stung, but, it was pretty scary!0_0
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow, I wouldn't be sitting there. I'd probably be trying to move in the other direction.
Yeah, when people pick up insects others are like "EWWW NO KILL IT KILL IT!" and I'm sitting (away from the scene) watching with a raised eyebrow thinking. "Okaaayy....thennn... o.e"

Anyways; I had a similar event happen. We where walking and out of the grass two grasshoppers (rather big ones in my opinion) jumped out of no where.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I was walking down a trail with my two friends behind me. I turned to talk to them, and one of them points to my leg and screams "bug!" I looked down and screamed seeing this large grasshopper crawling up my leg (I was wearing pants, so I couldn't feel it). I ran off flailing my hands around trying to get the bug off.
I have to admit, seeing that would have been hilarious. I screamed so loudly. xD

I've done that many times, but this is the most recent one I can remember.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:24 pm

The other day at school I was eating a danish and a wasp flew into it and I almost took a bite when my friend screams,
'Om my gosh! Tani, you have a (censored) bee in your food!!' And I literally screamed my head of and threw down my food and started jumping on it. Yep.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 am

Wow Aspine, are you okay? Usually those thing sting. o.o
My dad one time saw a wasp in the window, so he took 3 layers of tissue and then picked up the wasp. He could feel it try to sting him as he flushed it down the toilet. (but it couldn't sting him because of how thick the tissue was)

Alpha Female wrote:I was walking down a trail with my two friends behind me. I turned to talk to them, and one of them points to my leg and screams "bug!" I looked down and screamed seeing this large grasshopper crawling up my leg (I was wearing pants, so I couldn't feel it). I ran off flailing my hands around trying to get the bug off.
I have to admit, seeing that would have been hilarious. I screamed so loudly. xD

I've done that many times, but this is the most recent one I can remember.
That would have been an interesting seen. xD
Though, I would have just tried to shake it of my leg, instead of running around screaming. (get it off my leg, then run around screaming)

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:07 am

Member how i said we had to play tennis wars with the mud daubers?
Well, i just remembered, like a day after that, there was one in my mom's shower! XD
And she was freaked out.
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:29 am

This is why it is good to check the showers and tubs when you are living in bug country, because you never know where one may pop up. xD

That must have been both frightening, and scary. Also a bit shocking, is she alright?
Also, I am curious to see how that one went over. Probably not very well.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 am

One night I was brushing my teeth and I found a daddy long legs in my sink. I screamed (being taken by surprise) and ran out of the bathroom (this happened when I was about six or so). My sister thought I saw a bat or something scary that she could handle, so she runs in (trying to be brave and all) and looks around. Funny thing was she ran out screaming as well once she saw the daddy long legs.
My mom came in and quickly disposed of it, but I didn't use my sink for a couple weeks, afraid it would come crawling back up the pipe. xD

I wonder how your mom dealt with the mud dauber in her shower. I would most likely freak out and try to get rid of it. xP
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 am

Well, i am afraid of bugs and yet I use to have a lady bug toy that looked realistic and I'd carry it everywhere with me. So, one time my mom thought it was a real bug and flushed it down the toilet. So, I got upset. xD

As for the dadylonglegs - I saw one before when I was heading over one of those concrete things that are usually found in parking lots. It was rather large, so I decided to take a different rout. But, the thing is they are practically harmless.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:58 am

True, they are harmless but they can still looks scary. xD
I think most people are scared of spiders is because they watch movies like Eight Legged Freaks and things, showing spiders as "evil" or "killers". Yes, some spiders are deadly, but not all of them. I don't mind watching spiders with a glass case in front of me, but they are very neat creatures.
Even watching a tarantula is pretty neat, though they are venomous. I've watched one hunt before, at a zoo. It's freaky to watch, so I left once it caught the mouse (not wanting to see it eat its catch).
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 am

That could be one of the reasons; but I watched a documentary on Arachnophobia. The fear of spiders isn't most commonly because they watched a movie; the reason is because people are worried that the Spider will bite then due to the common stories on spider bites and the toxins that spiders carry.
Another reason is due to their looks, but the may reason is because of the fangs and the threat of them biting.

ethiopianwolfking
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ethiopianwolfking » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:02 am

in my 'bug game reserve' that i mentioned earlier, i got quite a few daddy long legs spiders among other things. the other bugs i used to get there included aphids, centipedes, millipedes, woodlice, ladybirds, spiders, harvestmen, ants, wasps, worms, shieldbugs, various beetles and (i know it isnt actually a bug but it lived there) a rather fat common frog.
the thing that really annoys me is people reading this signature!

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am

Those are interesting insects; I once saw a really big centipede in my basement one time. I had to pull my feet up off the floor because of it. o.e

One insect I find really interesting is the Stick bug. It has a really good camouflage because it looks like a stick. Unless it moves of course.

ethiopianwolfking
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ethiopianwolfking » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 am

yea i once accidentally ended up with a pet stick insect lol :lol:
it died after 2 months though. :(
the thing that really annoys me is people reading this signature!