First Recorded Bison Kill!

Post the links to your favorite WolfQuest screenshots and videos here.

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

First Recorded Bison Kill!

Post by Dinoman9877 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 pm

To the best of my knowledge, I am the first person to have killed a bison in Anniversary Edition!

At the very least, I'm the first person to have posted proof of it. :D

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: First Recorded Bison Kill!

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:44 pm

Congratulations! :)
How did you get the newest update? It isn't showing up for me.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:38 am

@GoldenBeauty I Believe they are playing the public beta (v1.0.4) available on Steam for pc.
So if you are not playing on steam, or you are using a Mac, I don’t think it is available.
But I’m pretty sure the devs are going to have Mac beta testing. Also, if you bought the game on itch.io, then you get a free steam key!
That's a bit odd, don't you think?

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm

I already saw this video on YouTube a while ago, but the tactics you used to kill the bison still fascinate me. I guess that this shows that it is possible to kill a Bison with just you and your mate, but it definitely takes a lot of luck, good techniques, and patience to kill them. I'm sure that the amount of food that you got from the kill was worth it though! I want to try to kill a Bison too now, though it may take a few tries to do it without dying in the process :) .

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

Post by Dinoman9877 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:26 am

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:28 pm
I already saw this video on YouTube a while ago, but the tactics you used to kill the bison still fascinate me. I guess that this shows that it is possible to kill a Bison with just you and your mate, but it definitely takes a lot of luck, good techniques, and patience to kill them. I'm sure that the amount of food that you got from the kill was worth it though! I want to try to kill a Bison too now, though it may take a few tries to do it without dying in the process :) .
TBH this relied on a glitch. You notice how every time the bison stops running I grab it and let go? That's because their AI prioritized an 'escaping sprint' that was added with the beta update. This was necessary due to the fact that the bison do less damage while running than when stood still.

The patch from last night seems to have fixed this though, so now the bison will stand their ground as normal...thus making it almost impossible to do now because they'll do more damage to you than you will to them.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:33 pm

Dinoman9877 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:26 am

TBH this relied on a glitch. You notice how every time the bison stops running I grab it and let go? That's because their AI prioritized an 'escaping sprint' that was added with the beta update. This was necessary due to the fact that the bison do less damage while running than when stood still.

The patch from last night seems to have fixed this though, so now the bison will stand their ground as normal...thus making it almost impossible to do now because they'll do more damage to you than you will to them.
Hmm. I did notice that the bison fleeing immediately in the video seemed a little bit odd, I did not realize that it was a glitch though. I guess I thought it was just intentional at the time so I didn't think much of it.

I unfortunately did not manage to give it a try and kill a bison prior to last night's patch, I was busy with other things and didn't have time to play much in the public beta before that patch rolled out and (presumably) made it impossible to kill them. It's kind of a shame because I was planning on giving it a try and didn't expect it to be patched anytime soon, but I suppose that I was wrong there. But I guess it's more realistic now anyway since realistically a Bison wouldn't just run from a single wolf or a pair of wolves after being bitten just once or twice.

It's still kind of a shame though, I had made a new wolf in the beta with the intention of killing a bison as him, and was hoping to do that at some point. But since I obviously missed the chance to try it while it was still possible and while the update was still in beta, I guess that I'll just have to wait to try it until multiplayer is released (which will hopefully not take too long). I guess it's for the better though, as there's probably no real way that a couple of wolves could realistically take down an adult bison on their own, no matter how old or weak it is. I think that it could still potentially be possible to kill one in singleplayer now if you manage to find a really weak bison and get really lucky, but I assume that the probability of that happening is quite low, so it's probably not worth trying at this point because you'll most likely just die anyway.

I guess that on the bright side this just gives us all another reason to be excited for multiplayer though. Trying to take down a bison in multiplayer will probably be a lot more exciting now if you cannot just do it in singleplayer. I'm sure that we'll see a lot of multiplayer servers that will be dedicated to trying to hunt bison. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Return to “WolfQuest Screenshots & Videos”