April 2012 Theme: Backyard Birds

Submit your own photographs of nature & wildlife by following the instructions in the stickied topics in this forum.

Moderator: Isela

Forum rules
This forum is for original photographs only. If you submit a photograph that is not yours, you may receive a warning or be banned from the forums. Read the Rules for Nature & Wildlife Photography, then follow the instructions in that topic to have your photo(s) reviewed and posted.
Steeps

Re: April 2012 Theme: Backyard Birds

Post by Steeps » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Wow, you have some very colorful specimens in Austria ForgottenDreams! I live in southeastern Canada, where most of the birds I see are of more dull colorations (browns, grays and blacks), no doubt to match the rather drab backdrop that exists for most of the year here. The only time I see birds like those in your photo are in pet stores! There is much diversity in bird species.

And nice capture in your second entry lupin_blackwolf, its very dynamic! And the color scheme is nice on the eyes as well.

Oh wow, Kivia posted an owl photograph :lol: ! I don't see many owls at all, but I hear them occasionally in the forest behind my house.

ForgottenDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by ForgottenDreams » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks Steeps - although I actually live in Australia not Austria. c;
Moving accounts to Crupi. See you there.

Icon © Nightangelwolf

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:25 pm

ForgottenDreams wrote:Thanks Steeps - although I actually live in Australia not Austria. c;
... And so you do, after rechecking your post on the first page ^^'! Whoops, sorry about that ForgottenDreams!

With that in mind, I still wasn't aware that such tropical birds existed on the island of Australia, either!

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Hah, Over, Australia's full of birds, especially parrots and all that. I personally wouldn't be too surprised, but I guess that's because I already live here and don't really have another point of view. |D /pointless

Anyway, I just sent my photos in. c:

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Added your pictures up there for you Jewelz. ^^ I adore the kookaburra one, I love those birds. The other pictures are amazing as well, really nice job taking them!
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you for putting them up, flower! With another thanks for the compliments. .u.

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Jewelz wrote:Hah, Over, Australia's full of birds, especially parrots and all that. I personally wouldn't be too surprised, but I guess that's because I already live here and don't really have another point of view. |D /pointless

Anyway, I just sent my photos in. c:
And here I thought Australia was just some huge, dry desert island full of dingos, roos and thorny devils :P! I dunno; whenever I see images of birds like that, I always think that they must be from some tropical country, like Brazil. Silly old me I guess!

I like the last image Jewelz, that blue eye is fierce! Not to mention you guys have wierd trees :wink: . Look at the smooth bark, and how curvy the branches are!

Your description of your second submission gave me an idea for a photo I can submit Jewelz :wink: !

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Beautiful pictures, Jewelz! The intense color in the birds' eyes are quite capturing, and I love their unique appearance. Great photos!

Can't wait to see what others send in.
I myself, am working on finding a moment to photograph and send in. :3
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for the comments, you two! And that's great; I can't wait to see what you decide to send in. c:

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Wow, amazing photos, Jewelz! Again, these birds I can only see in zoos if I'm lucky- that's really cool that you've even hand-fed that kookaburra! =D

That's it, I need to visit Australia....

ForgottenDreams
Pup
Pup

Post by ForgottenDreams » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 am

Jewelz, the photos are stunning. Love the Kookaburra - they are beautiful birds. Have a strong beak though, so watch out! :L
Moving accounts to Crupi. See you there.

Icon © Nightangelwolf

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 am

Hah, thanks Kiv and Dreamer. c: And yeah, it's really amazing being able to get so close to a wild one and occasionally give it food. Surprisingly, this one takes the meat from my hand quite gently. :L

Katherine Vampire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Katherine Vampire » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:30 am

Amazing shots, all of you!
I love all the birds. <3

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Lovely picture Steeps! I've been to Vancouver before, but never Whistler. It looks like a great place to go visit, and of course the birds are stunning as well. c:
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Alpha Female! Wow, that didn't take long to post up at all. And sorry for the spelling mistakes in the description; I was trying to send in the email quickly before my walk with my mom and dog :P .

And for anyone who has been to Whislter Blackcomb, the image was taken at the base of the Harmony chairlift :) .