how much can a wolf eat?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Cheyannfelts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

how much can a wolf eat?

Post by Cheyannfelts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:06 pm

:| i think a puppy can eat 20 oz. of elk at 3/2 weeks :mrgreen:
CHEY~

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: how much can a wolf eat?

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Since this seems like more of a question I'll go ahead and move it appropriately. ^^

-Moved to Wolf Q&A-

This may help answer your question:
How much do wolves eat?

Getting enough to eat is a full-time job for a wolf. When wolves catch and kill a large mammal, they will gorge and then rest while the food is being rapidly digested. They will generally consume all but the hide, some of the large bones and skull and the rumen (stomach contents of ungulates) of their prey. Gray wolves can survive on about 2 1/2 pounds of food per wolf per day, but they require about 7 pounds per wolf per day to reproduce successfully. The most a large gray wolf can eat at one time is about 22.5 pounds. Adult wolves can survive for days and even weeks without food if they have to. Growing pups, however, require regular nourishment in order to be strong enough to travel and hunt with the adults by the autumn of their first year. Wolves often rely on food they have cached after a successful hunt in order to see them through lean times.

Red wolves may eat 2 to 5 pounds of food per day when prey is abundant. Because they are smaller than gray wolves, they can consume less at one time than their larger cousins. But like all wolves, eating for red wolves is a matter of "feast" followed by "famine".

READ!: Wolf Q&A - Frequently Asked Questions (Updated): http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Cheyannfelts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cheyannfelts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm

CHEY~

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

I'll be locking this to prevent repeated answers now that your question has been answered by flower. (: Also, please remember to include three or more words in each of your posts in the future, as otherwise they may be considered a form of spam. Thank you!

>>Locked<<