Nature & Wildlife Photography General Discussion

Submit your own photographs of nature & wildlife by following the instructions in the stickied topics in this forum.

Moderator: Isela

Forum rules
This forum is for original photographs only. If you submit a photograph that is not yours, you may receive a warning or be banned from the forums. Read the Rules for Nature & Wildlife Photography, then follow the instructions in that topic to have your photo(s) reviewed and posted.
Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Nature & Wildlife Photography General Discussion

Post by Rikkuzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:58 am

Welcome to the Nature & Wildlife Photography General Discussion thread!

What is Allowed to Be Shared and/or Discussed Here:
  • • Your favorite nature & wildlife photos or photographers
    • Favorite photography equipment/camera to use
    • Photography tips
    • Post your personal Nature & Wildlife photos that may not pertain to our Nature & Wildlife Monthly Theme threads
Remember the Forum Guidelines still apply. ;) Enjoy, photography enthusiasts!
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Nature & Wildlife Photography General Discussion

Post by Sambhur » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 am

May as well post here and try to get this topic going. :D

I quite like photography in general, whether it's me taking the photos or other, much better photographers. At the moment, all I use for my photography is my Lumix DMC-TZ20. It's a good camera that cost me around $500, although lately I've started wanting some type of SLR camera that I can use when I want to do some more 'serious' photography, if I can say that. :L I'm a bit jealous of my uncle because he's got a pretty good SLR, one that he bought quite cheap.

One of my favourite nature & wildlife photographers on deviantART would have to be *Khevyel (http://khevyel.deviantart.com/). She takes amazing photos, here is one of my favourites: http://fav.me/d5dg5vn. The only other photographer I can seem to remember/think of at the moment is http://ivanandreevich.deviantart.com/. His photos are absolutely beautiful. (:

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 pm

At the moment, I don't have a specific photographer I like -- although I have a lot of respect for my father, who really got me into photography. He's taught me A LOT over the years, and nature and wildlife photography were always enjoyable with him. I'm certainly no pro, but it's sooo much fun!

I have two cameras I use -- my "everyday" camera, which is an old Canon Powershot s3 IS and my new baby, a Canon EOS Rebel T4i.

On a side note, does anyone here use Bing as their search engine? Sometimes they have the most wonderful nature or wildlife photos on their homepage!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

Earlier in the evening my mother was looking at some cameras on the internet, and we might just end up buying an SLR of a sort, most likely one of the Canon cameras she showed me. I'm a little excited for that, even though we haven't entirely decided if we're actually going to buy one or not just yet. ^^

I don't use Bing, but that's quite interesting. o: I might have to look into that sometime soon.

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 am

This picture was posted on Bing a few days ago (right before Halloween). It's of an arctic fox cub --- I love how he looks like he's smiling!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-x_IK1zCWV9E/U ... 121030.jpg
(© Belinda Images/SuperStock)

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 am

Aw, that's so cute <3 Thanks for sharing that one, I also don't use Bing.

I unfortunately also miss out on taking my own pictures :/ I don't actually have anything to take pictures with. My mom has been wanting a camera for Christmas, so she might get a fancy new one and I can steal use her old one if I manage to find it XD
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:02 am

Today's Bing photo is a wonderful shot of some raccoon butterfly fish. Unfortunately, I cannot obtain the link to the actual image -- you'd have to go to http://www.bing.com today to check it out.

While I enjoy looking at the photos, I've never been a real fan of underwater photography. What I mean by that is, me taking the photos. I'm just not much of a beach-go'er...despite living in Florida for 24 years. Ha ha ha. I've done some scuba diving in the past, but never really got into underwater photography.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 am

Photography... I must discuss! !
I've always loved photography, and even though I'm no pro at it, I must admit to taking some shots that I can be proud of. It's just something that is enjoyable and fun to do. ^^ I'm afraid I don't have any big fancy camera, and although my camera takes decent shots compared to a lot of other cameras, it's one of those everyday pocket ones. I'd love to save up for an expensive and more professional one, but there are so many out there that I'm stumped on what to get.. any suggestions?

Just had a look at Bing. It's a search engine on one of my computers, which I don't use that often, but I did hear somewhere that they had neat nature photos. Just as you mentioned Rikku. ^^ Wow! Some are breathtaking!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Rikkuzilla

Post by Rikkuzilla » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am

I like some of the animated photos on that site -- when they have them. There was one that had this raccoon coming out of a tree stump. It was so cute! He'd pop is head in and out of the stump. Ah, I'm easily amused.

