What wildlife have you seen recently?

Talk about nature and wildlife you've seen or read about. Discuss specific plants, animals, natural places and wildlife in general, or follow the instructions in the Nature Photography subforum to submit your own photographs.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Redwalker

Re: What wildlife have you seen recently?

Post by Redwalker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 am

There have been a surplus of rabbits in my area lately, but I have yet to find a creature that would need to hunt them... We'll see.
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 am

Today I saw a crab and some deer. Yesterday I finally saw another mongoose and a few wild donkeys.

-NightHunter-
Pup
Pup

Post by -NightHunter- » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:14 pm

I've been seeing several deer, many of which are fawns. I've also been seeing quite a few cottontail rabbits lately.

Just a random person who draws stuff!
dA Account: http://duskywolf-ii.deviantart.com/

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 am

Last night at 4:00 AM I discovered that there are two or three barred owls hanging out in the area. They were awesome, and very much worth the loss of sleep. And loud. We also had a raccoon here, I see rabbits all the time, and a couple hawks now and then too.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:27 am

I went out for a walk the other day into my local park to go birding. Nothing too abnormal. Saw a belted kingfisher, downy woodpecker, white-breasted nuthatch, and a red-tailed hawk. I also saw lots of Canada geese and starlings haha.

SingingWithSirens

Post by SingingWithSirens » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:59 pm

A squirrel. I saw a brown squirrel in my driveway. Interesting... yes.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:00 pm

Seen so much since I moved down here, especially birds. My favorite. Just today, I saw a flovk of White Ibises, a cormorant, several ducks, a Roseated Spoonbill, flocks of Quakers and Nanday Conures, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Great Blue Herons, a Little Blue Heron, Laughing Gulls, Black Skimmers, some terns, Brown Pelicans, and the osprey pair that's been building a nest on top of our Molecular Science building. I hear their calls everyday.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

You're in Florida, right? Man Florida is just a paradise for all kinds of birds. And the ospreys are already back where you are! They should be back from migration up here soon, I can't wait.

Haven't been out much lately cause I've been sick, but I did see a pileated woodpecker walking to my car. That was cool. They are so much larger than they appear.

Also squirrels keep popping out of garbage cans when I walk by them. It's a little frightening when you aren't expecting it.

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: mary

Post by twinlinskis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:02 pm

while walking to class, i was graced with the presence of some canadian geese and a few select ducks who barred my path. they're pretty used to getting scraps from people, so they just stared up at me and honked until i forfeited a piece of my biscuit to them (to which the bullies -- aka, geese -- gobbled up). i'm aware of the issue of bread + ducks/geese = fat, but i just... it just happened. it's a bit messed up that the bread was also coupled with chicken, so they have their cousin's grease juices in their system as well. lovely.

on a more serious note, my dad recently shot and killed a rather large rat snake that was tangled up in the bird netting of our tiny pond out back. he was likely the one that was going after our goldfish, so my dad wasn't ashamed of putting him down. plus, he was tangled up pretty good and my dad wasn't going to risk getting bitten in order to save him.

also! our flock of martins are settling nicely. they've already built nests and i'm sure they'll lay their eggs soon. my dad will probably do nest checks in the near future, so hopefully i can take some pictures of the little eggs. i wish i could take some of the adults, but they're so hard to capture since they never stay in one place for long
............ ............
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon May 09, 2016 1:11 pm

I was on the computer in my bed not long ago and WHAM. Something flies into my window screen behind me. I raised my blinds and see two mourning doves just chilling outside my window. They were fine and flew off after about a minute, but still it scared me.

I don't even have to leave my room anymore to see wildlife. They come to me.

LakotaTheOmega
Pup
Pup

Post by LakotaTheOmega » Tue May 10, 2016 2:08 am

Somehow a fox managed to enter my school today before school. It was bleeding (not sure why). The teachers managed to remove it before recess after trapping it in a circle of bins.
M07PgE43Kk41NSRLI0cqQUo1JTVKWio3DQoNC

kIzR09OQCM3KiNPWSo3WSpaKjVKPc+AKk9A

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by twinlinskis » Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am

this morning i caught three rabbits eating our garden vegetables and promptly shooed them away before they could destroy more of our crops. we also have a resident armadillo that likes to waddle into our front yard to eat whatever it is that armadillos eat, so i saw him when i went to go put the mail in the mailbox. :')
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

wolflove303
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolflove303 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:54 pm

I live right near a conservation area so deer have literally come right up to my house and have ate my plants. I also quite a few falcons and hawks, and so many turkey vultures. I also go camping and have seen moose, a beaver and a family of otters.

twinlinskis
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by twinlinskis » Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 am

on the rare occasion that i willingly wake up early in the mornings, i have the privilege of viewing a group of timid deer-folk taking a drink from the pond beyond my backyard and nibbling on the grasses near the pavillion. they were across the way, since my house isn't situated right next to the woods (the woods are beyond the pond from my house), but my dad always keeps like a million binoculars around the house so i got to see them through those c: i also saw a few when i was driving home last night from jacob's house; they were in the middle of the road so i had no choice but to stop for them so they could scamper off lol.
Tʜ ɴɪɢʜ ɪs ʟɴɢ
Aɴ ʜ ʜ ɪs ʀ.
L ʜ sʏ
Fʀ ɴ ʏ sɴ
Tʜ ɴ ɪʟʟ .
sig © twinlinskis

Dragonlance
Pup
Pup

Post by Dragonlance » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 pm

I have seen a lion recently while driving to my grandmother's house.