Eating Habits/Gestation Periods/Other

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Eating Habits/Gestation Periods/Other

Post by 1BitJay » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I have a few questions regarding the diets of wolves.

1. If a few different wolf species are in the same environment, will they have different preferences?

2. What kind of 'human' objects are known to be found in Wolves' stomaches?

3. What is the length of a normal wolf pregnancy?

4. How are the wolves positioned when giving birth?

5. Do two paws hit the ground or one paw hit the ground while running?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Eating Habits/Gestation Periods/Other

Post by Sambhur » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm

This website answers questions 1 & 3: http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/c ... _grey.html
Diet

Grey Wolves are carnivores and their prey depends upon their geographic location, availability and if they are hunting alone or together as a pack.

If hunting as a pack they will prey upon large ungulates such as moose, american bison, muskox, reindeer and yak. If hunting alone they will take small mammals such as beavers, rabbits or rodents. They will also eat carrion or rubbish if it is available.

I doubt just because they are different species, they would have different preferences in what they eat. They're not as choosy as other animals may be, as they have a wider choice as a top predator, with the ability to take down a wide variety of prey items.

As for your third question:
After a gestation period of 9 weeks,

I couldn't seem to find answers for your other questions though, sorry! However, if you watched videos relating to your 4th and 5th questions, you're likely to find an answer.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Eating Habits/Gestation Periods/Other

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Jewelz wrote:This website answers questions 1 & 3: http://www.theanimalfiles.com/mammals/c ... _grey.html
Diet

Grey Wolves are carnivores and their prey depends upon their geographic location, availability and if they are hunting alone or together as a pack.

If hunting as a pack they will prey upon large ungulates such as moose, american bison, muskox, reindeer and yak. If hunting alone they will take small mammals such as beavers, rabbits or rodents. They will also eat carrion or rubbish if it is available.

I doubt just because they are different species, they would have different preferences in what they eat. They're not as choosy as other animals may be, as they have a wider choice as a top predator, with the ability to take down a wide variety of prey items.

As for your third question:
After a gestation period of 9 weeks,

I couldn't seem to find answers for your other questions though, sorry! However, if you watched videos relating to your 4th and 5th questions, you're likely to find an answer.

Wolves are not necessarily "top" or "apex" predators. Bears can easily overpower them in both physical strength and in the food chain. Just thought I'd clarify.

In addition, there are "four species" of wolves - the red "wolf," (which is just a coyote hybrid), the Eastern wolf, (also has a ridiculous amount of coyote blood from generations of hybridization, so why it was named a species is beyond me), the Gray wolf, and the Ethiopian wolf. I won't even count the red wolf nor Eastern wolf as species in my personal opinion, since they are both so far gone in hybridization from irreversible generations of breeding between coyotes and wolves.

So, the best way to look at it would be subspecies of the Gray wolf - not species. But, As Jewelz mentioned, their diets ought to be similar overall.

2. What kind of 'human' objects are known to be found in Wolves' stomaches?
The wolf would likely need to be habituated and situated around residential areas to ingest such objects/food, which can be very dangerous. Even though you are looking for specifics, I'd reckon anything they'd find in trash cans and lying around can count. Will they eat everything in sight? Not necessarily, but they are opportunistic feeders, so keep that in mind.