I'm still an amateur photographer and really don't want to pursue it more than as just a hobby. I've won a couple small photo contests in the past, but it's not something I really get all "hardcore" into. Not to mention you need to have patience...something I often lack when I'm taking pictures.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Rikkuzilla wrote: I have two cameras I use -- my "everyday" camera, which is an old Canon Powershot s3 IS and my new baby, a Canon EOS Rebel T4i.

How did I miss this post? Haha ~
I just got my new camera. The Canon EOS Rebel T3i. It was cheaper than the newer t4i and was on sale.. so went with the step down version. After doing some research though, there weren't too many huge noticeable differences other than the touch screen. :P

Love it so far! And all I've been doing recently is taking pictures of all the great winter and snow shots around here right now! Not to mention we just got another dump of snow so now all the trees have that snowy layer. ^^
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

MGandalf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Maria

Post by MGandalf » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Make photographs of plants, flowers etc is very simple, but making pictures of animals I already tried but I got only a lawful, was my dog​​.
I'll give some tips on how to make pictures of animals, is only read and follow the hints,
is simple (but nothing much):
  • see the best angle
  • choose a time when the animal is stopped
  • do not let the animal in any way you see
If you want to make a photo of the animal in motion is not easy that can not be right but follow these other tips:
  • for example if the animal is running to move the arm to the direction that the animal runs.
  • sometimes do I do this carefully with a running horse and went with the same speed and it escaped my camera and "poof" on the ground.
I have helped :wink: !
By Dennol

My Artworks Shop
My DeviantART

•°•°•°•∞|•·×±×·•|∞•°•°•°•
Maybe it was all in my mind,
But why should that mean
It is not real?
•°•°•°•∞|•·×±×·•|∞•°•°•°•
Sig × Black Burn
──────────────────
FIRE VALLEY PACK
ʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ - ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇɴ
ᴀ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢ ᴘᴀᴄᴋ ᴡᴇ'ᴠᴇ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ʙᴇᴇɴ
──────────────────
,---------------,
| Coca-Cola |,,|"""\,__,
| _________ |,,||_|_ ||)
/(@)(@)**/(@)***/(@)

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

I am a young photographer (its actually a thing where I live :D)
I have many images stored on my computer and may out some up later on if you want to see a few. I have a couple tips (some may have been mentioned already.

First off - Stationary Animals
  • -Approach the animal quietly, not making sudden movements and/or loud noises.
    -Look at the animals position, then choose the angle which shows their body and face in the best proportion and shape
    -Get your camera/phone focused on the animals head mainly Make sure the body is also in focus
    -Take more than one, at least three to insure you have at least one good photo to take away with you
    -If you're not sure about the angle take many from different angles and compare later.
Secondly - Moving Animals
  • -For a walking animal, get slightly diagonal from the head
    -Give yourself a long stretch in front of the animal, to make sure the camera has time to focus
    -Make sure its in great focus
    -Take a lot of photos, this is some of the hardest photography.
I use a large camera for my photography course and a small Nikon for normal, depending on your skill level you need a different kind of camera. Mine is not a amazing one but I make up for it with my technique and get just as good pictures as any one else on a high quality camera. If you are a beginner I'd say a medium quality camera would do best.
Now for landscapes.

• -Find an angle
    -Take many photos
    -Fine a main focal point The point you want to stand out to everyone and make sure its well focused on this
    -See if you want a photo from up high or down low
    -What do you want as a background? Do you want any specific elements? Then if you do make sure you find the angle and things you want
Hope this helps everyone and that's about it for now. If you want to see some photography, PM me and I'll show you some examples

All my images are edited to add a watermark, none have filters or fancy things unless their purpose was for photo edits and collages.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:18 pm

I need to get back into photography wehlp
it just got boring for me because i have nothing interesting to photograph where i live

I want to do hdr mostly

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:20 pm

I even do photography on my phone of my dogs on walks, that's a good way to get started. Or even land scapes on walks you could try?
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
There's so much punishment, so little time.
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:21 pm

im..
Not a beginner ?? I dont know where you got that but

ARE YOU A JEDI ?