General Owl Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

EternalLaughter
Pup
Pup

Re: General Owl Discussion

Post by EternalLaughter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Kivia wrote: Do you know what kind of owls they are? That's pretty sweet though, and I would love to see pics if you have them <3
Back home my dad was telling me how they've been seeing Great Horned Owls around, as well as hearing them.

They're barn owls. I enjoy seeing them from my window upstairs and I have some photos of the owls in my room.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm
for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life.
●~ Terry Pratchett~●

avvie: LupinzPack

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:40 pm

Owls are pretty interesting birds. ^^

Snowy owls and barn owls are my favourites hands-down, though I've never seen any owls where I live... When I used to go with my parents to biker rallies there was one that had a show with some owls and their handler. At another we only ever heard an owl during the evening though we were near a barn so it's likely that it was hunting somewhere nearby. I think my interest in owls comes from reading (and watching) Harry Potter books (and movies); another book I vaguely remember reading in school was The Owl Service, by Alan Garner.
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

EternalLaughter
Pup
Pup

Post by EternalLaughter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:49 pm

I've seen some shows where they bring in different types of birds and owls that you were allowed to touch. Its a really cool experience to even see an owl in the wild or even be able to pet them.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm
for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life.
●~ Terry Pratchett~●

avvie: LupinzPack

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Owls are some of my favorite creatures! My definite favorite species are Barn Owls, Northern Saw-Whet Owls, and Burrowing Owls. Barn Owls and Burrowing Owls can be found in the state I live in, but I've never personally seen one, but I have seen Barred Owls at the local zoo.

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 pm

• Ahh I absolutely love snowy owls, they’re probably my favourite, I love them so much cx
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟧 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | Lupe

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 pm

EternalLaughter wrote:I've seen some shows where they bring in different types of birds and owls that you were allowed to touch. Its a really cool experience to even see an owl in the wild or even be able to pet them.
lol, any place that allows people from the general public to handle/touch their owls isn't a place to support. it makes people think "ooo pet bird" and honestly contributes to illegal taking them from the wild and other bad things.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 pm

I found an owl feather out biking today, took it home, and shared it on my uni's wildlife club Facebook group asking for identification help. I had two different people from a local bird education/rescue PM me all excited that it was a barred owl feather, which is apparently very rare for our area! Now I must protect it at all costs, lol!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:29 am

dani, that’s illegal. I’m shocked nobody told you that.
In 1918, the United States and Canada signed the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, making it illegal to trap, kill, possess, sell or harass migratory birds, and the protection includes their eggs, nests and feathers.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/17/ ... -feathers/

the MBTA applies to both the usa and canada. Best let that feather go. Besides, its reused in nature.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm aware, want to keep it anyway though. I tape them to my bedroom wall.
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm

talking about illegal things is against wq rules tho
Its a federal crime dani. Its not worth it.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 pm

sorry but i think it's hilarious that your message seems to be worded in a way that implies "i tape them to my bedroom wall" is justification for breaking federal law. i would be careful though, you're not exactly anonymous on the internet and it's a very silly thing to let yourself get in trouble over.

while i'm in this topic, i think i've only seen an owl in the wild once, if that wasn't just a dream i had as a child that got turned into a false memory haha. i don't think i've ever even heard one before around here.

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm

exactly, besides, bird feathers can contain parasites and other nasties you don't want in your house

but anyway -- speaking of barred owls, i'm starting to handle the big one at the center. he's a doll, i love him. he hates me.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 pm

My final comment re the feather:

Consider why and how this Act was written the way it was. It encompasses all parts of the animal for a specific reason: to make it easier to obtain convictions in serious cases where birds are actually being harmed, sold, or exploited at large scales. This total coverage removes the chance of defences like, "I was just picking up these feathers for fun". The wording makes prosecution simpler.

Your respective concerns are not necessary. I'm at virtually no risk of prosecution for picking up a single feather. Federal law or not, the exploitation of living wildlife is happening at much greater scales than people picking up the odd feather. There are bigger fish to fry.
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

alethe

Post by alethe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 pm

who cares? it sets a bad example. they have no way of knowing that you didn't kill the bird to get that feather, especially if barred owls are rare in your area. your excuses for keeping it are, frankly, kinda immature. i expect more from someone who is a biology major (if i am not mistaken). it doesn't matter that there are "bigger fish to fry." you know its wrong -- so why do it?

if you want to pull the "why the law is written," here you go.
without this law
like -- say i had a snowy owl feather collection. i posted it on the internet, got popular from it. say you live in an area with few snowy owls. but you want to get popular too! so one day you see one, and you could wait for it to maybe drop one feather -- or you can get a ton of feathers in one go. so you shoot the bird and get a ton in one go.

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Going to step in here and say that we do technically talk about illegal activities on the WolfQuest forum (take the article I shared about the illegal wolf killing in Germany yesterday) but from a point of education and awareness, so your warning alethe is kind of unnecessary and borderline backseat moderating (for something we don’t enforce in a binary way). The attitude on this thread needs to change— it reminds me of 2014.

Previous discussion on past topics (that you two have both participated in) have made it very clear that the collecting of bird feathers and other parts is illegal, so I don’t think it’s a good use of anyone’s time to justify or condemn the activity on a thread for general owl discussion and beat the other’s opinion into the ground (or herald their own). I also don’t think it needs its own separate thread, because I can just see this pointless back-and-forth discussion continuing. I recommend that you all move along and stay on topic so this thread doesn’t get locked.