Minnesota Zoo Welcomes 2 New Dolphins

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Who is your fav. dolphin @ mnzoo

Spree
10%
Allie
No votes
April
No votes
Semo
No votes
I LOVE THEM ALL
70%
I dont live in the Apple Valley Area so i dont know
20%

Total votes: 10

Spree
Pup
Pup

Minnesota Zoo Welcomes 2 New Dolphins

Post by Spree » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:10 pm

I took this page from http://www.mnzoo.com/animals/discovery_ ... lphins.asp
Hope its ok!! Its really good news!!!

Minnesota Zoo Welcomes Two New Dolphins

Dolphins getting acclimated to new home; not yet on public display

After much anticipation, two new female Atlantic bottlenose dolphins have arrived at the Minnesota Zoo.

April and Allie arrived at the Zoo from the Dolphin Connection in Florida. They will join Minnesota Zoo dolphins Semo and Spree on public display after they are fully acclimated to their new surroundings and caretakers. "This is an exciting time for the Zoo and we're thrilled to have April and Allie here,” said Marine Mammal Supervisor Diane Fusco. “Our staff looks forward not only to introducing them to Spree and Semo in the near future, but to our guests as well.”

April and Allie, who are owned by the Brookfield Zoo in Illinois, were brought to the Minnesota Zoo as a breeding recommendation by a consortium of zoos and aquariums that manage their dolphins collectively. It is also hoped that the two will become “role models” to young Spree. Both dolphins are approximately eight feet long and weigh between 400-430 pounds.

Until they are on public display, you will be able to get periodic updates of April and Allie by visiting this page. Also you can read April and Allie's bios.

The most familiar of the 37 species of dolphins, adult Atlantic bottlenose dolphins range in length from 8 to 12 feet and weigh between 400 and 600 pounds. Their sleek, torpedoshaped bodies are padded with a layer of insulating blubber. Their prominent rostrums or beaks account for the name “bottlenose.” Bottlenose dolphins inhabit warm and temperate seas worldwide and may also enter harbor bays, lagoons, estuaries and river mouths. Some populations can also be found living offshore.

Here are ALL the dolphins Bios from Mn zoo here is the link
Minnesota Zoo Welcomes Two New Dolphins
http://www.mnzoo.org/animals/discovery_ ... phbios.asp

SEMO

Semo has been at the Minnesota Zoo since 1991. He can be identified as a robust animal with a short rostrum or beak and he is darker in color as compared to the rest of the dolphins.

Since his arrival at the Minnesota Zoo in 1991 Semo has sired two calves. With an estimated birth date of 1964, Semo is thought to be one of the oldest males in human care to sire a calf.

Scientists observing dolphins have found that there is a dominance structure within their social groupings, however dominance within the group can change frequently. Here at the Zoo Semo often takes on the role of the dominant animal. You may observe him chasing other dolphins or displaying a behavior called"jaw clapping" which are often times associated dominance behaviors.

Despite the pressure of being a dominant animal, Semo still finds time to form relationships with the trainers. Whether its playing a game of ball retrieval or helping train a new trainer, Semo always manages to put a smile on his trainers face.

SPREE

Spree was born at the Minnesota Zoo on August 16, 2002. As her name suggests, she is quite energetic. She is often observed exploring and playing. Much of Spree's learning is done by watching and then mimicking "Semo," and she is learning more and more behaviors for the dolphin show every day.

Each member of the training staff has spent time developing a strong relationship with her which is a building block in Spree’s training program. Like her mom Rio, she is a quick learner and likes to be spontaneous. She is participating in our daily dolphin shows displaying many of behaviors she has learned. One of her favorite behaviors is to emit a bubble ring from her blowhole while at the windows. Watch for Spree displaying more behaviors in our shows as she progresses in her training.

April
(not yet on exhibit)

April arrived at the Minnesota Zoo on January 14, 2008 from the Dolphin Connection in Florida. She will be on exhibit in Discovery Bay after she is fully acclimated to her new surroundings, caretakers, and resident dolphins Semo and Spree.

Owned by the Brookfield Zoo, April is 8 feet long, weighs approximately 430 pounds, and is distinguished by the dark grey colorations on her back along with the dark markings on her head. She successfully mothered three calves: Allie (also at the Minnesota Zoo), Keebler, and Wilson.

