Small local zoos

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Sintact

Re: Small local zoos

Post by Sintact » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:45 am

Recently here in Santiago they reported a zoo that was keeping their animals in the worst possible states (I mean; animals with no food, wounded and infected legs with no professional treatment, cages in a terrible state, etc). At least they are suing them and they are supposted to do something soon (they only received a $2000,00 demand, can you belive that?)

Katherine Vampire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Katherine Vampire » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:19 am

Sintact wrote:Recently here in Santiago they reported a zoo that was keeping their animals in the worst possible states (I mean; animals with no food, wounded and infected legs with no professional treatment, cages in a terrible state, etc). At least they are suing them and they are supposted to do something soon (they only received a $2000,00 demand, can you belive that?)

It's really cruel. To keep animals like that. No animal deserves that.
Here in Texas, there used to be a small zoo, but the animals were so beautiful and happy, the humans were taking care of them good.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:37 am

Sintact wrote:Recently here in Santiago they reported a zoo that was keeping their animals in the worst possible states (I mean; animals with no food, wounded and infected legs with no professional treatment, cages in a terrible state, etc). At least they are suing them and they are supposted to do something soon (they only received a $2000,00 demand, can you belive that?)
Stuff like that is always ridiculous to hear..
Any animals, captive or wild, should never have to live and suffer through such conditions. Especially the fact that it is a zoo. (Supposedly the place where animals are kept healthy and safe?)

I have never seen a badly run zoo, and my local zoo is usually pretty care-taking. My only issue is that is is too small.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 am

That's sickening, an animal shouldn't suffer in those conditions. The workers, should at least advance into thoroughly taking care of their zoo/park more efficiently now. Whenever I go to mine I always see workers out in the pens/cages. So mainly they know when to feed and examine them. But still that's a shame, I hope they look forward and take responsibility more efficient in the future.

Mother nature took it's toll back in 2010, when we just got a mother snow leopard ready to give birth to cubs. The worst snow storm to occur destroyed the cage next to hers, allowing a tree to fall onto her cage. Workers called a few veterinarians near by and found the Leopard ok, though had to remove her for a few months, while they repaired her cage. Nothing was in the cage, that got damaged first, but this shows that zoos do care about animals, though without the right responsibility from others, disasters can happen quickly.
Roses are gray,
Violets are blue,
I am a dog

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Our local zoo is of a decent size. From what I know the animals are well taken care of, but I have more of an issue with the possiblity of cheetahs being put a small distance away from my house... I get that he wants to expand, but between two houses is not the way to go.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 am

At my local zoo, we actually got quite a great surprise last weekend. Three tiger cubs were born. ^^ Now I'm very interested in our next visit. I'm hoping the cubs will be healthier than ever. :)
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

BestWolfForever
Pup
Pup

Post by BestWolfForever » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

The smallest zoo in my area is Reid Park Zoo also called Tucson Zoo.
The Biggest zoo would be Pheonix zoo.
╔╗╔╗╔══╗╔╗╔═╗╔╗╔╗
║║║║║╔╗║║║║║║║║║║
║╚╝║║║║║║║║║║║║║║
║╔╗║║║║║║║║║║║║║║
║║║║║╚╝║║╚╝║╚╝║║╚═╗
╚╝╚╝╚══╝╚══╩══╝╚══╝

Please click my pet:

http://www.petadoptworld.com/pages/petpage.asp?petid=9700

Latra

Post by Latra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:24 pm

We have a small zoo (if it can be considered that?) sorta near our house. It's Space Farms: Zoo and Museum. The animals are pretty healthy but the enclosures are a bit small for my liking, and I'm sure the animal's. I'm also uncomfortable with the fact that the entrance to the place you are greated with stuffed animals and skins hanging from balconies. I understand that once their animals die they may want them stuffed except I'm fairly sure they don't have polar bears and snow leopards there. But they were the home to the world's largest Kodiak bear, Goliath and have him stuffed there. They also have a nice display of animal skulls and preserved animals in jars. It's cool that they kept Goliath's skull among other bear's so people could see how monstrous it was. It's a cool little zoo though, you can feed some foxes and bears animal crackers, well I guess you can feed all the animals there excluding the carnivores. They don't have terribly large animals, their biggest are some bears, tigers,buffalo, and lions. They have wolves, coyotes, all sorts of deer, an alligator (i believe that's what it was), all kinds of foxes, snakes, bears, lions, tigers, lots of smaller wild cats, buffalo, farm animals, badgers, gophers, prairie dogs, and a couple other things. It's not a big grand place but it's nice. The museum part of the place is also interesting.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop