Do lone wolves band together?

Post wolf-related questions and we'll try our best to find the answers.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

The Olive lord
Pup
Pup

Do lone wolves band together?

Post by The Olive lord » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 am

Well I'm thinking about writing a story in the User writings but I dont know a lot about wolves so I'm asking here if two or more lone wolves will band together to create a "pack".
I know that if a wolf finds a mate they will create a pack but I want to know that if maybe two wolves meet, would they travel together even if they're not mates?
The situation in my story is a wolf meets another wolf that is younger then her, they're both loners would they travel together?
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein

celawolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Madi

Re: Do lone wolves band together?

Post by celawolf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

well most times they do, but if they are more of the shy or aggressive type then they prob would not join other lone wolves
celawolf

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:25 pm

The Olive lord wrote:Well I'm thinking about writing a story in the User writings but I dont know a lot about wolves so I'm asking here if two or more lone wolves will band together to create a "pack".
I know that if a wolf finds a mate they will create a pack but I want to know that if maybe two wolves meet, would they travel together even if they're not mates?
The situation in my story is a wolf meets another wolf that is younger then her, they're both loners would they travel together?
celawolf wrote:well most times they do, but if they are more of the shy or aggressive type then they prob would not join other lone wolves
They may travel together but generally they will split up if they are of the same gender or will not travel together at all/ignore each other. If they are opposite genders and unrelated, chances are they will become mates; wolves are not like humans and are very opportunistic.

Siblings will occasionally disperse together, but as previously mentioned, will eventually split up to prevent inbreeding.

Hope that answers your question.

The Olive lord
Pup
Pup

Post by The Olive lord » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for answering my question with such great information! I'll be sure to make it so that my story is pretty accurate.
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for helping answer the question Koa! Since the question has been answered, I'll go ahead and lock. ^^

-Locked-
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~