Fights for territory

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

[Scribbles]
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Fights for territory

Post by [Scribbles] » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:01 pm

I have both seen and read that wolves will in a sense "fight" for territory. I have not heard of any real fighting, although I have heard that if a wolf pack is large enough they may kick out another pack from their territory and take it. Is this true? If it is, what happens to the pack that is kicked out? Do they split up and find other packs to join? Or do they simply die off or live as loners? Do they stay together and find a new territory?
You don't have a soul.
You are a soul.
You have a body.
~C.S. Lewis

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Fights for territory

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:01 am

Wolves are territorial, yes, but if confrontation can be avoided, they will avoid it. Fighting does take a considerable amount of energy, as well. If the territories were to overlap, there would be an increased risk for confrontation and potential deaths from each pack once confrontation ensued; however, they would likely try to intimidate each other, first. There are some good threads and posts here regarding this matter:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... y#p1261097
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... y#p1384359

For the latter part of your question, it depends on the members killed. If both of the dominant animals were killed, I would presume the pack would split up and become loners until they are old enough to find mates. If there are any remaining members that are pups, they would likely die. If one breeding member remained, the would likely try to find a new mate with their surviving members.

Nere
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Nere » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm

I have a question. Has there ever been a wolf who has stayed a loner for his or her entire life and survived? While establishing it's own territory. It seems extremely impossible, but I was just wondering.
Будь бесстрашным храбрым и хитрым

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:02 pm

SinnedAshes wrote:I have a question. Has there ever been a wolf who has stayed a loner for his or her entire life and survived? While establishing it's own territory. It seems extremely impossible, but I was just wondering.
I don't know of any "specific" records. Keep in mind that wolves are born in packs and not born as loners, so technically they wouldn't be a loner for their entire lives. If you're referring to a wolf being a loner for the rest of its lifespan after it leaves its natal pack, I think it would be possible, but rare. Wolves typically leave their packs to seek out mates and to start a pack of their own; the time of their life in which they do this varies. Hunting alone is much more difficult than hunting together in a pack; there's a lot more risk involved. A loner wolf would have to consume smaller animals and I'd imagine they would have trouble on their own hunting larger game (as even wolves in packs have their fair share of trouble in hunts). If the animal became injured, for instance, I would think that their death would be more likely.

Aside from what I've said, there are already a few topics and responses that go into depth about loners (in general), so I recommend you read those.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... r#p1749592
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... r#p1321319

Considering this thread concerns an entirely different matter, I will be locking this.