favorite bugs or insects

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

dragondust
Pup
Pup

Re: favorite bugs or insects

Post by dragondust » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:06 pm

SaritaWolf wrote:I think Bumblebees are solitary. So they don't have hives. Don't quote me on this though, insects aren't my specialty.

So, yeah... I'm pretty careful around bees, even Bumblebees. Being a child raised in the outdoors I've had my fair share of stings. >.< But I don't think I've ever been stung by a Bumblebee... they can't risk it. Their stingers are barbed, and so when they sting the stinger gets stuck in the skin and could actually pull out of the bee... causing it to die. :'[

However wasps have smooth stingers so they can sting over and over again. Which is not fun. Me and my best friend (and her brother) once accidentally stepped on an underground Yellow Jacket's nest and were promptly swarmed and attacked. They just latch on and sting over and over again. Like I said, it is NOT FUN. :[

But maybe that's off topic. :/ To get back on topic, my experience with wasps has not and will not affect my love for Bumblebees. They are still my favorite clumsy little balls of fluff. <3
Ya I think we are kinda going off topic. Back to topic.
I have long since stopped coming to these forums or playing wolfquest. If you've seen anybody using this account since maybe around September 2011, it is not actually me. Thank you.

April

Post by April » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 pm

I don't think were going off topic. We are talking about insects after all. XD

I didn't know that bumble bees don't die after they sting, I always heard it from that but this one website says otherwise.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

SaritaWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SaritaWolf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 pm

April, does that info have to do with all Bumblebee species? And thanks for the excerpt, I learned a lot. :D
April wrote: Don't wave your arms wildly in their presence, stand quietly and once they smell you are not a flower with pollen they will move gently away.
Bumble bees do not lose their sting and die if they use it, as a honey bee will.
lol, oops. I waved my arms wildly at a bumblebee once. It just floated there and stared at me. Then it flew away. :/

Good to know they don't lose their stinger. Well... not good I guess, depending on how much you like them. XD

Is their any way to turn this into an insect discussion topic? :3 If not YES I'm still off topic. I'm sorry. I'll stop. >.<
Every time
The rain comes down,
Close my eyes and listen.
I can hear the lonesome sound
Of the sky as it cries...

Avvie Shop: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47907

dragondust
Pup
Pup

Post by dragondust » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:13 pm

April wrote:Hmm, this one website says they live underground (at least that's where there nest is) and they will sting to defend it so your right there. They do make honey, but it's not edible to humans.

Because they live in small nests bumble bees never swarm - so you can encourage a nest or two in the garden without fear of this happening.
Bumble bees do not produce enough honey for commercial use, just a few grams at a time to feed their young
Not all bumble bees have a sting. Drones (smaller male bees that hatch in mid summer ) have no sting at all.
A bumble bees biggest enemy by far is a man armed with a pesticide spray. Like every other form of wildlife they are under serious threat from the chemicals we pour on the land.
Bumble bees are much less aggressive than honey bees. Generally they will not attack a human at all, unless their life is under threat. Don't wave your arms wildly in their presence, stand quietly and once they smell you are not a flower with pollen they will move gently away.
Bumble bees do not lose their sting and die if they use it, as a honey bee will.

Encourage the bumble bee in your garden or farm and she will repay your kindness by pollinating your flowers, fruit and vegetables and giving you an excellent set on your blossom.
DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
When the drones hatch on mid Summer (see the section on life cycle) the sudden increase in bee numbers frightens people who are nervous about insects. But remember these drone bees have no sting and they won't swarm.

What to do if you find a Nest

Try not to disturb it. If its in an awkward place try to put up with it for a few weeks. Remember it will die out with the first frosts and can then be safely removed .

If you want to help the bees let the lawn grow a little longer and cut it a little higher so the clover remains to feed the bees with nectar.

One tip - should the bees be nesting under a wooden building they often seem to exit on the most inconvenient space. Open another exit, perhaps on another side of the shed and leave it for a few days for the bees to find. Then block up the old exit. Removing a nest to a temporary cardboard hive, closing it at dusk for removal and relocation to a new site is sometimes possible. But you need an experienced bee-keeper with protective clothing and veil to do this delicate job.
Finally in 1995 we relocated 10 nests to our quarter acre garden and no one was ever stung there. Watching them was a great pleasure.

The Life Cycle of the Bumble Bee.
Every Autumn as the first frosts begin the mated young queens seek out a place to hibernate in safety. If you come across a live but sleepy bee in a pile of leaves in Winter don't damage it. Its not dying, just in a deep cold sleep like a hedgehog. Put it back where you found it and cover it gently against the cold.

In the first warm days of Spring you may see the large queens flying busily about the early bulbs and flowers. These large slow bees are searching for nectar and pollen to turn into honey and food for their newly hatching brood. So the organic gardener plants lots of pollen producing flowers and leaves an unmown patch of early dandelions in the wild garden or hedgerow to feed the young queens.

The queen will locate a suitable place to build her nest. There are over 200 types of bumble bee and they look for a variety of sites. Most common are the leaf litter in a hedge bottom, an old mouse hole, a cool dark place under a large stone or under the wooden floor of a garden shed or other building. Because the bumble bee does not live in a large colony the nest is usually little bigger than half a grapefruit even in the busiest days of high Summer.

The queen begins a new nest with a ball of pollen and wax into which she lays just a few (approx 6 ) eggs at a time. When the eggs hatch they try to eat their way through the pollen reserve but the queen continually adds to the pollen and wax sealing them in. Eventually the grubs pupate and the queen spins a bright yellow cocoon of the finest silk from which the grubs emerge a few days later as fully grown worker bees.

As soon as they dry their wings the worker bees begin work to support the colony and their queen. She continues to lay eggs but as it takes more and more of her time the pollen and nectar collection is delegated to the workers, the queen spending her whole time in the nest.

This co-operation continues throughout the high days of late Spring and Summer until the nest has reached the right size for its species. At that point the queen lays eggs destined to become next years queen bees as well as drones or male bees. The drones once hatched leave the nest and live independent lives, their only purpose being to mate with the young queens to ensure the survival of the species. Unlike honey bees the young bumble queens will continue to live and work in the mother colony for the remainder of the Summer and Autumn.

Come the first sharp drop in temperature and frosts the old queen, her workers and the independent drones will die. Only the newly mated queens will survive in hibernation to begin the cycle again the following Spring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources of Information and Further Reading.
When preparing this web page the main source of information and illustrations was " The Humble Bee " by F.W.L.Sladen , reprinted by the Logaston Press in 1989. ISBN 0 9510242 3 X.

Every effort has been made to trace the publishers and Professor John Free , whose cover photograph of a bee on clover appears on this page, but we have in all cases been unsuccessful. We acknowledge a debt of gratitude to these sources and would especially recommend anyone seeking further information to the above book or any of Professor John Free's own publications and research into the life of the Bumble Bee.
ty for the information :).

Edit: I dont think so SaritaWolf but I can make a insect discussion topic :D.
I have long since stopped coming to these forums or playing wolfquest. If you've seen anybody using this account since maybe around September 2011, it is not actually me. Thank you.

SaritaWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SaritaWolf » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:58 pm

dragondust wrote: Edit: I dont think so SaritaWolf but I can make a insect discussion topic :D.
SWEET. *heads over there*
Every time
The rain comes down,
Close my eyes and listen.
I can hear the lonesome sound
Of the sky as it cries...

Avvie Shop: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47907

Feelah
Pup
Pup

Post by Feelah » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm

I really like mantisflies, dragon flies and hornets. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie.

And with strange aeons even death may die

Pack member of The Silver Ice Pack