Subspecies of Wolves

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

LonerWhiteWolf
Pup
Pup

Subspecies of Wolves

Post by LonerWhiteWolf » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:36 pm

what are all the types of wolves in the world and how are humans related to wolves... "random"

no but seriously what are the types of all wolves, I'm just curious.
<.< expect the unexpected >.>

Don’t drink and drive, cause you might hit a bump and spill. C:
Ha.

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Re: Types

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 am

Other species of wolves are: Red wolf (Canis rufus) and the Ethiopian Wolf (Canis simensis)

Subspecies are a different story:
Arabian Wolf Canis lupus arabs Critically endangered, declining Southern Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman

A very small subspecies. Typically blended brown or completely brown with a thin coat. Hunted regularly as a nuisance animal, though rarely encountered.

Arctic Wolf Canis lupus arctos Stable Canadian Arctic, Greenland
An average-sized subspecies. Almost exclusively white or creamy

white with a thick coat. Hunted legally, though rarely encountered.

Caspian Sea Wolf Canis lupus cubanensis Endangered, declining Between the Caspian and Black seas
A smaller subspecies. Hunted as a nuisance animal.

Dingo Canis lupus dingo Vulnerable
(pure breed) Australia & southeast Asia
Hunted as a nuisance animal. Pure breed declining from interbreeding with the Domestic Dog.

Domestic Dog Canis lupus familiaris Stable Worldwide
Typically, a smaller subspecies, with 20% smaller brains, more feeble immune system, and poorer sense of smell. Maintained as pets, although some small feral populations do exist. Raised for their meat in some parts of the world.

Egyptian Wolf Canis lupus lupaster Critically endangered, unknown Far Northern Africa
A smaller subspecies. Usually a grizzled or tinged gray or brown. Lanky. Very rarely encountered.

Eurasian Wolf Canis lupus lupus Stable Western Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, China, Mongolia, Himalaya Mountains
An average to large-sized subspecies. Generally short, blended gray fur. Largest range among wolf subspecies. Most common wolf subspecies in Europe and Asia. Population roughly 100,000. Hunted legally in some places, protected in others.

Great Plains Wolf Canis lupus nubilus Stable Southern Rocky Mountains, Midwestern United States, Eastern and Northeastern Canada, far Southwestern Canada, and Southeastern Alaska
An average-sized subspecies. Usually gray, black, buff, or reddish. The most common subspecies in the contiguous U.S. Hunted legally in parts of Canada.

Italian Wolf Canis lupus italicus Endangered Italy, Switzerland, France
An average-sized subspecies. Full canine color spectrum represented. Occupy comparatively smaller territories. Protected.

Mackenzie Valley Wolf Canis lupus occidentalis Stable Alaska, Northern Rockies, Western and Central Canada
A very large subspecies. Usually black or a blended gray or brown, but full color spectrum represented. This subspecies was reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park and Idaho starting in 1995. Hunted legally in Alaska and parts of Canada. Protected in the contiguous states.

Mexican Wolf Canis lupus baileyi Critically endangered Central Mexico, Western Texas, Southern New Mexico and Arizona
A smaller subspecies. Usually tawny brown or rusty in color. Reintroduced to Arizona starting in 1998. Current wild population 35–50. Current captive population 300. Protected.

Russian Wolf Canis lupus communis Stable, declining Central Russia
A very large subspecies. Hunted legally.
Southern-east Asian Wolf Canis lupus pallipes Stable Northern Israel, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, Iran
A small subspecies. Hunted legally in some places, protected in others.

Tundra Wolf
Canis lupus albus Stable Northern Russia, Siberia
A larger subspecies. Typically gray, with mixes of black, rust and silver, though full spectrum is represented. Hunted legally.

Subspecies information is from wikipedia--which normally I wouldn't cite, but they have a very nice table of subspecies.

Here are a few sites on the International Wolf Center's Page:
North American Subspecies
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/ ... pecies.asp
Wolves of the World
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/wow/
I don't know yet about relatedness to humans.

LonerWhiteWolf
Pup
Pup

Post by LonerWhiteWolf » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Wow thats a lot, i would of never thought of that many wolves/dogs
Thanks. And WQ Project Coordinator how did you first get interested in wolves?
<.< expect the unexpected >.>

Don’t drink and drive, cause you might hit a bump and spill. C:
Ha.

ShadowRanger
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShadowRanger » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Humans and wolves would go WAY back into the line of evolution if that is what you are looking for. In classification we separate at mammals.
~Move swiftly...Leave only Tracks~

wind
Pup
Pup

Post by wind » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Wolves go further back then humans even towards the dinosaur days, actually i forget the name but if i'm not mistaken it was the 'dire' wolf? I think the last one died 1.8mil years ago.. THE PLEISTOCENE, then humans started to evolve..

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~sustain/bio6 ... htm#Humans

As for darwin some of his facts there were no true links, but i'm sure his 'periods' are right, examples are on the sight listed
Their pawprints lead you along the trails of discovery and insight.
To look in their eyes, forever imprints your heart.
To hear their howls, forever marks your soul.
To connect with them, forever bonds your spirits.

www1.freewebs.com/midnightswind