A few questions

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Dragonbot
Pup
Pup

A few questions

Post by Dragonbot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I read a story a while back, where some wolf pups were born with deformations, like twisted paws. Could something like this happen in real life? Would a wolf abandon their pup if it was deformed?

Also, let's say an eagle/bird of prey grabbed one of the pups. Would the pup die from talon wounds? And if for some reason the eagle dropped the pup, what are the chances it would survive the fall?
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

Liwanu
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Liwanu

Re: A few questions

Post by Liwanu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:40 pm

I am unsure whether "wolf" pups specifically have defects, but I do know that dogs can be born with such deformities, based on recessive genes carried by both of the pup's parents. For these reasons, it could be a possibility that wolves can have defects, but I am no expert to state that as a fact.
I also do not believe that mothers will abandon their supposed deformed pup, but try her best to sufficiently care for her young, and allow them to grow with the pack and become beneficial to the survival of the pack.
Moving on to your question about talon wounds, I do believe pups, and adult wolves, could die from such wounds if left untreated, as it can lead to an infectious abrasion. This goes to any other inflicted wound, it's just how it works. Unless the injuries are fairly small, it would have a very slight chance of healing.
Being dropped from a towering height will have negative effects, such as broken bones, internal corrosion, etc. The chances are very small for a pup to survive being dropped from such heights, but possibly could recover if the pup was dropped at a lower scale, which isn't really likely.

I hope this sort of answered your questions, but these are my opinions and are most likely not proven facts.
~Liwanu

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: A few questions

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Stillborn, deformed or sick pups will be abandoned so that the mother can care for the healthiest pups.