Wolves - Can they be Nomadic?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Starz10

Wolves - Can they be Nomadic?

Post by Starz10 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:32 pm

I heard they can... but then again, I could be wrong xD. So can wolves be Nomadic? (Nomadic means to never settle in one place, your always on the move. No place is your permanent home :P)
Starz10
▬▬▬▬

"And her eyes were as bright as a million stars, gazing at the azure skies afar"

WolfQuest Community Member Since 2012

Call me Stardust or Star

▬▬▬▬

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Wolves - Can they be Nomadic?

Post by Koa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:16 pm

It depends upon whether or not their prey migrates a great deal or not. If their prey will move, so will they, but in general, wolf territories do shift with the season. The extent shift will depend on (a the prey they are going after (b how much/in length does the prey have to migrate, and so on. Regardless, yes, certain wolves can be nomadic or may not preside over a territory at all in some phases, but the extent of a "nomadic lifestyle" depends on the factors of location, prey, and the pack itself.
Generally, wolves are nomadic during about half the year after their pups have grown and developed enough to move with them. At least one study has suggested that the first movements of the nomadic phase are perhaps the most extensive of all (Fritts and Mech 1981). The most instructive information about movements during the nomadic phase derives from aerial snow tracking of wolves (Burkholder 1959; Mech 1996b; Jordon et al. 1967; Haber 1977; Peterson 1977).
- from Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation