Do/would wolves recognize their names?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

victortiti89
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Do/would wolves recognize their names?

Post by victortiti89 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Do wolves living in sanctuaries or working/interacting with people "know" and react to their names? Dogs do, but does it mean wolves know this as well? Thank you for taking your time to read this...:)

DaniBeez

Re: Do/would wolves recognize their names?

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Commenting on this so I can remember to respond later when I get home. Unless someone beats me to it!
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Hm....interesting question,
I've heard that wolves, even if you start calling them a certain name at birth, they will not respond/recognise to that name later on. But this is only what I've heard, maybe they do. I don't work at a wolf sanctuary, I don't even work with real wolves at all so I really can't give any helpful information.
☁️----------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------------------☁️----------------------------------------☁️--------------------☁️---------☁️------🌨️----------🌨️------------☁️--------------🌧️------🌧️----🌧️---------------------🌧️-----------🌦️--------------------🌦️---------⛅---------------------⛅-------------------🌤️------------------⛅----🌤️-----------☁️-------------------------------------------------☀️-------------------------------------------------------☁️-----------------------------------------------------☁️——————-☁️👒
(0u0)
/⌊_⌋\
🌻🌼 ---| | ---🌼🌷
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Av/Sobakka|Sig/Me

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:56 pm

From personal experience, yes. I've been up close with wolves at two wolf centres and a few different zoo's. Wolves, much like many other mammals, can learn and respond to their names very easily. Just like dogs, they learn to associate the word with themselves (and they usually know it means food too :) ). They can also relearn a new name even in adulthood.

Wolves are pretty intelligent and can learn a lot of basic commands as well such as sit, lay down and shake.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:01 am

Yes. I've known a few. They knew their names.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Locking thread to prevent repeated answers as it seems the question has been answered already.
Topic locked.