With an estimated birth year of 1967, April is approximately 41 years old.

Allie
(not yet on exhibit)

April arrived at the Minnesota Zoo on January 14, 2008 from the Dolphin Connection in Florida. She will be on exhibit in Discovery Bay after she is fully acclimated to her new surroundings, caretakers, and resident dolphins Semo and Spree.

Owned by the Brookfield Zoo, Allie is 8 feet long, weighs approximately 400 pounds, and is distinguished by her long, slender rostrum and light grey coloration. Daughter to April (also at the Minnesota Zoo), she also mothered one calf, Balla.

Allie was born on April 1, 1987.
Merry Christmas!

Xo-Hope-oX
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Minnesota Zoo Welcomes 2 New Dolphins

Post by Xo-Hope-oX » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:15 pm

yay! i love dolphins! i love all of them there so cute!
Deviantart:
http://xx-wolfspirit-xx.deviantart.com/

May 2008 User of the month

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:25 pm

I love dolphins as well ^-^. How exciting, too bad I don't live near there
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

Spree
Pup
Pup

Post by Spree » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:37 pm

WQ Cordin8tr: do you know when they will be in exsebit
Merry Christmas!

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Whatever happened to shadow? I remember him from a long time ago I got to feed him, and there was another dolphin that loved to eat whistles.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

Spree
Pup
Pup

Post by Spree » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 am

Shadow was moved to National aquarium in baltimore for breeding porpuses. Probally recomended by AZA (Assoisation of Zoos and Aquariums. Eat whistels??? maybe Dj?
Merry Christmas!

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:45 pm

The new dolphins won't be on exhibit for a while. They need to get used to their new keeper staff, the sights, sounds, the other dolphins, etc. and this can take an unknown amount of time. Each animal is different-some might adjust in a month, some longer-some shorter. Keep an eye out on the zoo's website www.mnzoo.org and the news. I am sure when they are on exhibit, you should find out soon.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:32 pm

spreemnzoo wrote:Shadow was moved to National aquarium in baltimore for breeding porpuses. Probally recomended by AZA (Assoisation of Zoos and Aquariums. Eat whistels??? maybe Dj?
Yeah DJ sounds right... LOL I saw him get his stomache pumped as he swiped the keepers whistle when she dropped it LOL.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

Spree
Pup
Pup

Post by Spree » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:35 am

CLBaileyi wrote:The new dolphins won't be on exhibit for a while. They need to get used to their new keeper staff, the sights, sounds, the other dolphins, etc. and this can take an unknown amount of time. Each animal is different-some might adjust in a month, some longer-some shorter. Keep an eye out on the zoo's website www.mnzoo.org and the news. I am sure when they are on exhibit, you should find out soon.
Thanks

PS THESE Dolphins are owned by brookfield zoo and are being used for breedin porpouses recomended by Aza right? or am i wrong?
Last edited by Spree on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Christmas!

Spree
Pup
Pup

Post by Spree » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:49 pm

any body besides these care about these cuties????
Merry Christmas!

Twilight12343
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Twilight12343 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 pm

awesome! i love dolphins! :mrgreen:

WQ (BaltoSource)

Post by WQ (BaltoSource) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Ive always wondered, how do dolphins (and other animals similar) get transported over such a long distance? O.o *sounded confusing for a minute* I heard of putting them in a little tank or something but how do they keep a ton of water splashing all over the place?

Spree
Pup
Pup

Post by Spree » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:00 pm

They are transferred thru Airplanes and are kept moist thru the ride and when reach land state trooper gaurds the car with dolphin in it. Compilcate procseess!! 60000 dollars a dolphin
Merry Christmas!

WQ (BaltoSource)

Post by WQ (BaltoSource) » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:59 pm

why the heck does someone guard the car? its not like someone is waiting to shoot the dolphins or something O.o but then, you have to push past a crowd who wants to touch the dolphins, but I would think since dolphins live in water that there would be a lot of weight on their insides and such that all the weight on themselves would (unfortunately) kill the dolphin, are you saying they are transported in tanks by a plane?

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 pm

They aren't kept in tanks. But they are on stretchers or something and there are people who continually moisten the dolphin with water. Or at least that's how I think they do it anyway o.o;
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/