Wolf Courtship

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Siaka
Pup
Pup

Wolf Courtship

Post by Siaka » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi there! Just for the purpose of my story (Hear My Call), do wolves first court before mating? Or is courting the same thing as mating? If wolves do court before mating, how long do they court for? (Sorry if it's a stupid question.)
.:HEAR MY CALL:.
One wolf
One quest
One fate

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Wolf Courtship

Post by Koa » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:01 pm

DawnWolfRising wrote:Hi there! Just for the purpose of my story (Hear My Call), do wolves first court before mating? Or is courting the same thing as mating? If wolves do court before mating, how long do they court for? (Sorry if it's a stupid question.)
Wolves will form what are called "pair bonds," and no, courting is not the same thing as mating. Pair bonds are indicative of or a result of courting. Think of courting as starting (and some might argue, "maintaining") a relationship to win over another's attention. This leads to mating. To answer your last question--

From The Wolves of Minnesota:
"Most wolf pairs form when dispersed members of different packs meet up, get along, and pair bond. They may remain together for a year or so before producing pups, or they may produce them during their first breeding season. This timing probably depends on their ages."
page 74

According to Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation, "new pairs form at all times of the year (L.D. Mech, unpublished data), and existing pairs remain together year-round" (42).

So that you have a better understanding of courting, I'll provide a general description of wolf courting behavior from the same book on page 43:
"Each courting pair engages in reciprocal nuzzling, prancing, genital investigation, and scent marking (Schenkel 1947; Rabb et al. 1967)."

Siaka
Pup
Pup

Re: Wolf Courtship

Post by Siaka » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Ahh, thanks, Koa! This clears things up ^^
.:HEAR MY CALL:.
One wolf
One quest
One fate

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator