Can a blind wolf survive?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Can a blind wolf survive?

Post by Maddoka » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:11 pm

If a wolf is born blind in nature, is it able to survive? And if it is, would it die early because of it's blindness?
I WANTED TO CLICK PREVIEW!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Can a blind wolf survive?

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:21 pm

CLBaileyi answered this question awhile ago.
CLBaileyi wrote:Zea stated:
Actually blind wolves do survive quite well in the wild. They may not be able to see but with their amazing sense of smell and hearing you would never have guessed they were blind in the first place. Blind wolves in packs survive exceedingly well, and are just like any other pack member. I read a book on it a long time ago.
Zea-

I am very curious what type of book you read this in-a story or a natural history/biologist written book. I have never read of it except in fiction books (which I have to admit I question their biological basis for statements quite a bit at times-depending of course on the statement and the book story line). I know of no studies where they have determined that a completely bind wolf being able to survive for any significant period of time in the wild. It has happened with single wolves in captivity without doubt, but that is a unique situation. A wolf that has some limited vision could potentially survive in the wild with a pack. Although their sight is not their most relied on sense for survival, it still has value when combined with all of the senses an animal needs to survive in the wild.

Just as a side note, we do know of 3-legged wolves (missing either a front or back leg) do survive in the wild in pack situations very well. It has been documented on several occasions.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 15#p112045

More recent thread with answers here:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... d#p1939655

So, a blind wolf would likely not survive in the wild. I'd say it is more likely to die earlier on in life, as well.

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm

It would have been quite interesting if a blind wolf in the wild would have been studied or something, to actually see some proof of it not surviving...
But this is a great answer to my question, thank you.
I WANTED TO CLICK PREVIEW!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:17 pm

You're welcome.
Topic locked.