Question About White Wolves

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Hyena4Life

Question About White Wolves

Post by Hyena4Life » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:05 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do white wolves only live in the Arctic? If not what are the chances of a white wolf pup being born in the wild?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Question About White Wolves

Post by Koa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 am

Firstly, all wolf pups are born with a dark pelt color. This is also true for the arctic wolf subspecies.They will gain their adult coloration later on.

No. White wolves can be found elsewhere. Generally, wolves have earthy, natural and well-blended coat colorations consisting of multiple tints and shades; however, you can see more consistent "plain" colorations, i.e., white and black. You will not see a solid "brown" or "grey" wolf and so forth. Also, the coat color of older, aging wolves can actually "fade" to white.

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Hyena4Life wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do white wolves only live in the Arctic? If not what are the chances of a white wolf pup being born in the wild?
I've never heard of an Arctic wolf living elsewhere aside from their naturally cooler homes, but I have heard of (and seen) Canadian Arctic, and Timber Arctic wolves in the lower 48. I'm not exactly sure how these cross species came to be but I doubt you would see a pure-blooded Arctic wolf willingly residing in the continental U.S. unless said wolf lived in captivity with a controlled environment.

As Koa stated above, all wolf pups are born dark, and that is regardless of how they will look upon maturing and reaching adulthood. It was actually a very good question.
"... therein, to conquer our demons, we have naught to lose but more to gain, we must first learn to conquer ourselves from within."

Rosemarrie
Name: Rose

Post by Rosemarrie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 am

• Even arctic wolves have mixed in shades! As Koa stated, there are never 'solid' coat patterns! Even the subspecies of the arctic wolf will carry other coloration, believe it or not!
      the toronto zoo official website wrote:Arctic wolves have white fur year-round which allows them to blend into their snowy surroundings. Their coat is long and silky with soft, thick under fur. This is shed in the spring and the coat becomes shorter and less dense. The lengthy tail is bushy, and the legs are long giving it a lanky appearance. The feet are large and digitate with non-retractable claws. The forefeet have five toes and the hind feet have four. The skull is broad and the face and ears are well defined. Ears are slightly rounded and the face is less pointed than other species of wolf. This wolf is a subspecies of the gray wolf (Canis lupus). The year-round white coats and slightly shorter ears and noses distinguish them from the other subspecies of Canis lupus. They are also slightly smaller in stature. Male Arctic wolves generally weigh between 34 – 46 kg, and females between 36 – 38 kg.
      http://www.torontozoo.com/ExploretheZoo ... asp?pg=403
✲´*。. grey areas & expectations .。*´✲
⋯⋯ ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯ ⋯⋯ ⋯⋯ ⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯ ⋯⋯
( rose ) ( she/her ) ( fire valley pack )
avatar by lupinzpack | signature by me

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 am

wolf_whisperer98 wrote:
Hyena4Life wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do white wolves only live in the Arctic? If not what are the chances of a white wolf pup being born in the wild?
I've never heard of an Arctic wolf living elsewhere aside from their naturally cooler homes, but I have heard of (and seen) Canadian Arctic, and Timber Arctic wolves in the lower 48. I'm not exactly sure how these cross species came to be but I doubt you would see a pure-blooded Arctic wolf willingly residing in the continental U.S. unless said wolf lived in captivity with a controlled environment.

As Koa stated above, all wolf pups are born dark, and that is regardless of how they will look upon maturing and reaching adulthood. It was actually a very good question.

These aren’t a thing. Arctic wolves are subspecies of the gray wolf, live in the arctic, and countries have no bearing on their classification. See https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi ... bution.gif for the actual North American range of the arctic wolf. As you can see, it does not extend “in the lower 48.” You have might have mistaken white wolves for arctic wolves.

Please refrain from posting a response in this forum unless (a you are sure that responses is accurate and (b you are sure that you are not repeating information.

With that, I’ll be locking this topic to prevent additional inaccurate and/or repeated answers.

Topic locked.