The only blue-eyed, heterochromatic wolf in the world?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

The only blue-eyed, heterochromatic wolf in the world?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:27 am

Hi, I randomly stumbled upon a photo of what appeared to be a wolf with different colored eyes, and a blue (or gray?) eye for that matter.

I believe the wolf is actually a wolfdog, but how far back is questionable. I am sure blue eyes are recessive so even if this is caused by a distant dog ancestor, it'd be unlikely. Of course, I could be wrong though. So is this legit?

Sources: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0824277597
https://www.ryantidman.com/Wildlife/
Photos:
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Re: The only blue-eyed, heterochromatic wolf in the world?

Post by DaniBeez » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:22 am

I'd say yes; legit/possible although uncommon. A beautiful capture by that photographer!

The eye may appear less vividly blue in real life; digital editing was probably done post-capture to create the final photo. To what extent editing influences the shown colors is impossible to say without comparison to the original image file.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 am

DaniBeez wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:22 am
I'd say yes; legit/possible although uncommon. A beautiful capture by that photographer!

The eye may appear less vividly blue in real life; digital editing was probably done post-capture to create the final photo. To what extent editing influences the shown colors is impossible to say without comparison to the original image file.
The eyes do appear genuinely blue as opposed to pale gray (this is coming from someone who has two blue-eyed dogs). At the very least, it could be evidence of heterochromia existing in wild wolves which would be a neat customization feature!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Yeah; makes you wonder how many other wild wolves exist out there with this condition that have eluded detection.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

beretaqua
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by beretaqua » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:21 am

The color of the eyes is more accurately described as blue than as a pale gray (this is coming from someone who has two blue-eyed dogs). It's possible that these wolves have heterochromia, which would allow them to have unique coat colors.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am

Can you tell me about the wolf with the multi-coloured eyes?

Heterochromia, the occurrence of two different coloured irises isn’t a trait that’s been known to wolves. I believe that this is actually the first known recording. It wasn’t until I downloaded my photos on my laptop that I noticed the unique eye colouration of one of these sea wolf pups. It’s easy for me to get lost in its eyes every time I review the photographs from this encounter.
via "An Interview with Ryan Tidman," https://pacificwild.org/photography-con ... an-tidman/

-Wolfdog- wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 am
DaniBeez wrote:

The eyes do appear genuinely blue as opposed to pale gray (this is coming from someone who has two blue-eyed dogs). At the very least, it could be evidence of heterochromia existing in wild wolves which would be a neat customization feature!
Adding heterochromia as a customization feature would make it seem more common than it is.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:26 am

Koa wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am
Can you tell me about the wolf with the multi-coloured eyes?

Heterochromia, the occurrence of two different coloured irises isn’t a trait that’s been known to wolves. I believe that this is actually the first known recording. It wasn’t until I downloaded my photos on my laptop that I noticed the unique eye colouration of one of these sea wolf pups. It’s easy for me to get lost in its eyes every time I review the photographs from this encounter.
via "An Interview with Ryan Tidman," https://pacificwild.org/photography-con ... an-tidman/

-Wolfdog- wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:18 am
DaniBeez wrote:

Adding heterochromia as a customization feature would make it seem more common than it is.

I can think of several customization features that aren't all that common, yet you see dozens of players running around with it like it happens everyday. Or beaver hunting, for instance, hasn't been observed Yellowstone wolves, "making it seem more common than it is." I think heterochromia would be a cool addition, maybe the eyes are only slightly different colors and would be unlocked after a certain number of achievements.

But I completely understand the apprehension when it comes to adding something as unusual as heterochromia in wolves, in a game that strives towards realism. However, this isn't the first time WolfQuest has stepped out of the boundaries of "absolute scientificness" and it is something that, in my humble opinion, should be considered or acknowledged!
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