General Owl Discussion

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Re: General Owl Discussion

Post by Wonderland Summer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 pm

BARN OWLS
I love Barn Owls. They are my favorites. I am reading the third book of Guardians Of Ga'Hoole. Gonna go read now!
¨¨
|¨ Wonderland Summer ¨|
It's all fun and games
till somebody loses their
|..╚═ MIND ═╝..|
¨¨
Signature - Raven
Lyrics- Taylor Swift's Wonderland

celawolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Madi

Post by celawolf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

i like the movie but have never really read the books. But i really do love the story about Soren and his brother. Its a good one! :D
celawolf

sepias
Name: bee

Post by sepias » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:05 am

• I absolutely love owls. They always seem so wise and majestic perched in the trees, simply staring at you. They fly silently, which I find amazing. They seem to be very intelligent, and just fascinate me. I love Great Gray Owls because of their size and intimidating appearance. My owl craze did, in fact, start with the intellectual Guardian of Ga'Hoole owls.

✧ ✧ . . . . . J U L E S . . . . . ✧ ✧

follow me on twitter @sleepydawgs
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

sig : alethe / av: seihes [deviantART]

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 am

I wonder what it would be like to hug a Great Gray. They're pretty much all feathers- the actual bird is pretty small. I mean, they only weigh on average around 1350g, which is about 3lbs. So much fluff though. <3

My Wildlife Conservation class focused on the issues concerning the Northern Spotted Owl last Thursday. Should have seen the look on my face when a Spotted Owl popped up on the screen.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 pm

You'd feel so much fluff if you hugged a Great Gray. I can't imagine that the owl would be happy about it though.. something tells me they don't like being hugged XD

What issues do they face, Kivia? I've never looked into owl conservation.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Northern Spotted Owls only live in the old growth forests of northwest America, and have pretty much become dependent on this ecosystem and no other. Old growth forests are also the perfect forests for logging, so when Spotted Owl numbers plummeted due to this, a logging ban was placed in forests containing this species. This of course heavily impacted the logging industry, and many loggers were infuriated that they were going to lose their livelihood to an owl.

This issue isn't as heated as it used to be though. They now believe Spotted Owl numbers are dwindling due to Barred Owls invading their territory.

Tapir
Pup
Pup

Post by Tapir » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Ooh, I love owls. They're amazing animals and one of the most interesting birds out there. I don't know too much about owls, but I have an interest in them.
(Even though I don't know too much, Kivia's posts on this topic have educated me quite a bit. Thankss x3)

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:52 am

I'm just a crazy owl lady is all. ='D

Anyone live in the northern US? Snowy Owls are starting to migrate south from Canada for the winter- I don't know if there will be an irruption like last year, but definitely keep an eye out if you live up there~
Here's a map of recent sightings:

bit.ly/WNdcUD

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm

• I initially noticed how the sightings seem to be clustered around the Canadian-American border. For some reason, I envisioned Snowy Owls to live farther north than this map shows. Then I changed the setting to all year round, and my question was immediately quelled^^!

Really cool map there Kivia. Apparently there has been a handful of Snowy Owl sightings in my hometown in Southern ON. Only a 2-10% chance though, and none at this time of year.

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:09 pm

That's an awesome map Kivia! I noticed one in south georgia.. XD Which is really cool.

The only wild owl I've seen is called a Pueo, which lives in Hawaii. But I've not seen any here in Florida yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueo

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I really like the Snowy Owl, I think they are gorgeous. I especially like their big eyes.
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

RedRaptor96
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by RedRaptor96 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 pm

i have seen a Barred owl at or house twice
I long for a worthy opponent

-NightHunter-
Pup
Pup

Post by -NightHunter- » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I've been seeing a Barred owl a couple of miles from my house the past two weeks. He's been sitting on the telephone wire late in the day (5:00-ish, I think). I got some cool pictures of him with my iPad the first time I saw him XD.

Just a random person who draws stuff!
dA Account: http://duskywolf-ii.deviantart.com/

Silverfang88
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverfang88 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:04 pm

I love owls almost as much as i love wolves. My favorite owls are great Horned owls and snowy owls. I've seen the movie legend of the guardians and read the guardians of ga'hoole books. Has anyone read the book there's an owl in the shower? I also study owls a lot. Did you know that an owl can never move there eyes, as they are transfixed in there head but they can turn there heads to a 180 degrees. There plumals on an owl a low it to fly silently without making a sound? Owls are extraordinary animals. I also see owls a lot in my yard :)
No longer active Might check in every few months

Scourge3308
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Scourge3308 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

My favorite owl is the barn owl. :) also i seen the the movie you were talking about and i am a fan of it in real life!