Wolf hybrids

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Wolf hybrids

Post by Jeames » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 am

I don't think this question has ever been asked or answered before and actually I don't think it's really necessary to ask this but I'm a very curious person and this question came to mind yet I have not find a single answer on it. I wanna know more about wolves even though I already know quite the basics. And this belongs to questions about wolves still, for the most of it, so I guessed there would be at least someone here who could answer this for me. Because I'm actually really curious about this. c:

But, have there ever been records of wolf hybrids living in a wild wolf pack? I know dogs and wolves can breed and have offspring, and that there are wild/stray dogs in some countries. But has this ever happened before, that a wild/stray dog came along and that wolf hybrids were born in a wild pack?

Oh, and I read on the internet that black full blood wolves actually have dog blood in them in the distance (going back in time). Because wild black wolves didn't exist, before in parts of in the world breeding began with dogs. Is that true? Like, that the gene for black coat color in wolves is actually a gene from far dog family members?
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Wolf hybrids

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:25 am

Hmm, I did some searching around and so far only found this- http://puu.sh/jeuR7/3563e6f12f.png ( from here), so it does look like wolfdogs mixing with wild wolf packs has been an occurrence. I haven't found anything about other wolf hybrids, though.. :x

For your second question; I've read that before too! Interestingly enough black wolves are a lot more common in America than in Europe.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/biolo ... bout-80301

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh I see, so it was indeed true that the black coat color came from dogs in the past? That's actually pretty cool and interesting. And thanks for looking all this information up for me, for both questions. Much appreciate it. <3

I've learned something new today, and a certain thought of mine has been turned into a fact. Neat!
I guess these questions are answered now. :'D
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks Anduril!

Topic locked