February 2016 Theme: Canines (CLOSED)

Submit your own photographs of nature & wildlife by following the instructions in the stickied topics in this forum.

Moderator: Isela

Forum rules
This forum is for original photographs only. If you submit a photograph that is not yours, you may receive a warning or be banned from the forums. Read the Rules for Nature & Wildlife Photography, then follow the instructions in that topic to have your photo(s) reviewed and posted.
Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

February 2016 Theme: Canines (CLOSED)

Post by Sambhur » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Welcome to the first new theme since the last ones were put on hold! From now on, themes will be different to how they were in the past. Themes are now relaxed mini-contests that I hope you will have fun participating in and commenting on! I'm starting this one a bit early because... why not, February is a short month.

WINNER:
shadowwolf2234 with #1

This month's theme:
FEB 2016
“CANINES”
Our first new theme is canines! Photos of any canine are allowed EXCEPT for domestic dogs, as pets are not accepted.

Rules
  • A maximum of TWO photos may be submitted per user per theme.
  • Photos, of course, must be clearly relevant to the theme.
    If they are not relevant, they will not be listed under "The Entries" and therefore will not be in the running to win. If you attempted to submit a photo and it was not accepted, you are free to attempt to submit another in its place until you have the maximum of two accepted entries in this theme.
  • Photos submitted to previous themes may not be resubmitted to future ones.
    Show us something new!
  • Only post photos taken by you and no one else.
    If we discover that you submitted a photograph that was not your own, you may be warned, or, in repeat cases, permanently banned from WolfQuest.
  • Resize your photos so that they don't stretch the page.
    Recommended max width of up to 800 pixels, with absolute max width of 1000 pixels. If your photo is too big you will be asked to resize it before attempting to submit it again.
  • Photos can be cropped, resized, brightened, and sharpened, but should not otherwise be changed/manipulated.
    However, adding your own watermark to your photos is of course, fine!
  • Photos should only include wild animals and/or natural habitats/scenery.
    However, photos of wild animal species in captive environments such as reserves, zoos, or laboratory specimens are also acceptable. No pets or excess gore please!
  • The submission period will last from the 1st of the month to the 23rd.
    After that, the voting period will begin and will go until the end of the month, with the winner being announced on the final day.
  • Voting will be open to the public on the thread.
    Each member may give out 1 vote (if there are less than 10 entries) or 2 votes (if there are more than 10), and cannot change their vote once it is placed.
    All photos will be displayed on this first post, so it doesn’t matter if you can only post yours as links when entering.
The Prize
The winner of each month will receive a special user rank below their username on the forums to highlight their achievement: “(it's gonna be a surprise for now)”. This rank will last for a month until the next winner is announced. As well, the paw prints below their username will change to a different colour (also a surprise for now).

The Entries
Enter by posting a link to your photo/s in this thread. Titles and notes/descriptions are optional.

1. Image by shadowwolf2234
“Picture of a red wolf I took last January at a zoo by my college, lighting was tricky so I had to use a higher ISO, and shooting in a zoo always makes it hard to get a good backdrop, but it's pretty much the only shot of a canine I have!

Shot on a Canon 7D with a 100-400 f/4-5.6 IS USM L”

2. [photo] “Optional Title” by Username
“Optional description/note”

Kivia

Re: February 2016 Theme: Canines (ACCEPTING ENTRIES)

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

Oooo, a rather interesting theme. Well I'll have to see if I come upon any foxes or if I have any old photos of canids. I'm interested to see what other people have. =D

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Spoiler
Show
Picture of a red wolf I took last January at a zoo by my college, lighting was tricky so I had to use a higher ISO, and shooting in a zoo always makes it hard to get a good backdrop, but it's pretty much the only shot of a canine I have!

Shot on a Canon 7D with a 100-400 f/4-5.6 IS USM L

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:11 am

That's a lovely shot, shadowwolf2234! I really appreciate you entering! I've added your entry up there. (:

I've been looking through my own photos trying to choose what to enter. It's difficult to decide since I don't have a stand-out favourite canine photo. I'll get there eventually hah.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:15 am

Lovely idea, I'll have a look through my canine photos.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks Sambhur! And no worries, I'm glad this part of the forum is getting some attention

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:18 am

Wow, very nice photo shadowwolf! I'm in love with that detail and lighting- like you said, it can be pretty difficult to pull off a good background in a zoo, but I think you definitely pulled it off. =D
Thanks for starting this off strong, can't wait to hopefully see more photos from people!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Last day to enter!

Edit: Well then guess who won by default. :') Congrats shadowwolf2234! That was a very lovely photo regardless of how you won, hahah.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: February 2016 Theme: Canines (CLOSED)

Post by Koa » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Lovely photo, shadow! Congratulations.

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Well I appreciate it! Not how I wanted to win haha, hopefully this sub-forum will get more popular because it's a great part of the forum

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:25 pm

If I had more access to wild canids, I totally would have joined in haha. But hey, I still think you're photograph was fantastic! I'm glad that you still shared it, regardless if no one else was able to join in this round. Congrats =D