Gray and Arctic wolves interacting/breeding?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Gray and Arctic wolves interacting/breeding?

Post by roguemoon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:01 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible for Gray and Arctic wolves to cross paths and interact, even possibly mate and form a pack? I imagine it is very unlikely, especially since Arctic wolves live much further north than Gray wolves but perhaps in places northern Canada (ex. northern Alberta and the southern areas of the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut) or Alaska, where the ranges of Gray wolves and Arctic wolves would be closer, it could be possible.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Gray and Arctic wolves interacting/breeding?

Post by Koa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:49 pm

It is, in a basic sense, possible for subspecies of a species to interbreed with another subspecies; however, it does not appear that arctic wolves would "cross paths" with other subspecies in the way of breeding given their location. (Just so you know, arctic wolves are not a separate species of wolf.)

(In a general sense) I should add that breeding "seasons" vary as well based on location. That, and if there are plenty of other wolves around, I would expect they would breed with their own kind.

EDIT: These are some illustrated ranges:
C.l. occidentalis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest ... _range.png
C.l. nubilus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pla ... _range.png
C.l. arctos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_wo ... bution.gif

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Ah I hadn't taken mating seasons into account. Good point to add. I believe arctic wolves mate later in the year than their cousins, correct?

And I hadn't been entirely sure of the ranges either. Every single range map I'd looked at was different, some maps I found for the arctic wolf range extended all the way to the border of Alberta and the Northwest Territories so I had assumed they were commonly found that far south.

Thank you for your answer Koa!

"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 pm

You're welcome.
Topic locked.

EDIT:
When do wolves breed? Wolves breed once a year in late winter or early spring depending on where they live. For example, gray wolves in the Western Great Lakes region breed in February to March, while gray wolves in the arctic may breed a few weeks later – in March to April.
wolf.org