Caught in the middle oof a fight?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Caught in the middle oof a fight?

Post by Pelican » Mon May 12, 2014 3:55 pm

If two wolf pack territories were to overlap, and the packs ended up fighting, would it be likely for a lone wolf to get stuck in the middle of the fight if one was nearby? What would happen to the lone wolf- would it be killed or just chased off or what?

Chumpkins_
Name:

Re: Caught in the middle oof a fight?

Post by Chumpkins_ » Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

A lone wolf would likely avoid the fighting, I believe.
_-:¡!*"*!¡:-_
_-:¡!*"Warden"*!¡:-_
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
In war, victory
In peace, vigilance
In death, sacrifice
. . . . . . . . . . . . .

av/sig: alethe

jumpinglion
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by jumpinglion » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am

Yes very true or it may try join one of the pack
Lion Never Gives Up
  • strong
    proud
    brave
    handsome
    fast

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

• I think there are many possible outcomes for this situation Pelican.

From the perspective of the loner, he might find it advantageous to stay near, but not near enough in the sense to join the fight--just be close enough to observe what happens after. He probably would not want to risk injury or wasting energy getting involved in a conflict that doesn't involve him. Maybe a breeding spot will open up in one of the packs if the fight is particularly violent, resulting in a death, or a former key pack member is chased off for good. But if nothing comes out of a squabble, maybe in the case of regular overlapping territory tensions, then I think that loner would probably just continue doing what he was doing before, whether that be seeking a pack to join (in the case of a dominant missing), or seek another place without an established pack to find a mate.

And I would think that if two packs were in the middle of a conflict, then the loner might not be noticed until after, with only his scent to give away that he was there, unless he lingered very close by and a wolf caught sight of him. In that case, perhaps the fight would break for a moment while he was chased off by some of the pack.

If you wanted a better answer, I would try to find some footage. I think there's a Yellowstone series on Netflix that has a situation similar to this that you described...I think its called Yellowstone: Battle for Life.