What wildlife have you seen recently?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: What wildlife have you seen recently?

Post by alethe » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:19 pm

mississippi kites are back!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Recently I've been seeing a lot of cottontail rabbits in my area - it seems like they've had a huge population boom this year. I've also been seeing a lot of deer, especially along roadsides and in open fields. I even managed to get some video footage of two deer in my front yard, and have seen those same two deer in the open hayfields around my house many times. I haven't seen as many woodchucks this year as I have in previous years, but I've been seeing lots of other little critters - like opossums, raccoons, chipmunks, and even a red fox (I had not seen a fox here in quite a while). I even saw a Ruffed Grouse in the woods behind my house earlier this summer, which is something I had never seen around here before. It seems like a lot of wildlife populations around here have been quickly rebounding recently.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:05 pm

I've seen a lot of rabbits here as well, and there's also been a lot of birds, especially cardinals and catbirds. I also saw a giant toad the other day when we were walking my dog Tater in the evening, and we've seen some little tree frogs here as well. My dog Wil was very intrigued by the tree frogs, lol
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

rowantobias
Name: Rowan

Post by rowantobias » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:14 am

quite a few deer (there's two does running around, and one has one fawn and the other has two!), but also apparently a bear is in my neighborhood!
⍋°⍋ the night wore on. the forest remained as still as stone. ⍋°⍋
⚘⑇⚘⑇ ( they / he | discord mod ) ⑇⚘⑇⚘

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:16 pm

I get lucky with my job, but most recent was a Map Turtle!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

jim365
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by jim365 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:22 am

About a week ago I and my friends went to the forest to rest a little and saw a deer.

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:01 am

I saw a snapping turtle near work recently that was blocking the road. He refused to budge whatsoever. Animal control said that his natural habitat wasn't near where I worked either, so they had zero idea how he ended up there haha.

I've also seen a family of geese walking around with their goslings recently. Very cute.

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA CLOSE THE DOOR
TO OPEN A WINDOW

aliasless
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by aliasless » Mon May 08, 2023 11:00 pm

A couple of days ago I spotted a bobcat in my back yard, I went hiking that same day I found a juvenile western pond turtle and a southern pacific rattlesnake. The turkey vultures seem to be out in full force now, too!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat May 20, 2023 2:15 pm

So far this spring, I've seen White-tailed Deer, Cottontail Rabbits, Groundhogs, Canada Geese, Squirrels, a Wild Turkey, Mourning Doves, Vultures, and Red Tailed Hawks. I haven't seen many predators, although I've found Fox and Raccoon tracks in the woods behind my house. Having so many wildlife encounters makes me so glad to live in a rural area, there's so much wildlife to be seen throughout the year!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue May 30, 2023 12:42 pm

I've been seeing a lot of birds around both my college campus and at home. I love crows, so it's always pretty cool seeing those around, and I've also seen an abnormally large amount of cardinals. There's been some grackles too, which I don't think I've seen this many of before around here?

My college is in a semi-urban area but has a lot of green space, and my home is in a suburban area that's right between the country and a metro area. In a few years when I'm older, I might be moving to an area a bit more in the country since the internship I want to do is at a wildlife center over there. It's ideal for me anyway, because the current areas I'm in are the most "peopley" and stuff that I can deal with, lol. I am not a city guy at all and I like the country and the suburbs. Smaller urban areas I can sometimes deal with, but I wouldn't want to actually live there and work there, yknow? I need my peace and quiet and some proper green space.

My mom and stepdad have a house a little bit more in the country than my dad's house, so they get a lot of wildlife over there like deer, sometimes coyotes, and various turtles and tortoises.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

jordanjackknife
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: jordan jackknife :3

Post by jordanjackknife » Tue May 30, 2023 1:44 pm

i have a lot of bunnies that live in my backyard and front yard, so i see a lot of those silly little fuzzballs from time to time. i also recently saved a bird, so that was cool! ^-^ :pawprint:

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:37 pm

Many frogs and toads! :frog: :frog: :frog:

EDIT: Forgot how unintentionally hilarious the frog icon is
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur

NotaNvmbr
Pup
Pup
Name: NaN, Stripe

Post by NotaNvmbr » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:17 pm

I went somewhere and saw two black-crowned night herons. I thought the first one was fake 'cause it was completely still, but it moved its head. I think it was trying to ambush prey.

I never saw them before, so that's cool

"/ɪn ðɪs faɪ.ɚ/"
(they/it, av+sig by me)

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:12 pm

Herd-Runners wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:17 pm
I went somewhere and saw two black-crowned night herons. I thought the first one was fake 'cause it was completely still, but it moved its head. I think it was trying to ambush prey.

I never saw them before, so that's cool
I just Googled that bird as I didn't know what it was. They look very different from the North American herons. I saw a great blue heron myself on Monday during a pond salvage. They were also waiting for some fish!
DaniBeez
___Avatar by Sambhur